British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What would you have packed - Newbie fun! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-would-you-have-packed-newbie-fun-773536/)

qssue Oct 3rd 2012 10:42 pm

What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

HI,
To all of you that have jumped the water, this is a bit of fun/help for those of us that are on our way!
Question... List the top 5 things you would have packed in your container if you were to say goodbye to your belongings next week?
ie......... M & S underwear
............kids clothing
..............furniture
.............sheets............................... .................. anything you really wish you had taken.....!!!!!!!
xxxxxx
PS, we have been selected from the pool without a job, so happy !!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Pom_Chch Oct 4th 2012 3:15 pm

Re: What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

I haven't made the move yet but when I do (hopefully early 2013, fingers crossed!):

- go crazy in Primark, stock up on underwear, socks, tshirts, anything really!
- order lots of Animal, Ripcurl etc tshirts for the OH. You can get some bargains online in the sales (tshirts for £10 if you look at the right time!)
- Ikea furniture
- a couple pairs of shoes from shoe zone!
- smart interview clothes so I don't need to faff with that when we arrive
- leather jacket from Camden market :-)

That's about it!

Congrats on the job, which part of NZ are you moving to?

qssue Oct 4th 2012 5:27 pm

Hi,
Thanks, we are still not sure if it will be Christchurch or Auckland!.... Primark here I come!!!!!

skends Oct 4th 2012 5:53 pm

qssue - good thread! I have been wondering the same too - but we will only be bringing suitcases + excess baggage - but not sure what to put in!
So far have been thinking - A fair few jeans & tshirts
- Some new M&S underwear
- Lots of shoes - i hear they are expensive in NZ
Cant wait to hear what others think.

Hurtle Oct 4th 2012 7:36 pm

We will fly on 24th of October and our container will probably ship the same day. We are unlikely to get our stuff before Xmas, or if we do it will be only just! So, what would you pack in airfreight and cases for the first few months.

First month we be in a motel, whilst looking for somewhere to rent. Once we find somewhere we will have no furniture, beds or anything else for that matter!

What did you guys do, or what would you recommend?

Can you rent stuff short term?

MrsFychan Oct 4th 2012 8:23 pm

My post is more like - What we shouldn't of packed
we packed practically the kitchen sink in our container and sooo wished we hadn't and had sold on ebay before coming over. We bought lights, still in boxes as the house we bought has a vaulted ceiling and all the other ceilings have recessed lights so no where to put our hanging lights.
Range cooker, still in its box in the garage as we don't have mains gas and most houses are sold with cookers anyway. so to get it to fit will have to rip the kitchen out and start again. so that won't be happening soon. Fridge, had to buy one for the rental when we first got here so now have two. We bought over one of the kids mattresses as it was only a year old but container took so long to come - 3wk delay. we ended up buying new and sleeping on them on the floor (something our rental firm frowned on but hey ho).

I bought lots of dressy type dresses and wished I hadn't bothered as no where to actually wear them here so couple of hundred quid just hanging in the wardrobe now.
Should really get around to trademe'ing them but its like ebay and a bit of a hassle.

Originally Posted by Hurtle (Post 10313763)
Can you rent stuff short term?

You can rent most things from Mr Rental, look them up on line and see what you won't need to bring.

MrsFychan Oct 4th 2012 8:30 pm

If you have kids and you have games console bring it over in hand luggage. Basic TV here is rubbish so was useful thing to have on the rainy days.

Sun block - coming into summer now and you will need it.
mosquito spray
If, like me, (no surely not) dye your hair ask someone here if they do your shade. They don't for mine so on a trip back in June I bought a years worth and will slowly have to go over to a slightly different shade :( or change colour completely :D
walking boots
If you have a Kindle update with lots of books before you come until you manage to get internet connection set up

Hurtle Oct 4th 2012 9:14 pm

I'd just discovered Mr Rental through the medium of Google, looks like the way to go until our gear arrives. We will want to be out of the motel asap as there will be 5 of us and after the first 2 weeks we will be joined by 3 cats, so if we don't find a house quick there will be bloodshed!!

Hair dye isn't a big part of my life, but then nor is hair anymore:D will stock up on sun block though, Sunsense has been recommended by a local as the best stuff.

We will be investing in new walking boots too. :thumbup:

higgy2 Oct 5th 2012 2:48 am

We got ourselves Walking Boots and a new large tent but should have invested in a Coleman Pertrol Camping Stove as very expensive in NZ.

If it will fit in the Storage Container then bring it over, as someone has already mentioned, if surplus to requirements you can sell it on Trademe.

clairesw Oct 6th 2012 5:32 pm

We're busy selling everything we own to fund the whole thing!!
One suitcase each and two dogs, that's it.

babybella Oct 6th 2012 9:50 pm

Boots no 7 skincare
Henry vacum cleaner bags, can't find them here.
Kaz

qssue Oct 6th 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10317278)
Boots no 7 skincare
Kaz

Love N07, I have £130 of boots points, so I will stock up!!!!:thumbsup:

babybella Oct 7th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by qssue (Post 10317298)

Do stock up,
I ran out of mine and have spent a fortune on Shesido (which I hated) Elizaeth Arden which I like. But I still prefered my No 7 for a fraction of the price. And yes you cannot beat M&S undies for cost, style and quality.
Kaz

Bo-Jangles Oct 7th 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10317278)
Kaz

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-519129183.htm

Expat Kiwi Oct 7th 2012 11:10 am

Second the No 7 skin care and stocking up at Primark. That's exactly what I do every time I go to Britain. If only they both posted overseas :rofl:

phyns Oct 7th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10318025)
If only they both posted overseas :rofl:

M&S do

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Inter...ry/b/183243031

Expat Kiwi Oct 7th 2012 12:00 pm

Good old M&S :thumbsup:

babybella Oct 8th 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10317912)

Thank you for the link, will check it out.
Kaz:)

tattoobarbie Oct 8th 2012 2:38 am

Hello!

We shipped over rods/bike/tv/bits and bobs/clothes. Before we left we were ruthless! If it hasn't been used in 6 months then it is ebay!! We packed 2 of everything but I wish I had packed-
Fake Tan (bloody expensive)
Another Big Jacket (although it's spring I'm freezing!)
Books (They are expensive out here)
Fav Make-up (I'm not a fan of the stuff out here, they have rimmel and those types of brands but still not a fan)
Fav shower gel/Shampoo etc (Again if they have it your lucky and it will cost)

Before I went I wish I had gone to the doctors and got a full work up and sorted out all of those niggly things and also got my eyes tested/dentist etc.

We threw out so much stuff before we left and we have given our parents/in-laws a suitcase and they are going to send one thing over every month!!:thumbsup:

lardyl Oct 9th 2012 10:44 am

Originally Posted by qssue (Post 10317298)

Postie would stock some No.7 stuff and sometimes sell it off cheap.
MrsL would do some serious stocking up on that.

RachelG12 Nov 1st 2012 10:17 pm

We are pretty much bringing everything, even the car. We figured that if we're paying for a container then we may as well fill it. Will be heading to M&S Outlet and stocking up on undies/socks/PJ's etc.

Massive Benefit Make-up fan. Good job there's a little thing called Chitmas beforevwe come over :-)

Bo-Jangles Nov 2nd 2012 7:00 am

A spare stainless steel palette knife (of the M&S kind) for when mine's in the dishwasher - never found anything of the like here and M&S wont ship one. :(

I wish I had invested in a top notch food processor, can't justify $400 to $500 for one.

Mrs Pointer Nov 2nd 2012 7:23 am

Bring everything you can, just clean the outdoors stuff.

To be honest though you do adapt to new products...my boots no7 tinted moisturiser was only factor 15 so moved to aveeno that's factor 30.

Toiletries are extortionate though.

I still get my underwear from m&s though. And the shopping isn't so good but you adapt...well I did. And you can't get my Hoover bags down here...my mum just ships em to me.

qssue May 28th 2013 4:56 pm

Just having a look through and thought that it would be good to get this going again!

Snap Shot May 28th 2013 11:28 pm

thread bumping eh ? :D

ChrisWilson7 May 29th 2013 12:24 am

There's a shop in the Re:Start mall in Christchurch that sells imported goods - loads of UK favourites in there. Need to check it out more thoroughly soon.

Things I've not found so far:

Cinnamon bagels (or even plain bagels) - though I have only tried Countdown in Sydenham who sell cheese and onion ones (not for me).
An ice scraper for my car - even if others don't, I would like to find one.

toolpath May 29th 2013 1:21 am

If you have room in a container bring everything you can.
We made the mistake of selling stuff (for a pittance) or giving away before leaving to have a fresh start. Only brought the newish stuff with us but how I
miss my assortment of screws, nails, old tools and all things collected over the years.
Furniture is expensive even second hand, items I would have taken to the skip sell for silly amounts and I still find it hard to believe the white chipboard crap cost more than solid wood.
If you have things you don't need when you get here sell them on trademe but, until you have somewhere to live how do you know what will fit and what wont.
If you still have room in the container I am sure someone on this site can fill it for you, me being one.

shocked kiwi May 29th 2013 1:53 am

:)I would bring any good quality warm clothing - such as warm woollen jackets and warm hats - the kiwis don't wear nice hats such as those you buy in Monsoon in winter - they put up with the cold and have bare heads or wear beanies that are not very attractive.
Also leather boots and nice shoes - very expensive here. I would also bring any nice designer clothes that you have as limited here or very expensive.
I would go to the doctor and dentist for check ups before leaving Uk. Buy as many face creams and nice perfume etc to last you as things such as clarins etc very expensive here. Spray deoderants very expensive here. Might not be practical though to bring as they add so much weight to your lugguge.
I would also pack lots of cash as the cost of living very expensive here compared to the Uk.

Hope this helps!

Bo-Jangles May 29th 2013 7:56 am

Things have changed dramatically since we've been here and there's little I could put on a list beside shoes and underwear that require me to be at the shop to look, feel and try on. :lol:

Certainly lately since M&S went international and we've had the groovy exchange rate; it has helped no end in alleviating my previous shopping woes and almost everything I buy now is online from overseas. I have stocked up on heaps of stuff that we were previously lacking and I actually do feel human again. :thumbsup:

M&S have been a total godsend having had free shipping for weeks on end; consequently I keep a regular check on the sales and offers and have bought all kinds, from skincare, muffin cases to towels and bedding. There are multitudes of beauty and skincare sites that will deliver stuff for free and at a fraction of the cost of things here. Next are now online locally at Ezibuy. Books are sorted with the Book Depository and Mighty Ape. We now have Specsavers and the likes. I buy pet stuff reasonably cheaply online and sometimes from Aussie e-bay. We now have a Nosh Foodmarket within striking distance which even caters to little Waitrose fixes.

We are still sadly lacking in decent shoes and clothes shopping; prices of electrical appliances and household goods are still in the stupid range.

I think my rosy view could easily change though and it will really hurt me in the wallet if the currency exchange suddenly returned to where it was a couple of years back or M&S stop doing free deliveries!

clairesw May 29th 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi (Post 10729729)
:) the kiwis don't wear nice hats such as those you buy in Monsoon in winter - they put up with the cold and have bare heads or wear beanies that are not very attractive.

Hope this helps!

I bought my beanies with me!! :D

clairesw May 29th 2013 8:40 am

Do you have to pay import duty on M&S deliveries and if so is it expensive?

Wonder if it's worth it for towels or make do with Briscoes?

Bo-Jangles May 29th 2013 9:05 am

No worries with import duty if you keep within the limits; I aim to keep order just over one hundred quid to be on the safe side.

I don't feel compelled to load up and max out the postage either when it's free and you can place several orders as a lot of us did over Xmas. :thumbup:

clairesw May 29th 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10730080)
No worries with import duty if you keep within the limits; I aim to keep order just over one hundred quid to be on the safe side.

I don't feel compelled to load up and max out the postage either when it's free and you can place several orders as a lot of us did over Xmas. :thumbup:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

ChrisWilson7 May 29th 2013 10:36 am

Originally Posted by clairesw (Post 10730041)
Do you have to pay import duty on M&S deliveries and if so is it expensive?

Wonder if it's worth it for towels or make do with Briscoes?

If they have a "Bed, Bath & Beyond" store in Auckland they are good for towels. I got some good ones from the store at the Palms in Christchurch.

jmh May 30th 2013 7:19 am

Farmers do nice towels. Wait for their sale and you get a good discount.

scrubbedexpat094 May 30th 2013 10:46 pm

But the hand towels over here are teeny tiny. For those of us who like to wrap an hand towel round our heads after washing our hair, they are useless.

Still get my towels, bed linen etc. from M&S too. Also bought some lovely clothes & shoes from Monsoon. The White Company also deliver here, they have some lovely stuff but not ordered from there as yet.