Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What we did in Napier

What we did in Napier

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:34 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile What we did in Napier

Took daughter off for a break to Napier (she's 6 1/2) from the Wellington area on Sunday for 3 nights. Here's what we did:

Stopped in Palmerston North at the central square for a coffee. Should have got full strength no decaf but then went straight on through the Manawatu Gorge. On the way back (going west), I think this road, if you're not used to driving it, would be a lot less stressful, as you're next to the rockface. On the way back we came over by the Te Apiti Wind Farm. The Gorge road is 7 kms, and it's 8 kms from the wind farm to Woodville and 9 kms down to Ashurst, so take your pick. Personally I much preferred Saddle Road via the wind farm.

Journey aside, here's what we did:

Day One
  • Opossum World
  • National Aquarium
  • Marine Land
  • Views from Bluff Hill (daughter wanted to bring home both the feral kittens we saw there! )

Day Two
  • Tried to go to Cape Kidnappers - tide was too high
  • Found Huamoana Farmyard Zoo (might have got that first word wrong) on way back and daughter had a pony ride and got to pet a ton of animals
  • Went walking to look at art deco architecture
  • Ocean Spa for a nice relax in the pool Daughter dipped her toe in the two unheated (cooled???) pools and ran away screaming . The two hottubs are salt water
  • To end the day - mini golf! Daughter got 30 on one hole

Day Three - The Voyage Home
  • Silky Oak Chocolate Shop
  • Te Apiti Wind Farm

Time spent behind the wheel: 4 hours each way
Kilometres between Welly & Napier: roughly 315
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What we did in Napier

Originally Posted by Maz
Took daughter off for a break to Napier (she's 6 1/2) from the Wellington area on Sunday for 3 nights. Here's what we did:

Stopped in Palmerston North at the central square for a coffee. Should have got full strength no decaf but then went straight on through the Manawatu Gorge. On the way back (going west), I think this road, if you're not used to driving it, would be a lot less stressful, as you're next to the rockface. On the way back we came over by the Te Apiti Wind Farm. The Gorge road is 7 kms, and it's 8 kms from the wind farm to Woodville and 9 kms down to Ashurst, so take your pick. Personally I much preferred Saddle Road via the wind farm.

Journey aside, here's what we did:

Day One
  • Opossum World
  • National Aquarium
  • Marine Land
  • Views from Bluff Hill (daughter wanted to bring home both the feral kittens we saw there! )

Day Two
  • Tried to go to Cape Kidnappers - tide was too high
  • Found Huamoana Farmyard Zoo (might have got that first word wrong) on way back and daughter had a pony ride and got to pet a ton of animals
  • Went walking to look at art deco architecture
  • Ocean Spa for a nice relax in the pool Daughter dipped her toe in the two unheated (cooled???) pools and ran away screaming . The two hottubs are salt water
  • To end the day - mini golf! Daughter got 30 on one hole

Day Three - The Voyage Home
  • Silky Oak Chocolate Shop
  • Te Apiti Wind Farm

Time spent behind the wheel: 4 hours each way
Kilometres between Welly & Napier: roughly 315
Sounds like you had a very full three days. We visited Easter 2007 for two days and only managed to do Opossum World - very scary, Cape Kidnappers - very windy, smelly and journey on a dodgy tractor. Also managed to squeeze in Marine Lane - is Kelly the oldest sea lion still there?

Didn't get to Ocean Spa - OH wanted to snap Art Deco buildings rather than laze about in a spa and in-laws wanted to look in the antique shops!!

Maybe once we get to Wellington permanently I will be able to have a trip to Napier to laze about in the spa.

Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joandmike
Sounds like you had a very full three days.
That's for sure!

We visited Easter 2007 for two days and only managed to do Opossum World - very scary
Yeah it sure is! I loved the opossum "choir" but wished I'd got a better shot of the chopper, v nice! We were in the NI during Easter 2007 too! Freaky...

Cape Kidnappers - very windy, smelly and journey on a dodgy tractor.
The next tractor trip wasn't until 11 am the following day, the tides were all wrong for us. Plus I'm sure the walk would have been waaaay too long!

Also managed to squeeze in Marine Lane - is Kelly the oldest sea lion still there?
Yep! And she's now (dolphin, not sea lion ) 38 years old yikes!

Didn't get to Ocean Spa - OH wanted to snap Art Deco buildings rather than laze about in a spa and in-laws wanted to look in the antique shops!!
Hmmm... the art deco is OK... for a bit. But once you've seen 5 or 6 buildings, you're kind of done, I think. (in my professional opinion of course ) Antique shops = everyone else's junk.

Maybe once we get to Wellington permanently I will be able to have a trip to Napier to laze about in the spa.

Jo
Now there's a good idea!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I actually think it all sounds rather lovely quality time for a mum and daughter.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

joandmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
That's for sure!

Yeah it sure is! I loved the opossum "choir" but wished I'd got a better shot of the chopper, v nice! We were in the NI during Easter 2007 too! Freaky...

The next tractor trip wasn't until 11 am the following day, the tides were all wrong for us. Plus I'm sure the walk would have been waaaay too long!

Yep! And she's now (dolphin, not sea lion ) 38 years old yikes!

Hmmm... the art deco is OK... for a bit. But once you've seen 5 or 6 buildings, you're kind of done, I think. (in my professional opinion of course ) Antique shops = everyone else's junk.

Now there's a good idea!
Sorry got my sea animals confused - only remember the name because it is the same as my sister-in-law, which needless to say entertained my two children!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lovely couple of days Maz

We visited MarineLand once with the school and would NEVER EVER go there again. Very sad to see such beautiful creatures in bath tubs; even my 5 (then 4) year old clocked that is was cruel and still talks about it.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:04 am
Maz

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I actually think it all sounds rather lovely quality time for a mum and daughter.
It was, it was really nice.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Sounds like a lovely couple of days Maz

We visited MarineLand once with the school and would NEVER EVER go there again. Very sad to see such beautiful creatures in bath tubs; even my 5 (then 4) year old clocked that is was cruel and still talks about it.
Yeah we only went because daughter insisted on seeing the show. She hates seeing animals in cages as much as I do, but doesn't seem to realise that making animals perform is just as bad.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
It was, it was really nice.

Yeah we only went because daughter insisted on seeing the show. She hates seeing animals in cages as much as I do, but doesn't seem to realise that making animals perform is just as bad.
Good Times Maz

The Wineries were great too, and sooooooo many

The girls at marineland were so caring and friendly, top show

Cheers Jads
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:37 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by jads
Good Times Maz

The Wineries were great too, and sooooooo many

The girls at marineland were so caring and friendly, top show

Cheers Jads
Hi Jads

We deliberately didn't do any wineries on this trip as it was just me and the littl'un. Will wait until a time when hubby is with us, too. He might appreciate it just a little more.