Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

WHat we should have brought and why...

WHat we should have brought and why...

Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default WHat we should have brought and why...

Hey guys,

As an add on to the thread "Taking everything with you"..purhaps we can get our point about bringing everything with you by being more specific...

So lets all say what houshold items we wished we would have brought with us and why, (big or small ticket items)

Mine would be:

Gardening equipment- strimmer. fork, spades etc. Didn't bring it because of the soil issue but realise now declaration and inspection would have been cheaper than replacing it all, five years on we still haven't replaced everything.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WHat we should have brought and why...

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Hey guys,

As an add on to the thread "Taking everything with you"..purhaps we can get our point about bringing everything with you by being more specific...

So lets all say what houshold items we wished we would have brought with us and why, (big or small ticket items)

Mine would be:

Gardening equipment- strimmer. fork, spades etc. Didn't bring it because of the soil issue but realise now declaration and inspection would have been cheaper than replacing it all, five years on we still haven't replaced everything.
I would have bought my upright vacuum cleaner...I miss my upright vacuum cleaner, as the ones here are fairly expensive from what I have seen, I hate these ones that roll along the floor, I keep getting tangled up in the bloody hose yeah yeah i know I am stupid

would have bought more towels as some of them are crap here unless you pay thru the nose for them

cant think of much else really
Old Oct 5th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Well done, this is a good idea

We didn't bring anything apart from photos and a few bits that would fit in our suitcases, but I would say that if you have a decent book collection then bring them. Sounds a bit boring I know but I wish we brought more!
I did bring my Hubble book but we sold the rest of ours for a pittance at a car boot sale thinking that we could pick more up here but they are really expensive!
Hubs had loads of art reference type books from his uni days, we had a fantastic science encyclopedia that we haven't been able to replace.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jude J

We didn't bring anything apart from photos and a few bits that would fit in our suitcases, but I would say that if you have a decent book collection then bring them. Sounds a bit boring I know but I wish we brought more!
I did bring my Hubble book but we sold the rest of ours for a pittance at a car boot sale thinking that we could pick more up here but they are really expensive!
Hubs had loads of art reference type books from his uni days, we had a fantastic science encyclopedia that we haven't been able to replace.
Hiya
I miss my hot point front loading washer as this in our rental doesn't clean anything !!!!!! you might as well hand wash it.
Ours is sat on the dock side and i will give it a big kiss when i get it
Jane
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Super-duper thread-will watch with interest.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Front loader, we were going to buy new leather sofas but decided not to and I regret that as the quality of the affordable sofas here isn't as good.
My chimenea.
Thank god we brought the kids lego ... a huge tub full of it.
I'd bring lots of duvet covers, towels, M&S knickers and bras.
Glad we bought our beds before we came over too.
We should have also bought heaps of kids clothing from George in Asda while we still had the money cos the quality was far better than here, everything falls apart ... or maybe that's back to having a top loading washing machine again.
Trainers we should have put a lifetimes worth in the container as even the cheap ones in the uk are better.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Coat hangers ! Chucked most ours and you have to buy them here !

Tip for George cloths !
Get the family to buy them when its a sale as the end of there season is the start of ours, even with posting it still works out a lot cheaper than buying crap from the Warehouse !

Mens Suites, if you need one for work. There a fortune here !
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jude J

I agree - definately books - they are sooooooo expensive here
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky
Front loader, we were going to buy new leather sofas but decided not to and I regret that as the quality of the affordable sofas here isn't as good.
My chimenea.
Thank god we brought the kids lego ... a huge tub full of it.
I'd bring lots of duvet covers, towels, M&S knickers and bras.
Glad we bought our beds before we came over too.
We should have also bought heaps of kids clothing from George in Asda while we still had the money cos the quality was far better than here, everything falls apart ... or maybe that's back to having a top loading washing machine again.
Trainers we should have put a lifetimes worth in the container as even the cheap ones in the uk are better.
KIDS CLOTHING, KIDS CLOTHING and KIDS CLOTHING - enough for the next 6 years of their lives at least!! Kids clothes at home are wayyyy nicer than here, and wayyyyy cheaper - tbe only decent ones here cost a fortune and I miss Next for my kids and Debenhams.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Tip for George clothes !
Get the family to buy them when its a sale as the end of there season is the start of ours, even with posting it still works out a lot cheaper than buying crap from the Warehouse !
we're getting family to stock up on tesco's multipack clothes and bring with them when they come - can't match value and quality over here.
agree re:garden tools - although they're not too expensive over here compared to some stuff - we gave a load away cos thought the cleaning would be too much like hard work and every now and then I go to use that little whojamathingy and realise we didn't bring it.
agree re: towels/bedding - would've stocked up at matalan! would still be reasonable quality without breaking the bank.
Vicki
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:31 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: WHat we should have brought and why...

Your local pub.............

God, the bars are terrible unless you love betting and sitting on high stools.

OOhhhh my poor back !!!!! Didn`t stop me staying there for a few hours tonight to watch the rugby.............What happened Canterbury ?????

Taff ( Stags to win tomorrow......................please !!!)
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:37 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we're getting family to stock up on tesco's multipack clothes and bring with them when they come - can't match value and quality over here.
agree re:garden tools - although they're not too expensive over here compared to some stuff - we gave a load away cos thought the cleaning would be too much like hard work and every now and then I go to use that little whojamathingy and realise we didn't bring it.
agree re: towels/bedding - would've stocked up at matalan! would still be reasonable quality without breaking the bank.
Vicki

We cleared out Matalan In Canterbury, Kent before we left.
Don`t be too worried about High Street fashion here..........

..... thats the great thing in NZ..........no keeping up with the Jones`s
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

I am a decorator and I must have given away a least a hundred tins of paint (doh) Chucked all my overalls away ( you cant buy bib and brace here). Decent roller buckets also cost a fortune. All sold on the car boot for 50 pence each ( what a fool)
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:09 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Don`t be too worried about High Street fashion here............... thats the great thing in NZ..........no keeping up with the Jones`s
thank God for sanity ....... here we come!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

has anybody brought new funiture (quality stuff) because I believe there is quite a long wait time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.