Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What would it be like?

What would it be like?

Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:58 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would it be like?

President-elect Obama does the school run.

I wonder what it would be like to be the President?
How would you cope with having the Secret Service everywhere? Accompanying you even to the bathroom (allegedly).

For the next four (or eight) years, you'd never really be alone. You'd always be "on-call". Could you stand the pressure?

If you've ever been on-call, it can really suck. I remember carrying a pager and being paged from a pub at midnight on a Friday by some folks in Hong Kong.
Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing to be the President. As a rabid information consumer, I'd be in hog's heaven. Imagine the secrets you'd be privy to.

But then in times of crisis, you'd be alone. It would be you, and ultimately your conscience, that had to deal with sending people into harm's way.
How would you have dealt with the Cuban missile crisis? Or how would you deal with Putin, Medve-whatever, and a resurgent Russia? No wonder you go grey pretty quickly.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:03 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would it be like?

Also, how would you deal with criticism from the press? Would you ignore it?
Could you ignore it? It takes a mature person, a well-seasoned person, a confident person, a thick-skinned person to have deal with this.

Perhaps the two years of campaigning indirectly serves the President-elect well. You do get exposed to powerful and near constant scrutiny, attacks, criticism, what have you. Your mettle is definitely tested.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be really creeped out to see my Secret Service guards wearing Ronald Reagan masks.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:18 am
Peace onion

He looks like my Uncle Ray. I don't think he's SS. No earpiece in left ear. Could be wrong. Doesn't look the type. Looks like he's almost cracking a smile.
Secret Service bods have their smiles and sense of humor surgically removed.

I think he's just an aide.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:05 am
Peace onion

Apparently the Secret Service gather and dispose of any receptacle the President drinks from, lest anyone gather his DNA. I'm not sure what you could do with his DNA but who knows?

Which led me to another thought. Wherever the P goes, I bet they take their own towels and toilet paper. Anything that might come in contact with the P.
Probably silverware too.

Which then let me to thinking about food. It wouldn't be a problem in the White House, which is a controlled environment. But what happens when he goes overseas? Let's say they're in France. I bet the Secret Service have specially trained people who oversee the production of food which will be served to the P. They probably have a taster too. Man, you could go nuts thinking about this stuff.

Especially if you're a top chef and have to work under close scrutiny. I've always been fascinated with FedEx, and I marvel at their operation. I kind of hold the Secret Service in the same esteem. Organization, logistics. Brilliant.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Nov 12th 2008 at 2:10 am.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:07 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Apparently the Secret Service gather and dispose of any receptacle the President drinks from, lest anyone gather his DNA. I'm not sure what you could do with his DNA but who knows.
so you've never seen The Boys from Brazil?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:09 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by elfman
so you've never seen The Boys from Brazil?
Yeah. Good movie. But if you intended to do harm to the President, you wouldn't clone him.

\ I mainly remember the dogs from that movie, and the kid's piercing blue eyes. Creepy. Reminds me of the kid from the Omen.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:12 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Good movie. But if you intended to do harm to the President, you wouldn't clone him.
but what if you wanted to create a bad Obama who went round the world undoing all the beneficial works of the good one? People would get so confused.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:17 am
Peace onion

Well, you'd have to rapidly age the clone. There would no doubt be easily spotted flaws like bleeding from the eye, a third nipple, or a penchant for melodrama. I think we'd be able to spot the bad clone. Or would we?

Sorry. Sorry. No politics from me in this thread. This is just a straight out pondering about the workings of the White House and being POTUS.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You're Never Alone with a Strand
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd like to try never being alone 24/7 (including going to the bathroom) have kids. Mine followed me everywhere once they could crawl/walk and before that seemed attached either at the hip or boob all day.
You get used to it. and one day they go to school and the quiet is very creepy, so you have more kids
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Sorry. No politics from me in this thread. This is just a straight out pondering about the workings of the White House and being POTUS.
I'd keep asking to see the Big Board. I'd want lots of practice with the nuclear football. I'd want to carry my own MP5K-PDW. I'd get the finest minds at the NSA to come up with an airtight anonymizer so I could post rubbish to web forums all night.

I don't think I'd be a very good POTUS.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Which then let me to thinking about food. It wouldn't be a problem in the White House, which is a controlled environment. But what happens when he goes overseas? Let's say they're in France. .
He takes his own chefs
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:47 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'd keep asking to see the Big Board. I'd want lots of practice with the nuclear football. I'd want to carry my own MP5K-PDW. I'd get the finest minds at the NSA to come up with an airtight anonymizer so I could post rubbish to web forums all night.

I don't think I'd be a very good POTUS.
Regan reportedly phoned people who wrote to him ...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You're Never Alone with a Strand

Sad lonely guy in rain coat, standing under a lamppost smoking a Strand Ciggy, in the rain. No one wanted to buy them. They changed the name to Embassy, became the best selling cigarette in Europe.

Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Think he was also wearing a trilby & had just left a party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.