Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to wear for interview??

What to wear for interview??

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light
Default What to wear for interview??

Hi all,

Applied for job last week, and got phone call yesterday evening (whilst watching DS's cricket match) to say that I have a telephone interview at 9am Thurs (NZ time) 10pm UK time Weds!!

So what do I wear? Do I dress the part so I feel like I am in an interview but will look really peculiar wearing a suit whilst sitting at the kitchen table at 10pm, or do I sit in my PJs - not sure how professional I'll feel .

Any suggestions most welcome.

Must admit a panel interview via the phone from the other side of the world feels most daunting - anyone who's been through it?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to wear for interview??

Originally Posted by sjake
Hi all,

Applied for job last week, and got phone call yesterday evening (whilst watching DS's cricket match) to say that I have a telephone interview at 9am Thurs (NZ time) 10pm UK time Weds!!

So what do I wear? Do I dress the part so I feel like I am in an interview but will look really peculiar wearing a suit whilst sitting at the kitchen table at 10pm, or do I sit in my PJs - not sure how professional I'll feel .

Must admit a panel interview via the phone from the other side of the world feels most daunting - anyone who's been through it?
I would just dress smart casual so you are comfortable but not too comfy in your PJ's! I think if I was wearing my PJs I wouldnt feel very umm professional!!!

Good Luck
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a glass of wine at hand too, works wonders for me I got offered jobs both times using this philosophy. Infact the second interview I had, I was quite sloshed.

I'd dress casually
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:17 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a telephone interview but I googled this for you, it might help?

http://www.myjobsearch.com/jobhelp/i...nd_advice.html

Good luck
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

I had a telephone interview in my PJ`s sitting on our bed because it was the only quiet place in the house away from the kids!!
Was interviewed by a panel of three and the interview must have gone well coz they offered me the job!!
I think the PJ`s relaxed me rather than made me nervous!! Would recommend PJ`s every time!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sjake
Hi all,

I wouldnt dress up for the interview, just wear what you feel comfortable with during the day.. casual, maybe not pjs..

telephone interviews are tricky in some respects because you do not have the visual cues and clues, but also gives you an opportunity to be more prepared. have a copy of your cv at hand, you can refer to that durnig the interview, use a highlighter to mark some key selling points and achievements. that way you wont have to try to remember it during the interview. i also made notes during the interview, writing down a quick reminder of something on my cv that relates to a specific point raised by the interviewer, so i can refer to it again later in the interview.

the questions will largely be the same as for a regular interview, so jotting down some reminders and prompts helps.

you only have your voice to use to sell yourself, so use a confident and cheerful tone.

i find sitting by a desk, cv, pen, piece of paper and some water at the ready works. dont let on or make it sound that your writing down things or flicking through pages though!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

hokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud of

Hi there - my advice would be not to wear pj's but to stick to comfy clothes. Also make sure you do have peace and quiet and, if possible let folks know not to call you. My biggest problem during my phone interview (which was with a panel of three and also at 10pm) was staying focussed. I was sooooo tired! Interview lasted an hour and 20 minutes! Am always in favour of a wee glass of wine but, in this instance, I think a can of red bull might be a better option. Another tip - probably obvious to most folks - but dont stick notes to the wall using sellotape - I now have patches all over the bedroom wall where I ripped the paint off!! All the best for thursday.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:23 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Naked.

With a bowtie (we aren't completely casual)

Just check it's not a webcam interview.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hubby had a telephone interview, he just wore jeans and a t-shirt something comfy that he could relax in as he was nervous as hell , but it worked and he got the job, we just have to get the visa now

But good luck
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Naked.

With a bowtie (we aren't completely casual)

Just check it's not a webcam interview.
Don't think that my kitchen chairs would be the most comfortable under those circumstances!!

Not a webcam interview - in some respect wish it was and least I could see who I was talking to & get my visual clues.

Well just under 14 hours to go.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:51 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for your interview

Decided on your attire yet? I was going to suggest naked but Kiwiprincess got there first

Let us all know how you get on [and what you wear]

Sue
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi - I had a telephone interview , totally got the times mixed up & when they rang me I was in bed - half asleep. I shot out of bed , tripped over my shoes & bumped all the way downstairs - babbling on all the while. I had to get a drink, as it was bank holiday & I had over indulged so my mouth was like a bottom of a budgies cage & turn the computer on - all as silently as possible ! Thank god it wasn't a video link cos I looked like something from the thriller video !
But I did get the job - i think they felt sorry for me ! - so just chill out & be yourself & do what you feel is right for you
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:05 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

This probably qualifies as one of the dumbest threads for 2009.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:47 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Kate2112
If that's how you feel, why waste your time reading it and then commenting on it???
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:32 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I dunno, how about your "Men who Women wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers" thread - surely a qualifier?!