British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What a wuss (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-wuss-519671/)

Cheesehead Mar 6th 2008 7:46 pm

What a wuss

Not being a fan of anything insect, reptile or shark-like, can anyone tell me about the mosquito situation in the Nelson area? I know there are no snakes but what about other useless slithering reptilian creatures? I have no intention of swimming in the sea - this way I am unlikely to encounter any sharks.

Yeah. I know. Utterly pathetic. You can't choose your phobias!

hjmilligan Mar 6th 2008 7:52 pm

Re: What a wuss

Flies have been a problem this year with the hot dry summer we have had in N.Canterbury,but mossies i have not encountered one bite and that goes for the family too!;)

Helen

happynz Mar 6th 2008 8:06 pm

There's a species of poisonous spider, but I've never seen one and you'd have to be very unlikely to meet up with one.

No snakes. There is the tuatara which is a prehistoric critter, but it's on the endangered species list and you won't see one in your day to day life.

Frigging magpies can be a bother as they have been known to dive bomb cyclists.

I'm not sure if the Nelson area has a sand-fly problem or not.

Don't worry about the indigenous creatures. It's the feral Kiwi teen that should give you concern.

Cheesehead Mar 6th 2008 8:10 pm

Spiders - no bother. Even the poisonous ones. But feral teens? You've got me in a sweat now!

BEVS Mar 6th 2008 9:33 pm

There are pesky sandflies up this way - Nelson. Teeny small critters with an itchy , scratchy bite. You get them around the place , rather like midges, but I wouldn't say they have taken over by the swarm.

Doubtful you'd have them around your house, though the odd one may nash your ankles if you are watering the veg patch of a balmy summers evening. They tend to like water and dusk.

I've not encountered mozzies so very much here. I have an allergic re-action to those and have been targeted far worse on the european continent.

There are little tiny lizards here called skinks. They don't much like houses, preferring warm rocks & you are unlikely to see one unless you have a cat that'll bring you one in as a present.

No snakes, no sharks but some cafes have tame eels. Yuk ! Yuk and double yuk! I can't stand anything that wriggles , slithers , undulates and has no legs. Shouldn't be allowed. Bleurgh.

happynz Mar 6th 2008 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6028179)
No snakes, no sharks but some cafes have tame eels. Yuk ! Yuk and double yuk! I can't stand anything that wriggles , slithers , undulates and has no legs. Shouldn't be allowed. Bleurgh.

You would not have liked the eel tank at last year's A&P show here in Christchurch. Had a trough full of two-metre long fat black slimy eels you could try to lift. Ah, good memories...

:lol:

Persephone Mar 6th 2008 10:26 pm

Tame eels? Why why why? :confused:

Food or pets? Not my sort of pet, eels don't come across as particularly affectionate or loving or do they just have amazing personalities :rofl:

Nerine Mar 7th 2008 12:47 am

Give me mozzies over sand flies any day! those little pests used to put me off going to the beach.

hazeandsteve Mar 7th 2008 4:28 am

Take a look at this little beauty, we had one in our kitchen a few weeks ago. The cat didn't know what to do, so elegantly exited via the cat flap...:blink:

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~wwpubafs/ma...%20hand%20.jpg

It's called a Weta, and they live here.....:thumbup:

Nerine Mar 8th 2008 6:46 am

Bet they taste like prawns.

Cheesehead Mar 8th 2008 8:17 am

I am assuming that this is a gigantic front-page grabbing photo of the largest wetta of its kind ever seen and that usually they are about the size of a finger nail?

Nerine Mar 8th 2008 9:00 am

:D No, that's pretty standard.....you should see the cave wetas!

Cheesehead Mar 8th 2008 11:39 am

That's it now. I am exiting this thread - don't want to hear any more about creepie crawlies!

pumpkinlou Mar 8th 2008 12:05 pm

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Showed that piccie to OH and he says he isn't coming now!!!!!!! (Wuss or what)

YUK YUK YUK. We did a search on the net and it came up as NZ's national treasure!!!!!

Joshlin Mar 9th 2008 12:08 am

Following on from happynz re eel tank last year-we were in there having a bimble about as you do at these events when two eels made a run for it so to speak and threw themselves out of the tank. Great shrieks ensued as kids and adults alike legged it in all directions-PMSL. Ahhh the excitement of the A&P show.

Lee