Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you could do it all again?

What would you do if you could do it all again?

Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of
Default What would you do if you could do it all again?

This is my first none work/immigration related thread! So I thought it would be quite interesting to know for those of you that have already made the move what you would do on your first day/few days (allowing for jet lag) in NZ if you did it all over again?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

jeffrey.dalton will become famous soon enoughjeffrey.dalton will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would you do if you could do it all again?

Two things come to mind when I think of "do it all again".

First: We sold everything and brought 8 suitcases with us to immigrate to New Zealand. Looking back now I think we would have gone on a clothes shopping spree and bought all the nicest clothes we could get and some decent shoes and filled those same 8 suitcases. Clothes are expensive here and generally pretty crappy as far as quality. That said, selling everything was definitely a good idea and the immigrants we have met since have all said they wish they brought less stuff.

Second: We hit the ground running and learned how to drive on the opposite side of the road from our home country in Auckland during rush hour. We proceeded to travel all over the north island to check out areas to live. In a do over I would take a week in a decent hotel and allow more time to adjust to the new place before hammering away on the road to get to as many places as possible. We found an amazing place to live but were worn thin by the time we finally landed a month after arriving.

Cheers,
Jeffrey
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, I arived, stayed with friends for a while then moved into a rental before buying.
Theres not a lot to be done in the 1st few days apart from getting your bearings around the local area.
You've got a lifetime to sort shit out, just kick back and work off the jet lag, everything thats out there
will still be there next week
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

jeffrey.dalton will become famous soon enoughjeffrey.dalton will become famous soon enough

I would second the idea of renting for a while before trying to buy. Take some time and get to know the area....
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

Thanks, yes I am a great believer in less is more and will definitely try to get some r&r when I land for a few days!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

looked at the rental property before the day to move in so it wasn't so awful and could of got the cleaners in a few days earlier.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Virtually everything ready now... 2 weeks from now I will be just about to wake up from my first jet lag recovery kip! I'm sure I will make plenty of mistakes in my first few days and will have plenty of advice for others... hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nice hat ! Is that you or some random bloke.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! That's me in ChCh last January!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived on my birthday & stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Auckland for the first 3 days . Spent the time sleeping, eating out & being tourists.
So I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Jul 5th 2012 at 12:28 am. Reason: To add a wee bit.