Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would you do...

What would you do...

Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:43 am
Just Joined

wildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant future
Default What would you do...

I was sitting at home this morning when my phone rang. It was my doctors surgery asking me to come in for a free flu jab. I have only had flu once in my life and never had a jab before. I thought oh well as its free I will go in and get it done. Off I went and had the jab done, when sitting for the 20 mins in the waiting room whilst they make sure you have no reaction to it, the receptionist calls me over to her, the nurse is sitting next to her very nervous. 'Im sorry Mrs.... but Lynne made a mistake and you are not actually entitled to the free jab, we are going to have to charge you...its $25'. I stood there very embarrassed and very annoyed but said nothing. I paid the money and left without saying anything. When I got in the car I was fuming. My husband and I both work hard and money is tight. We have kids and work to a budget. $25 to throw away on something you neither want nor need really bugged me. I could have put it to much better use, either food or petrol. So...do I just grin and bare it and be thankful I wont get flu, or send the doctor a letter and say how angry I am that I have been conned out of $25 that I would never have spent on a flu jab.....
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:52 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do...

Originally Posted by wildbean
I was sitting at home this morning when my phone rang. It was my doctors surgery asking me to come in for a free flu jab. I have only had flu once in my life and never had a jab before. I thought oh well as its free I will go in and get it done. Off I went and had the jab done, when sitting for the 20 mins in the waiting room whilst they make sure you have no reaction to it, the receptionist calls me over to her, the nurse is sitting next to her very nervous. 'Im sorry Mrs.... but Lynne made a mistake and you are not actually entitled to the free jab, we are going to have to charge you...its $25'. I stood there very embarrassed and very annoyed but said nothing. I paid the money and left without saying anything. When I got in the car I was fuming. My husband and I both work hard and money is tight. We have kids and work to a budget. $25 to throw away on something you neither want nor need really bugged me. I could have put it to much better use, either food or petrol. So...do I just grin and bare it and be thankful I wont get flu, or send the doctor a letter and say how angry I am that I have been conned out of $25 that I would never have spent on a flu jab.....
Definitely definitely write back to them! I would have said ask for them to send you the bill but as you have already paid I think you need to ask for a refund. Honestly, that is appalling. They had told you it was a free jab, they gave you a free jab then told you you have to pay for it. What were you supposed to do at that point? Ask them to take it out. Stupid. I am not surprised you are mad.

And on that note, i am going to ring my doctor and arrange a flu shot.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:02 am
Just Joined

wildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant futurewildbean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Definitely definitely write back to them! I would have said ask for them to send you the bill but as you have already paid I think you need to ask for a refund. Honestly, that is appalling. They had told you it was a free jab, they gave you a free jab then told you you have to pay for it. What were you supposed to do at that point? Ask them to take it out. Stupid. I am not surprised you are mad.

And on that note, i am going to ring my doctor and arrange a flu shot.
Im so pleased you said that, I know its only $25 but i wouldn't have had it done had they not called and said it was free!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely ask for a refund from the centre's manager. That's disgusting!

Imagine if you'd been invited to a meal at a local restaurant, told it was free and then given the bill at the end - "oh sorry, we made a mistake".

One way to drum up business I suppose
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildbean
Im so pleased you said that, I know its only $25 but i wouldn't have had it done had they not called and said it was free!!!!
I too would complain..bloody cheek, they should stand by THEIR mistake..you go for it mate!!! Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:57 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Ring Citizens advice (or do as I always do and claim you have). Then can say something along the lines of:-

I was invited in for a free Flu injection, following my free Flu injection I was then asked for $25 as the surgery had made a mistake, unsure of my rights I felt the need to seek advice, you do have a citizens advice bureau. As I was invited for a free Flu injection then given a Flu injection I should not have then been charged for the Flu injection.

I have rarely rang Citizens Advice (once actually), but mentioning the name usually gets positive results - actually it's worked every time.

You may class it as 'splitting hairs', but no lie would have been told, you did feel the need to seek advice, and their is a Citizens Advice Centre, you are just omitting to say that it was not the CAB you asked for advice, a lie by omission perhaps.

Free is free, you should not have paid, but if were honest many others would have too. Depending on how I was feeling, possibly myself.

Best of Luck
Pauline
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:59 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by howden40
Ring Citizens advice (or do as I always do and claim you have). Then can say something along the lines of:-

I was invited in for a free Flu injection, following my free Flu injection I was then asked for $25 as the surgery had made a mistake, unsure of my rights I felt the need to seek advice, you do have a citizens advice bureau. As I was invited for a free Flu injection then given a Flu injection I should not have then been charged for the Flu injection.

I have rarely rang Citizens Advice (once actually), but mentioning the name usually gets positive results - actually it's worked every time.

You may class it as 'splitting hairs', but no lie would have been told, you did feel the need to seek advice, and their is a Citizens Advice Centre, you are just omitting to say that it was not the CAB you asked for advice, a lie by omission perhaps.

Free is free, you should not have paid, but if were honest many others would have too. Depending on how I was feeling, possibly myself.

Best of Luck
Pauline
Sorry also point out that the surgery rang you to come in for the injection and that you had not contacted the surgery - go for it $25 can make a big difference.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:15 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have paid. Once you have, it's going to be very difficult to get it back. Actually, I'd just go in tomorrow and ask for it back and tell them the Citizens Advice said you could do that How're they to know?