Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What will you do??????

What will you do??????

Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:21 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default What will you do??????

On your last day in the UK??

Or maybe you've already left?? What did you do?? Who did you spend it with?? Do you have any regrets that you didn't do something???
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:29 pm
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What will you do??????

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Do you have any regrets that you didn't do something???
Very nearly.....I bought my OH a proper wedding ring a couple of weeks before we left, which had to be made and cost an arm and a leg, and remembered that I had forgotten to go and get it just as we were leaving for the airport (with a big hangover). Had a mad last minute rush to sort that out, especially having got rid of the car the day before, so it was a bus and train journey to get there

Other than that, we spent the last week or so running around getting everything sorted out that needed to be, and didn't have any time really to spend with anybody else, or do anything significant to say goodbye.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:30 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Or maybe you've already left?? What did you do?? Who did you spend it with?? Do you have any regrets that you didn't do something???
I think the reality is we are dictated to by where we live and things that need to be done and people that need to be seen!!! So we will be at my Dad and Stepmums as it is much closer to Heathrow than we are and it'll be the last time we see them for God knows how long. My youngest is 4 and my Father has seen her twice since she was born! And yes, he does live in the UK!! But we have stuck to our guns and refuswed anyone coming to the airport with us as we want the real happy adventure to start then, not have sobbing Grandma's clinging on to embarrassed kids!!!

Given the choice, my last day in the UK would be spent in Harrods checking they have my Stepmum's Gold Card details and that they deliver to NZ, whilst running amok, quaffing Bolly!!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:33 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hang11
Very nearly.....I bought my OH a proper wedding ring a couple of weeks before we left, which had to be made and cost an arm and a leg, and remembered that I had forgotten to go and get it just as we were leaving for the airport (with a big hangover). Had a mad last minute rush to sort that out, especially having got rid of the car the day before, so it was a bus and train journey to get there

Other than that, we spent the last week or so running around getting everything sorted out that needed to be, and didn't have any time really to spend with anybody else, or do anything significant to say goodbye.
Really??? I just did the same thing. Got my Hubby a wedding ring that he mentioned wanting about 10 years after the event!! Then the bloody jeweller (sp)rang on my mobile on Friday to confirm they'd received my money and he answered!! Fobbed him off with they have one in his size, but it's in their London store and I can't possibly get there to pick it up on top of everything else!!! Can't wait for it to arrive - but how to present him with it?? I DON'T do bended knee ...
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:47 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We've said nobody to the airport either & to be honest, they haven't taken any bl**dy notice at all I'd like to do all our goodbyes the night before & just get in the car & go.

Actually that's not true What I would really really like to do is go down to London for a couple of days before, just so the kids can have one last look and leave from there.

Just have to wait & see if we're going first though
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:53 pm
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Really??? I just did the same thing. Got my Hubby a wedding ring that he mentioned wanting about 10 years after the event!! Then the bloody jeweller (sp)rang on my mobile on Friday to confirm they'd received my money and he answered!! Fobbed him off with they have one in his size, but it's in their London store and I can't possibly get there to pick it up on top of everything else!!! Can't wait for it to arrive - but how to present him with it?? I DON'T do bended knee ...
hehehe

I got told to buy a decent one - the original was a 60 quid silver one with a little chip of diamond in it, and was commanded to get the same ring, in platinum, with a bigger rock. I went to the jewellers, asked him to make me one just like the cheap silver one, he asked me for 400 quid, which I handed over, and he gave me a receipt for it as "15% deposit"

So no bended knees for me either. I was feeling too sick to do that.....

It would have been a nightmare if I had forgotten to pick it up as well.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

We've said nobody to the airport either & to be honest, they haven't taken any bl**dy notice at all
To be honest, goodbyes at the airport are horrible, it turns an exciting/stressful moment into a depressing/really stressful moment.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

We spent the last day rushing about, farewell to OH parents who live 2 hours away from us, returning their car they lent us to use after ours had sold, getting rid of last bits of furniture, cleaning ready for the tenants to move in..farewell to all my family that came round in the evening to say goodbye...very sad, very tearful so so glad we convinced them not to come to the airport, that would of been too hard.
Debbie
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:15 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We drove to Liverpool to drop off my car with the shippers, then went for a meal in Liverpool city centre, followed by a drive to our overnight hotel at Manchester Airport, all with my mum, dad and sister.

The following morning my mate, his girlfriend, Melanie's mum and her mum's partner turned up to see us off.

Nothing exciting!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I had bubbly and strawberries in Gun Wharf, Portsmouth, with my best friend.
Just the two of us for an hour or so, didn't make it soppy or emotional, just enjoyed having a bit of time together.
Then, as we were leaving Gun Wharf, we stopped to look at some art work and I saw one I really liked. I must of had my 'I'm thinking of buying it' face on, cos my friend asked if it would fit on my lap on the plane. In those couple of hours I had completely forgotten that we were leaving that night!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:09 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

We really enjoyed our last weekend. Had a surprise party for us which was lovely. I cried! which I never thought I would do! and then had a goodbye drink the day before we were leaving with friends as well. I had to make the most of the time with our friends as knew not many would make their way out this way. and unfortunately, this has proven to be the case!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:54 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really remember, it was a few years ago now.
My best friend came over to have a drink with us and some family came too.
The morning we left I stood outside mums house on my own just breathing in the cold morning air and gazing at the views for a little while in the hope I would remember those few minutes for ever.
Then we drove to the aiport with loads of friends and family and sat and laughed and drank coffee until it was time to leave.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't left yet - but plan to do something for the kids! No familt will come with us to th airport - we won't tell them the flight time just in case haha!

We have, though, over the past 9 months or so since deciding to migrate been and done lots of things we said we would do but never got round to it! We went to Knowsley Safari Park, Chester Zoo, Butlins - our list goes on! It's going to hit my eldest son hard when it actually comes to go as he is VERY close to his Nanna (my mum) - always has been !!! We're not having a leaving party - too final! Prob just go out with a few mates for a meal and drink then same with family, something informal but meaningful

God I've waffled - but it's brought it home the impact it's going to have - something I have kept repressed until now

Michelle xx
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

We went to see Coldplay at Manchester the night before we left with my bestest friend. I booked the flights around the gig as I knew it would probably be the last chance of seeing them. We were staying at my friends house that night before jetting off the next morning. When we arrived back at her house she ran to her bedroom, returned and flung a pressie at me, wept uncontollably while hugging me, then said she couldn't stay as it would be too painful to see us off. She then ran out of the house into another friends car. Very emotional and surreal. The gig was fantastic, but the end of the evening was heart renching.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I got my friend to book my ticket online on the morning I left!

Everyone was starting to think that i wasn't actually going to go but I saw my mum the day before and my friend booked it at 10am, picked me up at 2pm and my flight as something like 6:30pm!

He dropped me outside the airport as neither one of us wanted the tearful goodbye and I phoned my mum just after booking the ticket and promised to call from the airport, which I did.

I think it was a pretty good way to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.