British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   whats the best way to get around NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whats-best-way-get-around-nz-524425/)

timdy Mar 25th 2008 10:23 pm

whats the best way to get around NZ?

Hello all

firstly, many thanks to all who gave help for our ealier post on flights to NZ.

this time we are looking for advice on getting around NZ. We are looking to go to NZ in AUG this year for 3 weeks and at present are thinking about hiring a camper van as we think that would be the most cost effective way as compared to hiring a car and staying at b&b or motels etc. is this correct?

or, is there another option?

irnbru14 Mar 25th 2008 10:41 pm

Re: whats the best way to get around NZ?

Originally Posted by timdy (Post 6111044)
Hello all

firstly, many thanks to all who gave help for our ealier post on flights to NZ.

this time we are looking for advice on getting around NZ. We are looking to go to NZ in AUG this year for 3 weeks and at present are thinking about hiring a camper van as we think that would be the most cost effective way as compared to hiring a car and staying at b&b or motels etc. is this correct?

or, is there another option?

Hovercraft, its always the best way to travel :rofl::rofl:

3 weeks is not a lot of time, it sounds like it is but not really by the time you take into account your flights over and back and the effect of jet lag. List out the places you REALLY want to go then work out the easiest route to get in as many of these places as possible, but don't overdo it!! Most main roads in NZ would be laughed at as A roads back home, quite hilly and windy, especially down in the South Island.

Car hire is good, lots of motels/hostels to stay in, train is limited but well worth a trip over Arthurs Pass one way to/from Christchurch, you should really experience the fantastic ferry journey between islands, but don't rule out flying anywhere, domestic flights are regular and can make things so much easier to get around (ie 35 mins between WElly and C'church compared to however many hours of ferry journey and driving).

I would also recommend the local coach service with Newmans/Intercity as pretty good, and you meet some locals that way too...

RobClubley Mar 25th 2008 11:12 pm

Kiwi Experience bus? (joke)

Nerine Mar 26th 2008 1:31 am

If you're planning to cover big distances I'd say fly and pick up a car/camper van for the shorter stretches. The roads aren't the best in the world and not as fast as you may hope for.

RobClubley Mar 26th 2008 1:39 am

Have a look at our blog (link in my sig) for our South Island trip postings in December. We did a loop around the South Island in 8 days, which I would say is the absolute minimum, and was mostly travelling by road.
There are route maps on the blog which might help you.
I agree that a campervan is probably the most cost effective.
As mentioned It might be worth looking at some local flights to cut down on the road trips.
PM me your email address and I'll email you a scan of a map I have with travel times on all major routes. It's pretty accurate in my experience and will give you a good idea of what distances you can realistically cover.

Edit: Here's a direct link to day one to save you some browsing :) http://clubley.blogspot.com/2007/12/...trip-day1.html

Jac&Adie Mar 26th 2008 1:42 am

The beer scooter always works for me :p

(sorry nothing constructive to add)

irnbru14 Mar 26th 2008 1:54 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6111225)
Kiwi Experience bus? (joke)

I did, well, for a bit :rofl:

irnbru14 Mar 26th 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6111714)
Have a look at our blog (link in my sig) for our South Island trip postings in December. We did a loop around the South Island in 8 days, which I would say is the absolute minimum, and was mostly travelling by road.
There are route maps on the blog which might help you.
I agree that a campervan is probably the most cost effective.
As mentioned It might be worth looking at some local flights to cut down on the road trips.
PM me your email address and I'll email you a scan of a map I have with travel times on all major routes. It's pretty accurate in my experience and will give you a good idea of what distances you can realistically cover.

The Lonely Planet book for NZ also has some good suggested routes around both islands, depending on time and what you want to see, its a good buy for coming here anyway :thumbup:

RobClubley Mar 26th 2008 2:00 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 6111778)
I did, well, for a bit :rofl:

I hear you can usually experience a kiwi or two on the bus.

Or something.

irnbru14 Mar 26th 2008 2:23 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6111803)
I hear you can usually experience a kiwi or two on the bus.

Or something.

I seem to remember a great dane, and several nice swedes, not sure about Kiwis.... ;)

RobClubley Mar 26th 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 6111902)
I seem to remember a great dane, and several nice swedes, not sure about Kiwis.... ;)

Dogs and vegetables?

I heard it was bad, but didn't think it was that kinky!