British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What would you have packed - Newbie fun! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-would-you-have-packed-newbie-fun-773536/)

qssue Oct 3rd 2012 10:42 pm

What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

HI,
To all of you that have jumped the water, this is a bit of fun/help for those of us that are on our way!
Question... List the top 5 things you would have packed in your container if you were to say goodbye to your belongings next week?
ie......... M & S underwear
............kids clothing
..............furniture
.............sheets............................... .................. anything you really wish you had taken.....!!!!!!!
xxxxxx
PS, we have been selected from the pool without a job, so happy !!!!!!
:thumbsup:

Pom_Chch Oct 4th 2012 3:15 pm

Re: What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

I haven't made the move yet but when I do (hopefully early 2013, fingers crossed!):

- go crazy in Primark, stock up on underwear, socks, tshirts, anything really!
- order lots of Animal, Ripcurl etc tshirts for the OH. You can get some bargains online in the sales (tshirts for £10 if you look at the right time!)
- Ikea furniture
- a couple pairs of shoes from shoe zone!
- smart interview clothes so I don't need to faff with that when we arrive
- leather jacket from Camden market :-)

That's about it!

Congrats on the job, which part of NZ are you moving to?

qssue Oct 4th 2012 5:27 pm

Hi,
Thanks, we are still not sure if it will be Christchurch or Auckland!.... Primark here I come!!!!!

skends Oct 4th 2012 5:53 pm

qssue - good thread! I have been wondering the same too - but we will only be bringing suitcases + excess baggage - but not sure what to put in!
So far have been thinking - A fair few jeans & tshirts
- Some new M&S underwear
- Lots of shoes - i hear they are expensive in NZ
Cant wait to hear what others think.

Hurtle Oct 4th 2012 7:36 pm

We will fly on 24th of October and our container will probably ship the same day. We are unlikely to get our stuff before Xmas, or if we do it will be only just! So, what would you pack in airfreight and cases for the first few months.

First month we be in a motel, whilst looking for somewhere to rent. Once we find somewhere we will have no furniture, beds or anything else for that matter!

What did you guys do, or what would you recommend?

Can you rent stuff short term?

MrsFychan Oct 4th 2012 8:23 pm

My post is more like - What we shouldn't of packed
we packed practically the kitchen sink in our container and sooo wished we hadn't and had sold on ebay before coming over. We bought lights, still in boxes as the house we bought has a vaulted ceiling and all the other ceilings have recessed lights so no where to put our hanging lights.
Range cooker, still in its box in the garage as we don't have mains gas and most houses are sold with cookers anyway. so to get it to fit will have to rip the kitchen out and start again. so that won't be happening soon. Fridge, had to buy one for the rental when we first got here so now have two. We bought over one of the kids mattresses as it was only a year old but container took so long to come - 3wk delay. we ended up buying new and sleeping on them on the floor (something our rental firm frowned on but hey ho).

I bought lots of dressy type dresses and wished I hadn't bothered as no where to actually wear them here so couple of hundred quid just hanging in the wardrobe now.
Should really get around to trademe'ing them but its like ebay and a bit of a hassle.

Originally Posted by Hurtle (Post 10313763)
Can you rent stuff short term?

You can rent most things from Mr Rental, look them up on line and see what you won't need to bring.

MrsFychan Oct 4th 2012 8:30 pm

If you have kids and you have games console bring it over in hand luggage. Basic TV here is rubbish so was useful thing to have on the rainy days.

Sun block - coming into summer now and you will need it.
mosquito spray
If, like me, (no surely not) dye your hair ask someone here if they do your shade. They don't for mine so on a trip back in June I bought a years worth and will slowly have to go over to a slightly different shade :( or change colour completely :D
walking boots
If you have a Kindle update with lots of books before you come until you manage to get internet connection set up

Hurtle Oct 4th 2012 9:14 pm

I'd just discovered Mr Rental through the medium of Google, looks like the way to go until our gear arrives. We will want to be out of the motel asap as there will be 5 of us and after the first 2 weeks we will be joined by 3 cats, so if we don't find a house quick there will be bloodshed!!

Hair dye isn't a big part of my life, but then nor is hair anymore:D will stock up on sun block though, Sunsense has been recommended by a local as the best stuff.

We will be investing in new walking boots too. :thumbup:

higgy2 Oct 5th 2012 2:48 am

We got ourselves Walking Boots and a new large tent but should have invested in a Coleman Pertrol Camping Stove as very expensive in NZ.

If it will fit in the Storage Container then bring it over, as someone has already mentioned, if surplus to requirements you can sell it on Trademe.

clairesw Oct 6th 2012 5:32 pm

We're busy selling everything we own to fund the whole thing!!
One suitcase each and two dogs, that's it.

babybella Oct 6th 2012 9:50 pm

Boots no 7 skincare
Henry vacum cleaner bags, can't find them here.
Kaz

qssue Oct 6th 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10317278)
Boots no 7 skincare
Kaz

Love N07, I have £130 of boots points, so I will stock up!!!!:thumbsup:

babybella Oct 7th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by qssue (Post 10317298)
Love N07, I have £130 of boots points, so I will stock up!!!!:thumbsup:

Do stock up,
I ran out of mine and have spent a fortune on Shesido (which I hated) Elizaeth Arden which I like. But I still prefered my No 7 for a fraction of the price. And yes you cannot beat M&S undies for cost, style and quality.
Kaz

Bo-Jangles Oct 7th 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by babybella (Post 10317278)
Kaz

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-519129183.htm

Expat Kiwi Oct 7th 2012 11:10 am

Second the No 7 skin care and stocking up at Primark. That's exactly what I do every time I go to Britain. If only they both posted overseas :rofl: