Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whats the best route to fly!!!

Whats the best route to fly!!!

Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the best route to fly!!!

2 adults and 3 kids between 10 & 13.

Now I dont know about you lot but the thought of keeping them on a plane for over a day just ain't gonna happen. I want to kill 'em at the best of times

So my question to you all is...... a route to take where we can have a couple of nights rest half way over. Somewhere nice & not expensive.

I know its all about personal choice but if I can pinch a few ideas off here it should help me decide.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best route to fly!!!

Originally Posted by kato33

Now I dont know about you lot but the thought of keeping them on a plane for over a day just ain't gonna happen. I want to kill 'em at the best of times

So my question to you all is...... a route to take where we can have a couple of nights rest half way over. Somewhere nice & not expensive.

I know its all about personal choice but if I can pinch a few ideas off here it should help me decide.
Just go non stop with Singapore Airlines. With all the seat back entertainment the kids'll love it. My two (12 & 14) were fine, watched films and played games all the time. Just get it over with in one long 24 hour period rather than drag it out for a few days. IMHO. :-)
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:39 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

We intended to stop over in Singapore, had it provisionally booked. But we had a real hitch with our visas so took the first flight available once they came through and came straight over via Seoul. No problems whatsoever.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Just go non stop with Singapore Airlines. With all the seat back entertainment the kids'll love it. My two (12 & 14) were fine, watched films and played games all the time. Just get it over with in one long 24 hour period rather than drag it out for a few days. IMHO. :-)
ditto
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

We're going via Hong Kong this time. Has anyone been to the Disneyland there?

Alison
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

mitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant futuremitchuk has a brilliant future

the best advice is to avoid going via the USA ..

if you go through Kuala Lumpa they have a transit hotel which is airside.

All you do is get off the plane ..walk to the hotel (in the terminal) and sleep ...then the next morning walk to the departure gate and fly to Auckland

you don't even need to collect and check in the baggage ...we did this on the return route and i would recommend it ..

obviously if your only 2-3 hours between flights it wouldn't work ..
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:31 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mitchuk
the best advice is to avoid going via the USA ...
I agree, unless you would like or need the extra luggage allowance.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Cosmic Onion is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Whats the best route to fly!!!

That's 230Kg (LA) vs 100Kg (Hong Kong) luggage allowance with 5 persons.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

We went 6 hours to Dubai and stayed two days. 6 hours to Singapore and stayed 4 days then to New Zealand. Kids had never flown before. They would never have been able to see these places and loved it all.
Carole
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We did Singapore sweetie with our 4, younger than yours, and it was sweet as ... can't remember where we stayed, but I'll ask Hubster and if you ever called me I'd be able to advise!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

My folks are doing MAN-Dubai-Singapore-Brisbane-Auckland and are doing AKL-Sydney (making own way to Melbourne) then MEL-SIN-Dubai-MAN

If/when we go back Im up for visiting Dubai and maybe stop in Brisbane for a day or 2
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I found a 3 night stopover in Singapore made it feel more like a holiday and it was good after all the hassle around the move, to have a mini break (nothing you could actually do for the first time in ages) before having to get stuck into house hunting etc.....I think a stopover makes the time difference easier to adapt to as well. We did have to collect all the luggage though.
I really didn't like the outdoor heat in Singapore either so NZ was a blessed relief after that.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

I want to kill 'em at the best of times
A different route to your children and meet up withthem at the other end
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
A different route to your children and meet up withthem at the other end
Now thats sound just perfect...............may just have to do that!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

seriously though, my wife and two girls 10 and 15 flew with Emirates, which not only was cheaper, they are very well known for being child friendly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.