Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's that burning smell?

What's that burning smell?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about
Default What's that burning smell?

Well we've started to burn our bridges here in the UK. House valued and up for sale and I finish work in the UK at the end of March with the plan to get on a plane in April.

I've got 95 points so I'm going in search of the job I need (IT manager) alone, leaving the family in the UK (hopefully in rental accommodation) while my lad takes his GCSEs.

The plan is to get a job offer to take the points over the EOI threshold and apply for residency. I'll do police checks for me and OH in March so they run for a good few months. Any advice on medicals anyone? My guess is that I should wait for the job offer and then get mine done in NZ and wife to get hers done in the UK and DHL over results?

All very scary :scared: but fun too . I'll let you all know how we get on.

Anyone got a check list of things to remember to do?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's that burning smell?

Originally Posted by Radio Ham
Well we've started to burn our bridges here in the UK. House valued and up for sale and I finish work in the UK at the end of March with the plan to get on a plane in April.

I've got 95 points so I'm going in search of the job I need (IT manager) alone, leaving the family in the UK (hopefully in rental accommodation) while my lad takes his GCSEs.

The plan is to get a job offer to take the points over the EOI threshold and apply for residency. I'll do police checks for me and OH in March so they run for a good few months. Any advice on medicals anyone? My guess is that I should wait for the job offer and then get mine done in NZ and wife to get hers done in the UK and DHL over results?

Hi there

I found this and found it very useful;

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/neuraln...stodolist.html

Good luck to you
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Westies... A couple of things I'd not picked up there, so most helpful .
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: What's that burning smell?

Hi,

95 points I wonder if you claimed the extra bonus points for being in IT PROFESSION which is listed on Long-term as well as Short-term skills in demand for NZ Immigration.

Ghanghro

Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ghangro

You can only claim these points if you have job offer in an area of need to back them, unfortunately. I submitted an EOI 18 months ago which looked like 155 points... but after assessment by NZIS was reduced to 95. The point you make was one reduction, my degree not being in IT was another hit and the rejection of my wife's NVQ3 was the final blow.

So over to plan B : Get a job before resubmitting the EOI. The whole process is weighted towards that now, NZ just dont want any more new faces being allowed in to just claim welfare.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

Hi again,

I'm affraid that you are mixing two different things. OK let me explain:

1. You surely get bonus points if your occupation is IT, provided that its supported by the evidences such as Formal Education as well as previous experience. This rule applied to both categories, With Job Offer and Without.

2. Most probably, your points were reduced bcoz of not being able to support your claims by showing formal education in IT.

3. Wife's bonus points based on qualifications + experience is entirely a different thingy and has nothing to do with if you are claiming points for Skills in Demand or not. Also it wouldnt matter if you've job offer or not.

Hope it helps ...

Ghanghro.

Hi Ghangro

You can only claim these points if you have job offer in an area of need to back them, unfortunately. I submitted an EOI 18 months ago which looked like 155 points... but after assessment by NZIS was reduced to 95. The point you make was one reduction, my degree not being in IT was another hit and the rejection of my wife's NVQ3 was the final blow.

So over to plan B : Get a job before resubmitting the EOI. The whole process is weighted towards that now, NZ just dont want any more new faces being allowed in to just claim welfare.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi ghanghro

Let me be clearer... I claimed the IT profession points (I have worked in IT for over 20 years and have a variety of IT qualifications - Prince2, ITIL etc) and NZIS do not recognise the IT profession points without a job offer.

Thanks for you respose though.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again,

Perhaps you did not focus well on my point and speically the clause "AND" between Qualification + Experience. You need to support both if you are claiming bonus points without a job offer.

I've myself claimed the Bonus points and I did not have a job offer from NZ. I scored 120 points altogether.

Try reading Guide 1105 (can be found on nzis web site) in details, its quite clear there about how to claim bonus points.

Ghanghro.

Hi ghanghro

Let me be clearer... I claimed the IT profession points (I have worked in IT for over 20 years and have a variety of IT qualifications - Prince2, ITIL etc) and NZIS do not recognise the IT profession points without a job offer.

Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Radio Ham,

Just to help you more on this issue:

Try this quick points calculator at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
  • In Skilled Emplyement / Job Offer select NO for everything.
  • In Qualifications (say YES that you've a recognized qualification) select YES for Future Growth Areas, Clusters and Absolute Skills Shortage
  • In Work Experience select YES for Future Growth Areas, Clusters and Absolute Skills Shortage
Press calculate button and notice that although you selected NO JOB OFFER, still you are able to get the bonus points.

Ghanghro.

Hi ghanghro