British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-you-saying-523029/)

Campbells Mar 19th 2008 7:34 pm

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ??

I can’t hear you :lol:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10499265

I think this is a positive sign that NZ is looking into the damage that these things do to hearing.

Let’s just hope they also consider the volume levels inside cars

Lawnmowers – covered that, and every good Kiwi has a pair of ear protectors

Nerine Mar 19th 2008 9:46 pm

Re: WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ??

Our kids have got these but they're fitted with noise reducing earphones so they don't have them up too loud but I think there is also a AVLS that can be downloaded to restrict the max decibels.

iPod decks are quite cheap now so they have those too.

Campbells Mar 19th 2008 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6086424)
Our kids have got these but they're fitted with noise reducing earphones so they don't have them up too loud but I think there is also a AVLS that can be downloaded to restrict the max decibels.

iPod decks are quite cheap now so they have those too.

For drainpipe exhausts :lol::lol::lol:

Nerine Mar 19th 2008 11:41 pm

Now that would be effective! :rofl: :D

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6478387.html

Sue Mar 20th 2008 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 6085796)
I can’t hear you :lol:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10499265

I think this is a positive sign that NZ is looking into the damage that these things do to hearing.

Let’s just hope they also consider the volume levels inside cars

Lawnmowers – covered that, and every good Kiwi has a pair of ear protectors

Please could you ease up on the link to newspaper articles. Its all you ever seem to post these days.

banrock station Mar 20th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 6087162)
Please could you ease up on the link to newspaper articles. Its all you ever seem to post these days.

How do we find these things out then without a quote or a link .:confused:

BEVS Mar 20th 2008 10:29 am

Google is your friend.;)

'New Zealand News' will do it.

Pollyana Mar 20th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by banrock station (Post 6088170)
How do we find these things out then without a quote or a link .:confused:

The occasional link isn't a problem, but as Sue said its all he ever seems to pst these days.

Dezza Mar 20th 2008 8:28 pm

Campbells - thanks for posting another informative link - the mods are not speaking for everyone - seems like they are ganging up on you - watch out!!! ;)

Campbells Mar 20th 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dezza (Post 6090601)
Campbells - thanks for posting another informative link - the mods are not speaking for everyone - seems like they are ganging up on you - watch out!!! ;)

No maybe there are just the same person trying to make a point :lol::lol::lol:

BEVS Mar 20th 2008 9:59 pm

Please heed the point being made, my friend.

Dezza Mar 20th 2008 10:30 pm

or they'll send the boys round !! :eek:

mcuddy1 Mar 21st 2008 6:45 am

There must be some unwritten rules somewhere in BE, limiting the number of links to be posted. (If they were all "how wonderful life is in NZ" links) an eyelid would not be batted.
Conspiracy?

Maz Mar 21st 2008 6:52 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 6092069)
Conspiracy?

No, just boredom. :p

BEVS Mar 21st 2008 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 6092069)
If they were all "how wonderful life is in NZ" links) an eyelid would not be batted.

Nnooo. The eyelids would still be batting.

Campbells Mar 21st 2008 11:28 pm

[QUOTE=mcuddy1;6092069]There must be some unwritten rules somewhere in BE, limiting the number of links to be posted. (If they were all "how wonderful life is in NZ" links) an eyelid would not be batted.
Conspiracy?[/QUOTE]

Sue has previously banned me from this forum and mainly due to my activity on the African ( previously South Africa ) forum.

I really don’t think the “preferred:” rose-tinted outlook is limited to the NZ forum.

In South Africa there are approximately 52 murders a day so it is difficult to pretend that everything is rosy but you would be surprised how some members still try.

It seems that real issues like having a virtual bar and where to buy Bisto are what the people want to discuss.

It is interesting that I have had a few folk (overseas) send me PMs saying that although my outlook may be deemed as negative I have a “balanced” perspective of NZ.

This whole site is ultimately a business and has goals that we as members do not understand and is not transparent. I would imagine that the main revenue streams of the site are advertising and therefore attracting new members is key.

Obviously advertisers or potentional advertisers will no doubt have a look at the different section on the site prior to advertising and if people are seen to not be having a good time (everything rosy) it could be a potential to put advertiser off.

Therefore it is more attractive to present the site to advertisers saying look, we have x amount of members, x amount of new members, x amount of posts etc etc.

You know – statistics. Not really a conspiracy.

Campbells Mar 21st 2008 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6092076)
No, just boredom. :p

Yeah, I agree, site moderating must be a real boring job but there again people love staying in Palmerston North :lol::lol::lol:

lapsed kiwi Mar 21st 2008 11:54 pm

Moderators - as a bit of a compromise could we have a sticky thread entitled "NZ in the news" or even "Alarming news stories about NZ"? Soupie and his mates could then post all their links there, and people who can't otherwise read the Herald website, for whatever reason, can look at them. Then everyone would be happy.
Thanks in anticipation:)

Sue Mar 22nd 2008 4:13 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 6095062)
Moderators - as a bit of a compromise could we have a sticky thread entitled "NZ in the news" or even "Alarming news stories about NZ"? Soupie and his mates could then post all their links there, and people who can't otherwise read the Herald website, for whatever reason, can look at them. Then everyone would be happy.
Thanks in anticipation:)

Tried that in the Africa forum but a certain member just double posted the links. :blink:

As this seems to be turning into a "lets have a go at the mods" I am going to close it.

Sue