British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What are/were your expectations of your new life in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-were-your-expectations-your-new-life-nz-726984/)

Genesis Aug 1st 2011 3:41 am

What are/were your expectations of your new life in NZ?

Mine were a better standard of living, a better life from a day to day basis, living in a better place than I did in the UK. Also to get away from the massive overcrowding of the UK. All expectations met and exceeded. Now I just have to stop getting annoyed by all the stuff that irks me about NZ in general. List is too huge to rant about!!! But being better off in a way less crowded country in a beautiful neighbourhood with a happy Mrs and happy kids make it all worth while! I think.:eek:

alanmacc Aug 1st 2011 4:18 am

Re: What are/were your expectations of your new life in NZ?

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9530118)
Mine were a better standard of living, a better life from a day to day basis, living in a better place than I did in the UK. Also to get away from the massive overcrowding of the UK. All expectations met and exceeded. Now I just have to stop getting annoyed by all the stuff that irks me about NZ in general. List is too huge to rant about!!! But being better off in a way less crowded country in a beautiful neighbourhood with a happy Mrs and happy kids make it all worth while! I think.:eek:

Ours were pretty simple

less people / crowds = sorted
less traffic = sorted
better lifestyle = sorted
less stress = sorted
nice house / area = sorted
good place to bring up our daughter = sorted

Yep think we have done pretty well out of it

billingham Aug 1st 2011 4:18 am

No real expectations - just something different. All boxes ticked!

RobDon Aug 1st 2011 4:26 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9530147)
Ours were pretty simple

less people / crowds = sorted
less traffic = sorted
better lifestyle = sorted
less stress = sorted
nice house / area = sorted
good place to bring up our daughter = sorted

Yep think we have done pretty well out of it

Would have to agree with all of the above plus amazing views whichever window
we look out of. :thumbsup:

florabundi Aug 1st 2011 8:16 am

We hope to be in NZ before the end of this year and we have the same expectations as alanmacc posted only with a little more sun than we see in Scotland. We have a lovely life here at the moment and I hope that is still achievable in NZ. Actually what I am most excited about is getting a another dog (our dogs passed away when they were v old) and walking along the beach with said doggy. I think these expectations are realistic. Hopefully the people will be friendly and relaxed and it will be relatively easy to make friends:D

Am Loolah Aug 1st 2011 9:05 am

Better weather
Better lifestyle
Better lifestyle for the kids - less pressure
More laid back and relaxed
Fresh start
Friendly people
New adventures
Less people

Got all of the above.

sirplug Aug 1st 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9530148)
No real expectations - just something different. All boxes ticked!

Ditto. Think we moved because we could. Wanted to give the kids a better, safer, start. Done that, the rest is a bonus.......

Tomsk Aug 1st 2011 7:47 pm

We were lucky enough to have the opportunity presented to us fairly unexpectedly (my husband had submitted a casual enquiry re job opportunities during a boring day at work & then promptly forgot about it! 18m later he got the "do you want to proceed with the application" email!)
We had very few expectations, life was comfortable & happy in the UK and we had both been working for the same employers for years, could pretty much do our jobs blindfold! So for me at least it was an adventure, the opportunity to escape a comfortable rut and do something different. I think I achieved that. Our expectations were low, and they have been easily surpassed. I'd be lying if I said that there was nothing that I missed about the UK, there's plenty I miss, but my life in NZ is different, some things better, some things worse for sure. And I'm aware that I've changed and adapted, can't spend my free time mooching around Bluewater shopping for things I don't really need any more, so I lead up the dogs and explore the forest and lakes instead! I think that's a fair trade off!
So, yes, NZ certainly has achieved my expectations and provided me with the lifestyle I hoped for. If only I could find a really good shoe shop!

Debbie2NZ Aug 2nd 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9530440)
We hope to be in NZ before the end of this year and we have the same expectations as alanmacc posted only with a little more sun than we see in Scotland. We have a lovely life here at the moment and I hope that is still achievable in NZ. Actually what I am most excited about is getting a another dog (our dogs passed away when they were v old) and walking along the beach with said doggy. I think these expectations are realistic. Hopefully the people will be friendly and relaxed and it will be relatively easy to make friends:D

Dogs are banned from some parks and/or beaches in NZ. I've never seen a no dogs sign before i.e. like a no smoking sign but with a dogs profile behind the prohibited sign. It's an enforceable law which is done with fines. They are much more strict about keeping dogs on leads and keeping dogs tied up at home if they are in the back yard dependant on where you live in NZ. I thought it unusual to see the sign in our local park: Dog excercise area. What does this really mean, warning dog poo ? There are dog shaped dog poo bins at the park. Better than dog owners tying their full dog poo bags in the branches of a tree in the car park of the local woods back where I lived in Britian !

northumberland Aug 2nd 2011 4:31 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9530440)

I think it is good to keep expectations simple - NZ has a lot to offer but culture and social net works very different to UK. Have been here 10 months and have met some very nice people but finding it difficult to meet people who have similar likes etc. It could be down to our location which is rural and focused upon cows, cows and cows! Just spent 5 years living in Stirling, Scotland so easy access to good city life as well as country life - at present looking at relocating north to feel more connected to 'life'. There is a good life to be lived here but it is NOT living the dream - be very realistic as it can take time to adjust. Good luck