Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What we all like about NZ and UK

What we all like about NZ and UK

Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:39 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default What we all like about NZ and UK

You knew I'd have to do this didn't you? I'm a pain in the ass optimist, so seeing as we've all had a good moan, what do you LIKE about either/both the UK and NZ. For me:

UK - sense of humour, and always been able to laugh at the most bizarre situations

NZ - the friendliest people I've ever met
Old Nov 27th 2005, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we all like about NZ and UK

Originally Posted by bookemjano
I'm a pain in the ass optimist,
it's what we like so much about you!!

NZ: friendly people; polite & considerate youth; well maintained, clean parks; teenage boys in shorts and long socks(ooh er missus - find it amusing, not anything else!!); all the cyclists - I think I'm developing a bum fetish (by the way Jan, how's your biking going??)

UK: free medical care (even though it won't be sustainable), double glazing / central heating - someone had to put it!

vicki
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

NZ cool place to be!

UK Errrrrrrrrrr, ahem, Errrrrrrrrrrr, well..........errrrrrrrrrrr, like nothing.......sorry!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:08 am
Just Joined

terrybr is on a distinguished road

UK - Cold crisp sunny mornings like the other day. The air was cold enough to bite at your face!
NZ - Been a while since my last visit, but it's got to be the clean air, wide open spaces and the scenery/wilderness.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:27 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

NZ: The people. The contrasts. The way the mountains seem to fold in on themselves. Flat whites and long blacks. Fried bananas for brekkie!! Roads designed for motorbikes.(and don't the police know it!!) The smell of the air.

UK: Cheap travel. London. Trafalgar Square. Regular concerts.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:41 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bookemjano
You knew I'd have to do this didn't you? I'm a pain in the ass optimist, so seeing as we've all had a good moan, what do you LIKE about either/both the UK and NZ. For me:

UK - sense of humour, and always been able to laugh at the most bizarre situations

NZ - the friendliest people I've ever met

UK: Footpaths and Bridleways to allow access to the countryside.
NZ: Friendly people willing to give you a go.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:08 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Joshlin
it's what we like so much about you!!

NZ: friendly people; polite & considerate youth; well maintained, clean parks; teenage boys in shorts and long socks(ooh er missus - find it amusing, not anything else!!); all the cyclists - I think I'm developing a bum fetish (by the way Jan, how's your biking going??)

UK: free medical care (even though it won't be sustainable), double glazing / central heating - someone had to put it!

vicki
The biking, erm, well, yes, hmm, dum de dum, biking, erm, well, yes ...

Fine on my bike in a straight line, on grass, no traffic and no other cyclists, and on level ground. Yep, I've progressed to the garden!

But I did pass my theory test last week! Woo hoo. 34 out of 35. Bloody give way rules! Wonder if I can drive the car round the garden?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:11 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

UK- its home obviously, plus all the entertainment such as gigs, concerts etc

NZ- not much to say really, urmm, nice beaches
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

camelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant future

What I like about the ......

UK: witty repoitee, mushy peas, chips and gravy, the best cups of tea on the planet, cheese, castles & history, Little Britain, Alan Partridge, The Office, cornish pasties, miserable market stall owners, smelly bus drivers, congested tube trains, overcrowded pubs, cockneys, northerners, the Welsh, Scots, and Irish, The French, cold weather & snow, Jeremy Paxman's book - The English, Xmas, holly and mistletoe, Hampton Court Castle at Xmas time, warm beer, Princess Di (even now), London theatres, crap package holidays to magaluf, Sunday roasts, everyday comedians, Tweed, The British Empire, Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria,.... and everything else in between.....

NZ: Mmmmmmm....Ummmmm.....only kidding, Sun, Sun and more Sun and gorgeous gardens, Eden Gardens in Auckland is heaven. Beaches and St Heliers. And the best thing I like is jumping on a plane to one of the gorgeous South Pacific Islands - so what I like most about NZ is its closeness to the South Pacific. Hmmmm, that's revealing......
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

camelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant futurecamelot has a brilliant future

.....Forgot to add what I like most about the UK............

Having a good ole' rip snorting, side splitting, back arching laugh every day.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

I'm on a roll now....

Just remembered some more to add on what I like about NZ....

Strolling along the pristine beach and not spotting a used condom or turd floating in the sea, which is just as well really cos I also like picking your own mussels off the rocks at Bluff, and then watching as kiwis get busted by fisheries spies for going over their quota of 50 mussels per head...(tee hee).....the lengths they go to, to avoid getting caught, like scaling the sheer cliff face rather than walking past the beach, it's quite hysterical (tee hee)

Also like Otara Flea Market and the cool reggae vibes of the Islanders on their stalls, and drinking from a freshly opened coconut that they sell down there...that's quite cool too...Like the Maori boil ups (when they're done well) and their fried bread and steam pud at the market.

Having Afternoon Tea at the Cornwall Park restaurant at One Tree Hill on a sunny afternoon, that's lovely after you've walked your dog....

Absolutely adore the Marborough wine district and quaffing back the wine in that beautiful scenery, and the dolphins and whales you can see in most places is a treasure too.....

....Actually, this place aint so bad after all.....Lets all kick back and enjoy....
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:57 am
bulldog billy

UK - its where it all started arguably WAS the best country in the world to be in 15-20 years ago. Now not so good - Blair has done an unbelieveably good job in effing the country up in only what 6 years.

NZ - omg anyone seen "invasion of the bodysnatchers" - thats a kiwi not a lot going on in there LOL. Or as a mate of mine puts it " dead from the ankles up" - typical new zeulander.

I am so sick of their b*llsh*t media coverage of everything kiwi being brillant makes you feel like your living in a cold war era communist country being fed all their propoganda crap. Must be why kiwis have such large chips on their "wee" shoulders.

Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:25 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

UK : Pompey football club, Family & Friends, scenery, London, Europe, eastern Europe, Pay packet, Portsdown Hill, people

NZ : Scenery, Beaches, Pacific Islands, Rain,
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I take it bulldog billy is the poster previously known as homesick harry, previously known as....
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Here are mine:
UK - beer, villages esp Devon ones, cheap gadgets, loads of footpaths etc to walk the dog on
NZ - climate; lack of crowds on beaches etc; lack of traffic except in the obvious bad spots; being able to park where I want to; not having to pay to park everywhere including at the beach; great beaches for windsurfing and sailing (my two big things which I was mising out on living in Wiltshire); no overweight people with tatoos, shaven heads, bling jewellery and adidas everything; cheap fillet steak; cheaper houses for what I need where I need to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.