Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What worries you most?

What worries you most?

Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What worries you most?

This is one for those who are yet to arrive. Emigration is a trying time and I thought this thread could be a help for anyone with something they have a concern about. So fire away if you want to lighten the load.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:55 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What worries you most?

Earthquakes and income
Old Jun 24th 2011, 8:03 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
Earthquakes and income
Earthquakes.....don't move to earthquake areas...Christchurch for one..research will help. Auckland is safe

Income......Auckland or Wellington are the bigger earning areas but are slightly more expensive to live in

What job do you do??
Old Jun 24th 2011, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug
Earthquakes.....don't move to earthquake areas...Christchurch for one..research will help. Auckland is safe

Income......Auckland or Wellington are the bigger earning areas but are slightly more expensive to live in

What job do you do??
Talk to anyone from Christchurch 12 months ago and they would have said it's not a earthquake area. I think it could happen anywhere in the country, its not the shaky isles for nothing!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Me and my other half have the same/bigger salaries than in the UK. We're both a management level and live near Wellington.

I worry about earthquakes, but Wellington council rates areas for risk of landslides, tsunamis, liquifaction, earthquake - I wouldn't buy a house beside the sea. I diced with death on the M8 everyday...when you time's up, your time's up.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Getting jobs in the area we want to live in and being isolated with no social networks.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice

The Culture shock
i think we will be ok just have to adjust accordingly, still abit worrying.

Leaving my friends and family and my babies (4 cats) they are to old to bring such a long way.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
This is one for those who are yet to arrive. Emigration is a trying time and I thought this thread could be a help for anyone with something they have a concern about. So fire away if you want to lighten the load.
Awwh ..... u worry me the most Genesis!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:42 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug

What job do you do??
OH is in ICT. As dave77 said. I feel anywhere in New Zealand is earthquake prone but it still beats living here! We're probably going to live in Wellington, it all depends on OH's job.

Last edited by Kija; Jun 24th 2011 at 9:44 am.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:44 am
We're HERE!!!

Originally Posted by Rachelb82

Leaving my friends and family and my babies (4 cats) they are to old to bring such a long way.
That's really difficult
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kija
That's really difficult
I get upset now thinking about leaving my Cats and don't leave till Oct. My mum will look after them but they are my babies. they are all 14, don't want to put them through the stress, plus the cost to move them isn't practical.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point

social networks.... I am an English nurse from Liverpool, wages are similar and the work is similar but will miss my friends and family, however the need for adventure and exploring somewhere new evaporates the worries
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:35 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Not being taken to the cleaners when buying with a non Kiwi accent and also buying a property made with unfamiliar materials and techniques.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by melanieanne63
social networks.... I am an English nurse from Liverpool, wages are similar and the work is similar but will miss my friends and family, however the need for adventure and exploring somewhere new evaporates the worries
If your in the north island next year you will have another scouser there!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point

still in uk at the minute.... just sorting everything out, hoping to go out spring next year, as everybody says, you cantvgo anywhere without meeting a scouser haha, we are lucky charms lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.