Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What works and what won't??

What works and what won't??

Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:18 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future
Default What works and what won't??

Hi.

We are probably making the move out to Auckland in about three months.

Below is a list of electrical / audio stuff we currently have. Could any one advise us on what will work there and so should be kept and shipped and what to sell now.

Thanks in advance

Matt and Andrea

Uk Sky Plus DSB satellite decoder with 20GB harddrive recorder and 1.5m dish / quad LNB

Uk Sky DSB decoder

32inch Phillips wide screen TV - This was bought here in Spain as our UK tv didn't play any sound on the terrestrial channels.

Samsung DVD player. Region 2 only

Mitsubushi DVD player. Plays regions 1 and 2

PC with Hyundai 17inch monitor - not flat or LCD.

Mobile phones on the Spanish vodaphone network - 1 is unlocked.

Also not electrical but I have a 1998 Honda CB600 Hornet motorbike. It is still English registered does anyone know the taxes payable if I shipped it in the container with the rest of our stuff?

As we currently live near Gibraltar I have access to cheap electronics (Tax free) Is it worth buying a big plasma screen or similar and shipping it out as I have heard they are really expenisve in NZ and we were thinking or getting one in the next year or so.

Thanks again we have found this site to be excellent and really helpful.

Matt and Andrea
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What works and what won't??

Originally Posted by the turner family
Hi.

We are probably making the move out to Auckland in about three months.

Below is a list of electrical / audio stuff we currently have. Could any one advise us on what will work there and so should be kept and shipped and what to sell now.

Thanks in advance

Matt and Andrea

Uk Sky Plus DSB satellite decoder with 20GB harddrive recorder and 1.5m dish / quad LNB

Uk Sky DSB decoder

32inch Phillips wide screen TV - This was bought here in Spain as our UK tv didn't play any sound on the terrestrial channels.

Samsung DVD player. Region 2 only

Mitsubushi DVD player. Plays regions 1 and 2

PC with Hyundai 17inch monitor - not flat or LCD.

Mobile phones on the Spanish vodaphone network - 1 is unlocked.

Also not electrical but I have a 1998 Honda CB600 Hornet motorbike. It is still English registered does anyone know the taxes payable if I shipped it in the container with the rest of our stuff?

As we currently live near Gibraltar I have access to cheap electronics (Tax free) Is it worth buying a big plasma screen or similar and shipping it out as I have heard they are really expenisve in NZ and we were thinking or getting one in the next year or so.

Thanks again we have found this site to be excellent and really helpful.

Matt and Andrea
THere have been many threads in here (aus+nz) on compatibility of TVs. Basically the sound doesnt play on uk tvs (not sure about spanish tvs). The way round that is to hook up the tv to a vcr or a NZ SKY decoder, which "decodes" the sound, in a manner of speaking. This works.

I doubt if the sky plus box will work, the sky decoder will not. NZ doesnt have the sky plus type service, its only now starting to introduce recordable DVD players.

Im not sure what region NZ is for DVD players, sorry.

PC is fine.

Mobile phone should be fine (not the locked one). Vodafone in NZ is the largest of the two mobile phone networks. U can get teh other one unlocked or just buy a new one here.

Dont know about the taxes for importing cars etc.

Plasma screens vary, id say theyre about $10k here, not sure though.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:24 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Well, not quite right on some of that.

A 42" Sony plasma TV can be had for NZD4995, which isn't too bad at all. A 32" Philips widescreen TV can be had for NZD999. See www.lvmartin.co.nz . Recordable DVD players have been available for at least a year in NZ (they were on sale when I got back last year). Regarding your Spanish TV, Spain is PAL as is NZ, so it comes down to whether or not your Spanish TV covers the frequencies in use in NZ. Some (actually most) TV's can converted by changing the tuning crystal. However, the cost can be more than the TV is worth. You can use a NZ VCR to feed your TV of course, and VCR's are very cheap now.

Regarding DVD, NZ is Region 4. However, you may find this quote interesting:

Law Breaking
According to OpenDVD.org, DVD players with region codes are illegal in New Zealand. Additionally, DVD regions are rumored to violate certain World Trade Organization laws. I do not have access to the WTO laws, and I have not seen the actual passage which states the law, so I cannot verify this rumor.
As far as I know, you might as well ditch your Sky gear.

Most cellphones can be unlocked. In NZ, it is not easy to get done, so you will have to do it either over there via an unlocking service (quite a few in the UK), or via the internet. I did that with both my UK phones. Unlike the UK, it is not normal to get a free phone with a contract here. Check out www.vodaphone.co.nz for more info.

For information on your bike, check out http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...re+Payable.htm

Basically there is no duty on motorcycles, but you will have to pay GST. This is calculated on the Customs Value of the motorcycle, which can be computed from the info on the site noted above. Here's a quick quote from that site:

Goods and Services Tax (GST)
GST is chargeable on all goods (including motor vehicles) imported into New Zealand, even though the transaction has been conducted offshore and the purchase price may already incorporate a local value-added or sales tax component. The current rate of GST is 12.5 percent. GST is calculated on the Customs value of the vehicle , plus duty (if any), plus international freight and insurance.

Import Transaction Fee
In addition to the payment of duty and GST, an import entry transaction fee of $22 (GST inclusive) may apply. The fee is payable at the same time that duty and GST is collected.
I brought my bike over in bits, which seemed to avoid all the hassle quite nicely...

Hope that helps...

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; Feb 17th 2005 at 2:27 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably find the TV is OK. Philips is quite good for multi-standard stuff, and if you can set it up for Germany (PAL-G I think), then it'll work in NZ. I have a 28" philips and it has all the required settings.