Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Re: What would you have packed - Newbie fun!

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
If only they both posted overseas
M&S do

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Inter...ry/b/183243031
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:00 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Good old M&S
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the link, will check it out.
Kaz
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:38 am
Confused but Alive

tattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud of

Hello!

We shipped over rods/bike/tv/bits and bobs/clothes. Before we left we were ruthless! If it hasn't been used in 6 months then it is ebay!! We packed 2 of everything but I wish I had packed-
Fake Tan (bloody expensive)
Another Big Jacket (although it's spring I'm freezing!)
Books (They are expensive out here)
Fav Make-up (I'm not a fan of the stuff out here, they have rimmel and those types of brands but still not a fan)
Fav shower gel/Shampoo etc (Again if they have it your lucky and it will cost)

Before I went I wish I had gone to the doctors and got a full work up and sorted out all of those niggly things and also got my eyes tested/dentist etc.

We threw out so much stuff before we left and we have given our parents/in-laws a suitcase and they are going to send one thing over every month!!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qssue
Love N07, I have £130 of boots points, so I will stock up!!!!
Postie would stock some No.7 stuff and sometimes sell it off cheap.
MrsL would do some serious stocking up on that.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

We are pretty much bringing everything, even the car. We figured that if we're paying for a container then we may as well fill it. Will be heading to M&S Outlet and stocking up on undies/socks/PJ's etc.

Massive Benefit Make-up fan. Good job there's a little thing called Chitmas beforevwe come over :-)
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A spare stainless steel palette knife (of the M&S kind) for when mine's in the dishwasher - never found anything of the like here and M&S wont ship one.

I wish I had invested in a top notch food processor, can't justify $400 to $500 for one.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Bring everything you can, just clean the outdoors stuff.

To be honest though you do adapt to new products...my boots no7 tinted moisturiser was only factor 15 so moved to aveeno that's factor 30.

Toiletries are extortionate though.

I still get my underwear from m&s though. And the shopping isn't so good but you adapt...well I did. And you can't get my Hoover bags down here...my mum just ships em to me.
Old May 28th 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Just having a look through and thought that it would be good to get this going again!
Old May 28th 2013, 11:28 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

thread bumping eh ?
Old May 29th 2013, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

There's a shop in the Re:Start mall in Christchurch that sells imported goods - loads of UK favourites in there. Need to check it out more thoroughly soon.

Things I've not found so far:

Cinnamon bagels (or even plain bagels) - though I have only tried Countdown in Sydenham who sell cheese and onion ones (not for me).
An ice scraper for my car - even if others don't, I would like to find one.

Last edited by ChrisWilson7; May 29th 2013 at 1:47 am.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:21 am
Just Joined

toolpath is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have room in a container bring everything you can.
We made the mistake of selling stuff (for a pittance) or giving away before leaving to have a fresh start. Only brought the newish stuff with us but how I
miss my assortment of screws, nails, old tools and all things collected over the years.
Furniture is expensive even second hand, items I would have taken to the skip sell for silly amounts and I still find it hard to believe the white chipboard crap cost more than solid wood.
If you have things you don't need when you get here sell them on trademe but, until you have somewhere to live how do you know what will fit and what wont.
If you still have room in the container I am sure someone on this site can fill it for you, me being one.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:53 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I would bring any good quality warm clothing - such as warm woollen jackets and warm hats - the kiwis don't wear nice hats such as those you buy in Monsoon in winter - they put up with the cold and have bare heads or wear beanies that are not very attractive.
Also leather boots and nice shoes - very expensive here. I would also bring any nice designer clothes that you have as limited here or very expensive.
I would go to the doctor and dentist for check ups before leaving Uk. Buy as many face creams and nice perfume etc to last you as things such as clarins etc very expensive here. Spray deoderants very expensive here. Might not be practical though to bring as they add so much weight to your lugguge.
I would also pack lots of cash as the cost of living very expensive here compared to the Uk.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by shocked kiwi; May 29th 2013 at 1:57 am.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed dramatically since we've been here and there's little I could put on a list beside shoes and underwear that require me to be at the shop to look, feel and try on.

Certainly lately since M&S went international and we've had the groovy exchange rate; it has helped no end in alleviating my previous shopping woes and almost everything I buy now is online from overseas. I have stocked up on heaps of stuff that we were previously lacking and I actually do feel human again.

M&S have been a total godsend having had free shipping for weeks on end; consequently I keep a regular check on the sales and offers and have bought all kinds, from skincare, muffin cases to towels and bedding. There are multitudes of beauty and skincare sites that will deliver stuff for free and at a fraction of the cost of things here. Next are now online locally at Ezibuy. Books are sorted with the Book Depository and Mighty Ape. We now have Specsavers and the likes. I buy pet stuff reasonably cheaply online and sometimes from Aussie e-bay. We now have a Nosh Foodmarket within striking distance which even caters to little Waitrose fixes.

We are still sadly lacking in decent shoes and clothes shopping; prices of electrical appliances and household goods are still in the stupid range.

I think my rosy view could easily change though and it will really hurt me in the wallet if the currency exchange suddenly returned to where it was a couple of years back or M&S stop doing free deliveries!
Old May 29th 2013, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
the kiwis don't wear nice hats such as those you buy in Monsoon in winter - they put up with the cold and have bare heads or wear beanies that are not very attractive.

Hope this helps!
I bought my beanies with me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.