Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

WHat we should have brought and why...

WHat we should have brought and why...

Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHat we should have brought and why...

We gave away an almost brand new pine tv cabinet before moving.... stupid move.... couldnt find one here at all and ended up paying hundreds for something we liked.

We shouldve brought more of our garden furniture with us....we had loads and left it all.

I shouldve brought more of my horse equipment with me.... I left it all at my friends who has my horse in the UK and she didnt really need it.... I needed it here more.

I maybe shouldve brought my Smart car.... certainly wish Id looked into it before just selling it.

We left so many tools....... a good double bed... I gave away 95% of our baby stuff to charity. (regret that one now!!)

Left too much stuff and its cost so much to replace although its nice having some news bits of furniture. Thats why I always say on here to bring everything you can.

Cheers

Sarah
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
We gave away an almost brand new pine tv cabinet before moving.... stupid move.... couldnt find one here at all and ended up paying hundreds for something we liked.

We shouldve brought more of our garden furniture with us....we had loads and left it all.

I shouldve brought more of my horse equipment with me.... I left it all at my friends who has my horse in the UK and she didnt really need it.... I needed it here more.

I maybe shouldve brought my Smart car.... certainly wish Id looked into it before just selling it.

We left so many tools....... a good double bed... I gave away 95% of our baby stuff to charity. (regret that one now!!)

Left too much stuff and its cost so much to replace although its nice having some news bits of furniture. Thats why I always say on here to bring everything you can.

Cheers

Sarah
What a great thread!
We are packing up our stuff ready to move into rented -so how do you clean the garden tools? We have a hose pipe ban so we can't pressure clean anything! Did you take a lawn mower with you? I've been brushing the grass off it but it's really hard to get all the mud and grass off especially from the inside of mower!

We've just given so much stuff away on freecycle but I'm keeping in mind all your advice about bringing as much as poss to NZ. I'm just concerned about cleaning it.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helinuk
What a great thread!
We are packing up our stuff ready to move into rented -so how do you clean the garden tools? We have a hose pipe ban so we can't pressure clean anything! Did you take a lawn mower with you? I've been brushing the grass off it but it's really hard to get all the mud and grass off especially from the inside of mower!

We've just given so much stuff away on freecycle but I'm keeping in mind all your advice about bringing as much as poss to NZ. I'm just concerned about cleaning it.
I think they problably need steam cleaning...You are going to have to break then hose pipe ban I am sure they will understand...!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

We just bought a bedroom set over here which included a solid wood slatted Queen size bed, tallboy, dresser with HUGE mirror and 2 bedside tables (all NZ pine) for less than $1400 new. Don't know if that helps in your thinking, but if you go to enough places you'll probably get a good deal
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
We just bought a bedroom set over here which included a solid wood slatted Queen size bed, tallboy, dresser with HUGE mirror and 2 bedside tables (all NZ pine) for less than $1400 new. Don't know if that helps in your thinking, but if you go to enough places you'll probably get a good deal
hey steve where did you get th ebed one, i need one for guests, but need a good matress, (they've all got bad backs ) any help gratefullt recieved
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:28 am
Just Joined

mutleypig is an unknown quantity at this point

great thread
we are moving to nz in the new year - wondering what to take
what about electricals? I read somewhere to take some 4 way socket extensions & just change the plug on that so you can keep using the uk plugs
small things like kettle/iron etc
also will our computers work there - we have got quite a bit of moneys worth here but will get nothing to sell them 2nd hand
another also - PS2
sorry keep thinking of things!!
i go to bed each night with things spinning through my head
thanks for any info
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutleypig
great thread
we are moving to nz in the new year - wondering what to take
what about electricals? I read somewhere to take some 4 way socket extensions & just change the plug on that so you can keep using the uk plugs
small things like kettle/iron etc
also will our computers work there - we have got quite a bit of moneys worth here but will get nothing to sell them 2nd hand
another also - PS2
sorry keep thinking of things!!
i go to bed each night with things spinning through my head
thanks for any info
yep thats what we did , we brought all our electric items & all work fine, either change plug on ext leads or change plug on appliance
easy peasy
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poppets
yep thats what we did , we brought all our electric items & all work fine, either change plug on ext leads or change plug on appliance
easy peasy
Good thanks - did you take computers? I'm not very techie & didn't know if they are all the same
slight change of subject but we are also torn between 3 areas, any recommendations?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:31 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's an amazing deal! We just bought almost the identical thing in the US, only King Size, for $2,500 US... which is about $4,000 NZ - yikes!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

we bought one the same when we first got here for $1800, bed, bedside cabinets, dressing table/mirror and also 4 drawer chest with bed linen and duvet, and we bought the same sort of package last weekend for the spare room for same price....that was the cheapest for auckland that we found...am guessing hamilton must be slightly cheaper

beds on their own seem mega expensive here
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Good thanks - did you take computers? I'm not very techie & didn't know if they are all the same
slight change of subject but we are also torn between 3 areas, any recommendations?

yes we brought, 3 laptops & 1 PC, (hubby's into all things techie)
we live on kapiti coast - approx 1 hr from wellington & love it,
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

All electricals work fine, no probs with computers or laptops, we got Broadband with Telecom, they send you modem etc. TV's just need to be hooked through a NZ VCR. Playstation, DVD's etc all work fine. Hubby says that he'll need a NZ DVD when he starts to buy DVD's from here (could it be something to do with the regions), or maybe he just wants a new one. We didn't even change plugs, just used adaptors and surge plugs on the extensions. You'll find the houses here don't have as many sockets in rooms as back home.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

fiona i is on a distinguished road

Bring loads of money with you cos the wages are crap!!! bring lots of warm clothes cos the weathers crap!!!infact bring lots of everything cos its much better where you come from!!! on second thoughts stay where you are cos this place is crap!!!!! off to oz first chance we get!!!!!!!!!!!!! unhappy in Auckland

Last edited by fiona i; Oct 13th 2006 at 7:19 am.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poppets
hey steve where did you get th ebed one, i need one for guests, but need a good matress, (they've all got bad backs ) any help gratefullt recieved
OK, mattress was extra ($680 negotiated down from $799) from Big Save Furniture, branches all over NZ.

Back to what to bring, I recommend bringing a Leatherman Multi Tool or equivelant (Swiss Army Knife for the traditionalist!). In less than a week after arriving I have used mine to change electrical plugs, screw in loose light fittings, fix an electrical socket, open packaging, put together furniture from said packaging, construct a light aircraft and fend off a Great White!

OK, maybe not the last 2 but it has been really handy to have, and it is small enough to make no difference to luggage allowance and will fit in the top of any bag.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks poppet & Boopy
just what I wanted to hear - will hang onto everything & bring it with me