Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would be your Maori song?

What would be your Maori song?

Old May 8th 2006, 5:57 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would be your Maori song?

Hi all - this is a fun thread (I hope). Was watching Billy Connolly tour of NZ last night (thought it might help to get an insight into the real NZ rather than one of those holiday DVD type things).

Anyway, he had to sing a song once he had been introduced and accepted into a Maori family. Incidently he sang about Glasgow... and another chap I watched on TV recently, sang the Beatles' 'Yesterdays'.

So this got me thinking - if and when I move to NZ, and if I were to meet with a Maori family and it is my turn to sing.... what on earth would I sing?

Dr and the Medics' Spirit in the Sky? I dont think would be appropriate...

So what would you sing - I'll keep thinking....
Old May 8th 2006, 8:12 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be your Maori song?

I don't think you'd go too far wrong with Dance to my ten guitars I just love that song
Old May 8th 2006, 8:58 pm

I think it would be a thigh slapping rendition of Wild Rover:

I've been a wild rover for many a year
And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
And now I'm returning with gold in great store
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

sing with me now : And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

Are there any irish themed pubs in NZ?
Old May 8th 2006, 9:10 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I think it would be a thigh slapping rendition of Wild Rover:

I've been a wild rover for many a year
And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
And now I'm returning with gold in great store
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

sing with me now : And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

Are there any irish themed pubs in NZ?
Lots Seemingly one of the best ones in Auckland (haven't been there myself) is The Dogs Bollix - I kid you not
Old May 9th 2006, 4:21 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Lots Seemingly one of the best ones in Auckland (haven't been there myself) is The Dogs Bollix - I kid you not
cause boll**ks is not a term used in NZ, yet.

My wife had to sing an English song on our waka (tourbus) on the way to a Maori concert in Rotorua. She tried Rule Brittannia and ended up humming after about 3 and a half lines. So be prepared I say.

ps the Tamaki Tours trip to Maori village was pretty good actually, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old May 9th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=So what would you sing - I'll keep thinking.... [/QUOTE]

My mind has gone to mush with being around children for the last 7 years, it would probably be the theme or songs from Balamory...............
My 3 year old daughter is constantly on the website, how ever we do change the words a little.

"I'm PC Plum and I've got a great big bum"

Several months ago in the middle of Morrisons, she sang at full volume, " everybody, everyone come inside and smack Daddies bum" much to the amusement of all the old bids who probably didn't know the song.
Old May 9th 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

Originally Posted by southerner

My wife had to sing an English song on our waka (tourbus) on the way to a Maori concert in Rotorua. She tried Rule Brittannia and ended up humming after about 3 and a half lines. So be prepared I say.

ps the Tamaki Tours trip to Maori village was pretty good actually, I'd recommend it to anyone.
When I taught in Auckland, one of the school buses had "BOLLOCKS" written in huge letters across the back - can't remember what the advert was for, but it tickled me at the time. The kids didn't bat an eyelid.

Seconded on the Maori village trips from Rotorua - the Tamaki one is good and the Mitai one is even better. I don't normally do the tourist thing, but I was mightily impressed with the concerts.
Old May 9th 2006, 7:27 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - this is a fun thread (I hope). Was watching Billy Connolly tour of NZ last night (thought it might help to get an insight into the real NZ rather than one of those holiday DVD type things).

Anyway, he had to sing a song once he had been introduced and accepted into a Maori family. Incidently he sang about Glasgow... and another chap I watched on TV recently, sang the Beatles' 'Yesterdays'.

So this got me thinking - if and when I move to NZ, and if I were to meet with a Maori family and it is my turn to sing.... what on earth would I sing?

Dr and the Medics' Spirit in the Sky? I dont think would be appropriate...

So what would you sing - I'll keep thinking....
Just dont try a Billy T impression
Old May 9th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner

hehe.....we did the Tamaki Hungi thing too.... the bus driver was a total nutcase and made it so enjoyable right from the moment we walked up to the bus. I wonder if we had the same driver?.... we had to pretend it was a waka as well. My dad is welsh and got persuaded to sing a whole song in welsh..... my mum was amazed as she never knew he could do that!!...theyve only been married about 50 years!! The concert was excellent and next time we have visitors we will definately go again....might not be for a while yet though
Attached Thumbnails What would be your Maori song?-dcp_1880.jpg  

Last edited by SarahB; May 9th 2006 at 8:58 am.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
My mind has gone to mush with being around children for the last 7 years, it would probably be the theme or songs from Balamory...............
My 3 year old daughter is constantly on the website, how ever we do change the words a little.

"I'm PC Plum and I've got a great big bum"

Several months ago in the middle of Morrisons, she sang at full volume, " everybody, everyone come inside and smack Daddies bum" much to the amusement of all the old bids who probably didn't know the song.
Just dont talk to me about kids today.... my 2 year old is driving me insane... he will not do one single thing that I ask him too...... hes just found the "no" word too and is starting to use it! Hes just got worse over the last couple of weeks.... its since hes starting to talk better hes just got so negative! I feel totally frazzled today as he wouldnt have a nap either and then got overtired.

He loves Balamory too and calls it "ory" at the moment... but for the last few days all I've seen is 3 episodes of Blues Clues played over and over again.

Arghhh...someone offer me a job please and get me out of this house!!! The 2 year old is taking over and I really dont want to be starring in SuperNanny in the future!! :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 3:40 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=southerner]cause boll**ks is not a term used in NZ, yet.

QUOTE]

Not too sure about what part of NZ yur familiar with but the word boll**ks has been around in NZ for years, at least in the world I hang out in when in NZ. My sons all play rugby for a club whose social team is actally called The Boll**ks
Old May 11th 2006, 11:09 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Mine wd be:
Give me a home among the gum trees
With lots of plum trees
A didgeridoo and a kangaroo
Washing line out the back, verandah out the front
And an old rocking chair

Oops it's an aus one.
Sorry but that song makes me happy and I'm sure not one of you will reply to this post but anyway... makes me feel like I really exist.
Old May 12th 2006, 9:31 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: What would be your Maori song?

My one's terrible but the Kiwi's would like it:

I'll sing you a song,
Won't take long,
All poms are b@st@rds

Second verse,
Same as the first,
All poms are b@st@rds

I'd rather be
an Oz than a pom (note from me - Actually I'd rather be a pom)
All poms are b@st@rds

That's my song
And it didn't take long
All poms are b@st@rds

-- Apologies to all the english people out there
Old May 12th 2006, 9:38 pm

Old May 13th 2006, 6:22 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

I think it's an old drinking song - always sung in jest.