Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you do at night Welly?

What would you do at night Welly?

Old May 28th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do at night Welly?

IS there anything I can do/things to do for fun _outside_ at night? (when you are distressed?)

Because, it rains outside and cold & very dark! I feel like to go out, (don't want to sitting at desk doing work any more) however. What's the purpose of going out? If you have no idea what to do?

a) If not boozing (I am not allowed to drink )

b) If not watching movie (I am not a big fan of movie anyway)

c) If not walking along the beach (It could be dangerous to walk at night)

d) If not eating fancy meal (there's nothing much I can eat at the mo - can't even drink coffee)

e) If not playing Poker (I don't play games/poker stuff I regard as one of the incredibly dumb things)

f) If not grocery shopping at NW

g) If not going to swimming (I am not a water person)

h) Obviously there's no concert is going on in Town Hall

Borders still open?

ok..... I am alone......... no pet no hubby no close friends here...... or family............. What would you do ................

now.........actually....I'd like to watch a live Football match

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2008 at 9:06 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What would you do at night Welly?

Hhmm.

You are in Welly. Surely SOMEONE must have met the real you by now.

What about the people you live with ? What are their interests?

If you have no TV , where are you watching the match then?
Old May 28th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hhmm.

You are in Welly. Surely SOMEONE must have met the real you by now.

What about the people you live with ? What are their interests?

If you have no TV , where are you watching the match then?

No. I've never met any expats on this forum yet unfortunately.

I no more/longer living with flatmates! means.... no friends?

well........only know loads of expats at work - that's it. but they are work mate, aren't they?

I occasionally go to a pub and watch the match - at the crack of dawn or whenever - especially in 2006 worldcup. While Mr Davies was here we used to do...a lot....at the Occidental (cos work closer) no sleeping much though.. He is football crazy.... but now, I am here on my own I no longer bother going out and watching footy without him ... - rugby most of the time at kiwi pubs anyhow.......:curse: am not interested...

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2008 at 10:40 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:26 am
`

Really. Are you sure?

I have got my own place. no more flatmates!
That is good news for you. When did that happen ?
Old May 28th 2008, 10:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

If you were up on the HBC you could come and watch us play footie on the local reserve at night under the lights (or turn around to watch the ladies on the netball courts) - we played tonight and I got a nasty knock on my calf - I was too quick for one young lad and sneaked the ball from in front of him as he met a pass (using my long legs - no I am not LARDY, not at all!! - used to be called LANKY when I was a kid!!) and he kicked out at the ball, too late, and there was a sickening crunch as he followed through on me - tried to run it off but it hurts along with the rest of the leg.

Using RICE now - rest, ice, compression, elevation (until I started with the PC that is!!).

Anyway, sounds like you need to get to Dairy Flat for the nightlife!! Check out some of the local footie clubs and they will ahve weekday night sessions - watching amateurs on the park is often better than watching pros on the TV or paying $$$ to see them live.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:45 am
`

Originally Posted by crap coffee
No. I've never met any expats on this forum yet unfortunately.
Really. Are you sure?

Originally Posted by crp coffee
I have got my own place. no more flatmates!
That is good news for you. When did that happen ? What about your brother. Or your parents or not being allowed out.

This is sounding all good. Please let us know more.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Really. Are you sure?

That is good news for you. When did that happen ? What about your brother. Or your parents or not being allowed out.

This is sounding all good. Please let us know more

yes............pretty sure.............

never even had the chance to meet beautiful lardyl not mention to other expats.....

hmmmm....

We lived in an apartment in Welly. had only _a_ flatmate (a Yankee boy from Chicago). however Mr Davies left for London in 2007 (unexpected :curse and then, I moved out of the old flat. to somewhere - somewhere smaller place - I do not want anymore annoying flatmates! Back in Edinburgh, we never had any flatmates. It was a tiny one bedroom cute apartment in Midlothian We were pretty happy there. ^*^ because we owned the property.

Now. ok................BEvs....... it's a boring story... my parents and younger bro (my only sibling) live in Auckland......... I sometimes go there to help them or whatever - usually lots of cooking. what's happenning there now is......... my bro is getting married in July ..... and they will move to the US in a couple of years time (He will be admitted to practice law in the U.S by the end of this year) or/either - unless his job's lined up down in Welly somewhere in central government departments - ministry of Foreign Affair or Immigration department ().

And.........my parents..... they are actually considering leaving NZ permanently ......... (fact I got shocked by .....Dad said it to me on the phone two weeks ago! ) BUt. not moving back to the U.K or OZ but somewhere else.....(??) they are visiting the U.S next month also to have look investment properties in New York............................. cheaper than ever there, right?

It seems that I am the only person who is remaining in NZ............

I don't know what to do here by myself.......

NZ, Is this the in place to be?

NZ, What am I doing here?

WHY on earth is everybody leaving (me) NZ?

Frankly.........I wish my bro come down to Welly .......(so that he can fix up my computer )

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

yes............pretty sure.............

never even had the chance to meet beautiful lardyl not mention to other expats.....

hmmmm....

We lived in an apartment in Welly. had only _a_ flatmate (a Yankee boy from Chicago). however Mr Davies left for London in 2007 (unexpected :curse and then, I moved out of the old flat. to somewhere - somewhere smaller place - I do not want anymore annoying flatmates! Back in Edinburgh, we never had any flatmates. It was a tiny one bedroom cute apartment in Midlothian We were pretty happy there. ^*^ because we owned the propety.

Now. ok................BEvs....... it's a boring story... my parents and younger bro (my only sibling) live in Auckland......... I sometimes go there to help them or whatever - usually lots of cooking. what's happenning there now is......... my bro is getting married in July ..... and they will move to the US in a couple of years time (He will be admitted to practice law in the U.S by the end of this year) or/either - unless his job's lined up down in Welly somewhere in central government departments - possibly M of Foreign Affair or Immigration department ().

And.........my parents..... they are actually considering leaving NZ permanently at the moment......... (fact I got shocked by .....Dad said it to me on the phone two weeks ago! ) BUt. not moving back to the U.K or OZ but somewhere else.....(??) they are visiting the U.S next month also to have look investment properties in New York............................. cheaper than ever there, right?

It seems that I am the only person who is remaining in NZ............

I don't know what to do here by myself.......

NZ, Is this the in place to be?

NZ, What am I doing here?

WHY on earth is everybody leaving NZ?

Frankly.........I wish my bro come down to Welly .......(so that he can fix up my computer )
Libby, you could have come pub quizzing tonight down the Cambridge, no need to drink, even though we won a $100 bar tab, was a fun night and taxing on the old brain

You could have gone to see Cats maybe? Still plenty of positive things happenign in this very cool city...

Last edited by irnbru14; May 28th 2008 at 12:59 pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Libby, you could have come pub quizzing tonight down the Cambridge, no need to drink, even though we won a $100 bar tab, was a fun night and taxing on the old brain

You could have gone to see Cats maybe? Still plenty of positive things happenign in this very cool city...
You had fun there?

Which pub are you talking about? Walsh's? or what?

surely no Monteith's brewery yay?

No Tuesday night Quiz? ? ?

are you good at QuiZzzzz? (they usually ask about NZ stuff, don't they?) mind you I am not good at it (Kiwi things) - shame on me. Last year, I participated with 6 more guys at the Occidental. at the end a Kiwi lad (my team) told me - you don't even know this (easy) answer!!!!!!!! You are helpless! GEt out of here!

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2008 at 1:30 pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

You had fun there?

Which pub are you talking about? Walsh's? or what?

surely no Monteith's brewery yay?

No Tuesday night Quiz? ? ?

are you good at QuiZzzzz? (they usually ask about NZ stuff, don't they?) mind you I am not good at it (Kiwi things) - shame on me. Last year, I participated with 6 more guys at the Occidental. at the end a Kiwi lad (my team) told me - you don't even know this (easy) answer!!!!!!!! You are helpless! GEt out of here!
We were down the Cambridge last night, there is a free BBQ when you buy a drink at the bar on a Wednesday followed by a very busy pub quiz, yeah, too many kiwi questions as always!

There is plenty of stuff happening around town still for you to do, look at what is on at the theatre, go see a movie, find some live music on somewhere, go for a walk (wrap up warm!), go have a coffee in Borders Books and read some magazines/books in there, go to Te Papa (is it open late at night???)...
Old May 28th 2008, 11:16 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Attend guest lectures at Victoria University. You could pick up the paper at the railway station or the Rutherford building and see what is on.

Attend a yoga class and get in touch with your ‘spiritual’ side. Hehe. Actually I say that only because a friend of mine wants me to attend one and I am not sure if I am allowed to bring my mp3 player….i suspect not.

Sign up for Samaritans - they need volunteers. I have a feeling I wouldn’t be patient enough for that though so good for anyone who can tolerate that as it surely must make you feel good about yourself.

Go to Indigo/San Francisco Bathhouse. They have acoustic nights which should be called “music to kill yourself by”. After that, anything seems better.

The library is open until later I think?

Go to Bats or Gryphon theatre. They often have something on. Costs $$ though.

Train refugees through a resettlement organisation? They want people who can speak other languages to help at the moment

Sign up at Wellington High School and learn to do something completely random like how to rebuild a motor or how to knit (no, none of those appeal to me but just as an example) or how to cook Cajun food or something

Ok a lot of the above sounds very ‘wholesome’. What I would do is “go to the pub” but since you cant drink that could just result in drunk people annoying you!
Old May 29th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Do some evening courses through Weltec or one of the Universities, learn a new language or something!!