Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's the best property type to buy???

What's the best property type to buy???

Old May 15th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's the best property type to buy???

Originally Posted by julesnye
dlmckay where in Waitakere City are you? Titirangi, New Lynn or ???
I live in Massey - not as posh as Titirangi, but a pleasant suburb nonetheless
Originally Posted by Dezza
YOu don't want bricks or roof tiles raining down on their heads - there may not be time to get them under a table!
or roofing iron, or timber beams, or the stuff shoved in the loft... so what do you do? Wear a hard hat 24/7?
Old May 16th 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

or roofing iron, or timber beams, or the stuff shoved in the loft... so what do you do? Wear a hard hat 24/7? [/QUOTE]

Obviously not but like I said you can bear in mind that you live in a seismic zone when you are choosing your house - nothing wrong with that. Of course you can't eliminate all risk from a potential quake but you can take some reasonable steps if you want to.
I choose to think about these things while I am looking for a long-term home that is my choice others don't give it a second thought that is theirs.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think people forget these are happening in some parts of the country almost on a daily basis (many thousands per year) and causing no damage or nothing more than a minor tremor that few people even notice:

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/...nt_quakes.html

Some areas get lots, others get none. Auckland is one of the least prone areas for quakes and the only one that I know of was last year and it was rather a talking point as it is quite unusual to get them here; we never felt a thing.
Old May 16th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dezza
I'm sure a lot of those poor people in China hadn't felt one before either that doesn't mean it won't happen. I believe NZ has many fault lines - which is not the case in the UK - so in theory a major one could happen in NZ at any time.
Of course you don't let the thought of such things affect your everyday life but I think maybe prudent to bear in mind when choosing your humble abode particularly if you have young children. YOu don't want bricks or roof tiles raining down on their heads - there may not be time to get them under a table!
You won't be able to find a properly brick-built house so I wouldn't worry either way...the bricks on the rare occasion they do exist are just a facade.
If it happens it happens...not something you can do much about really...a bit like terrorism in the UK...it's a definite con on the settling in NZ permanently checklist.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

Yes not worth worrying about at all really didn't see many brick built houses when I was there at all - biggun not very likely to happen and very much like the terrorism situation in the UK. I lived in and worked in London during the IRA years and just missed being blown up in the Docklands blast but you just got on with it and don't think about it so know where you're coming from.
We plan to live in Wellington not Auckland and as you say there are many earthquakes and hardly ever felt - you don't need to live in NZ to know that. Nevertheless call me old-fashioned but I would still like to bear earthquakes in mind when I choose a property. But saying that when I get down to the nitty gritty of looking at houses I may or may not give a toss as obviously price and location are most important.
I know I know I am full of neuroses about such things but there you go!!
Old May 16th 2008, 9:32 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Auckland is one of the least prone areas for quakes and the only one that I know of was last year and it was rather a talking point as it is quite unusual to get them here; we never felt a thing.
We've got a very big cat and I thought it was him jumping off to roof onto the deck