Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What a week - The packing starts tomorrow!

What a week - The packing starts tomorrow!

Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of
Thumbs up What a week - The packing starts tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

What a week !
My husband handed in his notice yesterday (been employed by the same firm for over 23yrs).
Then tomorrow, Robinsons Intl Removers are coming to pack up our house where we will remain for the next month until the house sale completes then its that one way ticket to New Zealand.

We are thinking about a holiday let for the first couple of weeks - has anyone got any good experiences of somewhere nice to stay in Rotorua with a of family four (2A & 2teenagers). We keep looking on the net and can't decide !!

To everyone who is going through the same life changes as us, I wish you all the very best.

Favorite saying at the moment "just add it to the list"!

Take care
steelblue and family
x
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice
Default Re: What a week - The packing starts tomorrow!

Wow how exciting, feel nervous for you hope all goes well, with the movers!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

we're in the same position as you with packers - we jst booked our packers for 14th & 15th May, we leave on 12th June so have 4 weeks in the house with none of our belongings just a suitcase of clothes to live on! Neighbours family & friends are lending us what ever we'l need like a 2nd hand sofa, a mattress to sleep on, kitchen equipment etc...
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Its must be really exciting for you all..... best of luck with the move, and I can't wait until we reach that point too!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck!!!! soooo jealous!! please buy our house somebody!!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and sending you huge positive vibes that it goes smoothly for you all.
Would you like me to go & check out some of the motels etc in Rotorua? There are hundreds of them (as you'd expect in a tourist town), and I can't actually recommend any simply because I've never had to stay in a motel here. But if you've got a shortlist I'm quite happy to go and visit, you know to make sure they're clean & warm etc.
With any luck someone else on the forum who has actually done the tourist thing here will be along with some recommendations for places they've stayed in.
If you get really stuck you can all come and squash into our spare bedroom....might be a tight squeeze though
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, I remember it well, but it will be a great adventure, my husband had been in his job 25 years, we came here with no job, no house..

but now after nearly two years have a lovely home, he has a great job and all is going well.

best of luck to you xxx
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:27 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk
Good luck and sending you huge positive vibes that it goes smoothly for you all.
Would you like me to go & check out some of the motels etc in Rotorua? There are hundreds of them (as you'd expect in a tourist town), and I can't actually recommend any simply because I've never had to stay in a motel here. But if you've got a shortlist I'm quite happy to go and visit, you know to make sure they're clean & warm etc.
With any luck someone else on the forum who has actually done the tourist thing here will be along with some recommendations for places they've stayed in.
If you get really stuck you can all come and squash into our spare bedroom....might be a tight squeeze though
Very nice offer Tomsk - in the true spirit of BE. Have some karma.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:32 am
luckybean

angmargien is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: What a week - The packing starts tomorrow!

Hi guys

I am also rearing to go. Handed in my notice last Friday...packers coming in at end May and I plan to leave around 18th June.

Just wondered has anyone had the same issues as me with cancelling insurance etc. They are wanting to charge me left right and centre for cancelling which seems really unfair. I don't even have a 'contract' with Virgin and they want to charge me a £25 cancellation fee!!! Plus car Ins £52 fee, even when my policy expires on the 20th June (2 days after I leave). They have told me in no uncertain terms, that, if I let the policy lapse and I sell they car then no one else will be able to insure it. What a rip off!!!

So glad I am leaving this place!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in the Ambassador Thermal Motel, 5 minutes walk to the town centre. Cost was $110 for a studio, don't know about the 1 or 2 bedroom apartments.
Clean and tidy and looked like the rooms had been newly decorated. Small heated pool outside. So good we have been there twiceThe older part looks it but the rooms looked like they had been redone inside
Sorry Moderators if I've broken any rules on advertising

Good luck with the move and your new life here in NZ!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Our house was packed up last Thursday and we too have borrowed stuff.......we will have 9 weeks without all our things! Exciting and scary at the same time.Good luck to you all

Phyl x
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:08 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck you will be fine, promise, its exiting and scary and good on you for doing it , most kiwis we have spoke to think we were crazy to come here with no job and nowhere to live... but It all gets sorted in the end and you will be on here with the rest of them complaining and well and enjoying things to other people that are going through the same thing...

best of luck to you on your new life
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by angmargien
Hi guys

I am also rearing to go. Handed in my notice last Friday...packers coming in at end May and I plan to leave around 18th June.

Just wondered has anyone had the same issues as me with cancelling insurance etc. They are wanting to charge me left right and centre for cancelling which seems really unfair. I don't even have a 'contract' with Virgin and they want to charge me a £25 cancellation fee!!! Plus car Ins £52 fee, even when my policy expires on the 20th June (2 days after I leave). They have told me in no uncertain terms, that, if I let the policy lapse and I sell they car then no one else will be able to insure it. What a rip off!!!

So glad I am leaving this place!
I dont umderstand if what they have told you about selling the car and no one else can insure it as we left our insurance running for exactly the same reason, but my sister insured the car 4 months before ours ran out i'd look into trying to insure it with someone else and see if they tell you cant......
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We've stayed in a few places in Rotorua & all have been excellent.
Regal Palms, 350 Fenton Street www.regalpalms.co.nz
The Silver Fern, 326 Fenton Street www.silverfernresort.co.nz
Millennium Hotel, Rotorua (opposite the Polynesian Spa) www.millenniumhotels.co.nz

We thought we wouldn't be able to afford the latter but they had some great deals on-line & worked out alot cheaper than some of the motels we looked at. The staff were very friendly & helpful too

There are loads of places to stay in Rotorua so you will find something. I think it's a great place & could live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.