Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you do with half a million $?

What would you do with half a million $?

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do with half a million $?

Some one asked me last night what I would do (had I not lost my life savings and they'd managed to triple them rather than decimate them!!) with half a million NZ?

I am bored with cars, I don't do boats...I've never really wanted a second property..(don't have the correct mind set), I am a scruffy bastard and as such not a fashion victim, I like watches but mine's just fine, I don't want to move...so I guess its a holiday. Yes, had I access to half a million NZ I would go on a really good vacation..what would you do??
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What would you do with half a million $?

Phone Wespac and tell them that they missed a couple of zeros, prior to the decimal point at the end .

I'd be edumucated to a high level maybe, like sixth form...
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do with half a million $?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Phone Wespac and tell them that they missed a couple of zeros, prior to the decimal point at the end .

I'd be edumucated to a high level maybe, like sixth form...
I am doing the home learning Maori Ora course (just started), Malaysian cookery for idiots (night class) and reupholtsery for five saturdays...that's my education for now. Fortunately I will not need that elusive half mill. due to one being free and the other 2 highly subsidised..for now.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What would you do with half a million $?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Fortunately I will not need that elusive half mill. due to one being free and the other 2 highly subsidised..for now.
Yes, it currently looks like I did rather vote for the wrong party last time on second thought . Still live and learn.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as learning something new is there? Maybe later in my life I'll study physics...I know little about physics but it does look interesting. When are we going to be invited round to your house to sample some of this cooking then?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Yes, it currently looks like I did rather vote for the wrong party last time on second thought . Still live and learn.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as learning something new is there? Maybe later in my life I'll study physics...I know little about physics but it does look interesting. When are we going to be invited round to your house to sample some of this cooking then?
When I have learned all the mystical secrets my great professor will impart to me.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Some one asked me last night what I would do (had I not lost my life savings and they'd managed to triple them rather than decimate them!!) with half a million NZ?

I am bored with cars, I don't do boats...I've never really wanted a second property..(don't have the correct mind set), I am a scruffy bastard and as such not a fashion victim, I like watches but mine's just fine, I don't want to move...so I guess its a holiday. Yes, had I access to half a million NZ I would go on a really good vacation..what would you do??
1) Aston Martin DB9
2) Insurance for Aston Martin DB9
3) Move to a new (rented!) apartment in or around central Welly with a more secure garage!
4) Take a few months off unpaid and go travel...maybe to Canada or the States or to Asia.
5) Import a whole lot of Deuchars IPA
6) Put the rest(!) in the bank for a rainy day...oh wait, its raining now, ummm, blow the rest on Lion Bars/Bourbon Biscuits/Jaffa Cakes in Cool Britannia....
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:22 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd attempt to pay off my mortgage. It's not quite half a million but by the time the bank's added on the early repayment fee, I'd probably still be short
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irnbru14
1) Aston Martin DB9
2) Insurance for Aston Martin DB9
3) Move to a new (rented!) apartment in or around central Welly with a more secure garage!
4) Take a few months off unpaid and go travel...maybe to Canada or the States or to Asia.
5) Import a whole lot of Deuchars IPA
6) Put the rest(!) in the bank for a rainy day...oh wait, its raining now, ummm, blow the rest on Lion Bars/Bourbon Biscuits/Jaffa Cakes in Cool Britannia....
2007 DB9 is $230000. Blimey and I thought you'd have been skint at No 1 before I googled it!!! You will have loads left!!! I could not spend that much on a car..my limit is $50 ish K, even with the hypothetical half million NZ.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

2007 DB9 is $230000. Blimey and I thought you'd have been skint at No 1 before I googled it!!! You will have loads left!!! I could not spend that much on a car..my limit is $50 ish K, even with the hypothetical half million NZ.
I might be skint after I've paid the insurance on it!!

In that case, add in a Mazda MX5 for those top down trips over to the Wairarapa, some kinda 4x4 thing for days like today, and a new Mini Cooper S for round town
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:44 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Property in the south of France somewhere. Keep the rest for spending money (and to cover my lost salary) when I spend Jun-Aug in Europe each year. Sorted!

You couldn't make it $1.5m could you - I'd rather like to make that 6 months a year if I could.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:11 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Boring stuff really;

Mortgage,new cars, braces for kids, university for 3 kids (would there actually be any left after that alone!!!) keep a years worth of 'bills money' somewhere safe and a good old fashioned shopping spree
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:11 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Half a mil - pay off our house, add another bathroom, landscape the garden, buy the Mrs a car, spend some money on my car, big new TV, and a nice holiday. Spent.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

HOLIDAYS!

Buy a house too!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:23 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy a Hermes Birkin. I figure that's the only way I could justify 10k+ on a handbag.

I would invest the rest. And use the income to maintain the bag. Like when I have to send it for spa treatments in paris.

I would then go on a 'trashy tour of the world'. See everything trashy from the Worlds Largest Ball of Twine to the Elvis Museum to Dollywood (which actually, probably isn't too tacky).

I am sure I can do other frivalous stuff. Maybe buy something with cash. Like a hot pink DB9. Used is fine - I'm not greedy.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Southerner on this one. Sept to May in NZ, then escape back to UK June- August for the summer and to catch up with friends & family. In fact daughter's birthday is mid June...I'll even stay in NZ to celebrate that with her...I suppose I can cope with a few weeks of winter each year, and head off the the UK straight after
Might part with a few $$$ on wine, ooops no, that probably doesn't count 'cos I do it anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.