Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What went in the container that shouldn't have?!

What went in the container that shouldn't have?!

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default What went in the container that shouldn't have?!

Fire away - what did you suddenly realize you should have taken in your case?!

Jo
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:49 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What went in the container that shouldn't have?!

Take everything, just make sure if it's garden gear or camping / walking that it's spotless and the smell of jayes fluid is very evident.

I took everything I could fit in the container, including all of the garden gear. The only thing I didn't bring was the main tent for camping. Only because we moved out during December and the weather wouldn't allow me to put it up in the garden for cleaning and it was bigger than the garage it was kept in, so that was out of the question. Beware that anything not properly clean, will need to be dealt with by MAF, for a fee!

If you think something isn't worth bringing because of age / condition, think again. You should check out the prices to renew in NZ against renewal in UK. NZ is very expensive for white goods and furniture (and the furniture is cr*p)

If you get several quotes for moving, many of the company's will give conflicting advice on what can and cannot go. Ignore this advice and contact MAF for guidance, or ask on here....

Good Luck........
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it all, u wouldn,t believe what they charge for old shite here

Neil
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Fire away - what did you suddenly realize you should have taken in your case?!

Jo
What did you pack in your container, but wished you had taken in your case, because you missed it for the first few weeks while waiting for the container to be delivered.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Ngaizone is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything you bring you will use. Or you can sell it on Trademe.

The one thing you must bring is a couple of extension leads with multi sockets on them. You willl need it for all your chargers etc in the garage and for all those things you need to use but can't plug in because you haven't changed the plug yet. Saved us a great deal of grief as all the black and decker etc tools were needed straight away and we just plugged them in and used them. Vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, kettle, etc etc

Bring everything with you and yes, clean clean your garden stuff and boots.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone but what I meant was - did you get on the plane and realize you'd shipped something out that you desperately needed to keep with you, paperwork etc. and then had to wait for weeks for it to arrive!?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:11 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

What did you pack in your container, but wished you had taken in your case, because you missed it for the first few weeks while waiting for the container to be delivered.
the handle for the grill pan on the cooker in the UK house we were renting out - then we could've posted it back so the Kiwis in our place could use the grill without burning their fingers.......

not much else......thniking abck.....

oh yeah the lanyard bit off my I-pod neck strap/phones - not a biggie as I logged onto 7dayshop and bought another, so the kids have one and so do I....
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone but what I meant was - did you get on the plane and realize you'd shipped something out that you desperately needed to keep with you, paperwork etc. and then had to wait for weeks for it to arrive!?
the wife's passport - no seriously..........mmm.........why do you ask BTW?

like to see other people suffer or desperate to get the move "just right"??
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
the wife's passport - no seriously..........mmm.........why do you ask BTW?

like to see other people suffer or desperate to get the move "just right"??
It's a very good question, we will be without our stuff for 8 weeks and only have limited space in our luggage so it's useful to hear from other peoples experiences.

Jo_Paul - not sure why you are getting such replies from a perfectly sensible question hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon!!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:20 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

a bank statement that my UK accountant now needs to do my final accounts in the UK

underwear! I only packed 5 pairs of pants for me to wear whilst waiting for our container - not enough! Don't know what I was thinking of there.

Not sure what else as we've only been here a week and haven't moved to our rental yet - once we have I'm sure there'll be more stuff I realise I should have brought.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Seriously though the packers are working hard and working fast and do tend to be rather entheusiastic - so make sure you nail down or move out what you don't want to be packed, a couple of things of ours disappeared from "no go" areas of the house (into the container I hasten to add).

Maybe you could put all that stuff in an airing cupboard or your car so that they don't get too eager!

Serious and maybe useful:

One thing it is worth having are the kid's red books with immunisation records in them as day care and schools usually want these to be checked before taking on you little darlings......
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:12 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

For some reason i brought my laptop on the plane but sent the webcam and headphones via the container, ended up having to buy a webcam etc here so ended up with 2 of everything when the container eventually arrived, if its a newer laptop it won't matter about the camera obviously . Any paperwork - ie driving licence, a credit card bill/mortgage statement, no claims bonus for car insurance, photo copies of passports (the visa page is always good and speeds stuff like house rental applications up) scan these also and stick 'em on the web or a USB drive just in case - good point about the uk multi sockets with NZ plugs on 'em saves a lot of faffing about when u land take at least one of these in your case - off the requested subject but in your container take absolutely everything you think you may even vaguely require even a ladder if you can clean it , I ain't got a ladder here, they cost a fortune, and like most things you don't miss it until you ain't got it.. my upstairs windows are really grotty but I can't get to 'em to clean 'em . Its an old and trusted rule also to split everyones stuff up so all your cases have something for everyone in case one goes astray ! hope this helps
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

if you need to clean your upstairs windows then you can use one of those extending poles with a brush on the end = about $40 in Placemakers, Mitre10, etc

they save a lot of work although you may get wet and use more water - which is a problem if you are "on tank" at the moment.

I'd also advise getting an excess flow valve to put on your garden hose - that allows you to switch the brush over and take the soap out without always turning the water on/off.....

HTH
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

An tea mug that I'd just put down after drinking it.

And a bag of rubbish from the kitchen.

Apart from that we did pretty well I think.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

i should think a good few towels each, tea towels, few pegs (all take up little room and would need to be purchased).
multi socket and adapter plugs,
a few books to while away the hours without your TV. we are going to take our Wii and a few games for the same reason in main luggage.

stuff we'll need for job or job hunting, and references for landlords etc, course certificates and course work.

seasonal clothing!.. will be needing warm winter clothing, and also any sport/activity wear... we plan to do some tramping before our container arrives, so our hiking boots, waterproofs and rucksacks will all be going in suitcases, along with cycle helmets and cycle gear as we may hire bikes before container arrives!

phew...glad weve got 50Kg each to use up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.