Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What type of person does well in NZ?

What type of person does well in NZ?

Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:36 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default What type of person does well in NZ?

Random check-list.

1) Professional skills : IT, builder, doctor etc, or better yet retired.
2) Well over 30 years old
3) Not particularly well travelled
4) Enjoys the outdoors
5) Does not really care about 'culture' or the 'arts'.
6) Won't miss the pub
7) Or football
8) Or cheap trips abroad
9) Or family and friends
10) Or the British sense of humor
11) Can handle 'tall poppy syndrome' adeptly
12) More of a follower than a leader
13) Doesn't care about living in cold housing
14) Has plenty of hobbies to keep them occupied
15) Has the ability to make new friends easily
16) Likes the church (always good for building networks)
17) If a man, is a 'mans man'.
18) Is not a flash harry
19) Does not whinge, moan, or carry on
20) Thinks that NZ is paradise on earth
21) Plenty of cash in the bank.
22) If in higher education appreciates the pedagogue style of teaching

Agreed?

Last edited by Jokerman; Oct 25th 2008 at 1:53 am.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What type of person does well in NZ?

[Yawn] well I'm opposite of all except number 20 and I think I'm doing alright...
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:57 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Agree? Nah not really
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Random check-list.

1) Professional skills : IT, builder, doctor etc, or better yet retired. - agree because this will command the highest salary levels in the employed sector.
2) Well over 30 years old - agree because you have had time to become cheesed off with the rat race
3) Not particularly well travelled - partly agree - it is hard to visit other places from here so best if you are not a 'weekend break in Paris' person.
4) Enjoys the outdoors - agree - a Kiwi friend told us we'd like NZ if we liked outdoor stuff and we do.
5) Does not really care about 'culture' or the 'arts'. - don't have to give this up completely in Wellington & films get here very quickly
6) Won't miss the pub - might help but loads of cafes and restaurants to make up for it in Wellington
7) Or football - going to see Wellington Phoenix play tomorrow actually.
8) Or cheap trips abroad - yes
9) Or family and friends - yes of course it's a long way away
10) Or the British sense of humor - lots of Brits here so don't have to do without this at all
11) Can handle 'tall poppy syndrome' adeptly - ?
12) More of a follower than a leader - depends what your role is here I suppose.
13) Doesn't care about living in cold housing -it's costly but you can make houses warm.
14) Has plenty of hobbies to keep them occupied - never a bad thing anywhere
15) Has the ability to make new friends easily - ditto
16) Likes the church (always good for building networks) yes..hard one this ...politics also a good way but with both they try to make you Chairperson as soon as you walk through the door...likewise school PTA!
17) If a man, is a 'mans man'...no idea I'm female but liking sport seems to go down well for sure
18) Is not a flash harry - probably who does like Flash Harry spiv types?
19) Does not whinge, moan, or carry on - yes no one likes to hear their country being slagged off by newcomers
20) Thinks that NZ is paradise on earth - this only happens during honeymoon phase
21) Plenty of cash in the bank. - yes a major plus
22) If in higher education appreciates the pedagogue style of teaching - no idea.

Agreed?
I've annotated them - certain ring of truth there I'd say.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 25th 2008 at 6:05 am. Reason: sp
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:45 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I've one more:

Doesn't think NZ is paradise before they get here.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:04 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Random check-list.

1) Professional skills : IT, builder, doctor etc, or better yet retired: hubby has prof skills
2) Well over 30 years old: Im well over....lol
3) Not particularly well travelled: Iam well travelled
4) Enjoys the outdoors: ih the summer with a glass or two of wine
5) Does not really care about 'culture' or the 'arts'.: no dont give a shit
6) Won't miss the pub: no I dont miss english pubs
7) Or football : hate football
8) Or cheap trips abroad: maybe
9) Or family and friends: miss them but dont pine for them they were a pain in the ass most of the time
10) Or the British sense of humor: well I have friends here with the same humour, and we have UKTV...lol, but if your talking Bernard Manning them no
11) Can handle 'tall poppy syndrome' adeptly:
12) More of a follower than a leader: oh yes I really am a follower...not
13) Doesn't care about living in cold housing: my house is warm
14) Has plenty of hobbies to keep them occupied: not realy
15) Has the ability to make new friends easily: Yes I do
16) Likes the church (always good for building networks): Im a Atheist hate church
17) If a man, is a 'mans man'. ooooh goody
18) Is not a flash harry: nope
19) Does not whinge, moan, or carry on: just whinge at the husband
20) Thinks that NZ is paradise on earth: no I dont
21) Plenty of cash in the bank.: yes we have
22) If in higher education appreciates the pedagogue style of teaching: dont care

Agreed?
so No
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:00 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
I've one more:

Doesn't think NZ is paradise before they get here.
- better pick the "right" threads here then........

BTW, how do you handle tall poppy syndrome "adeptly" .....

do you duck???
or buy a bigger weed eater???

I found the original post amusing otherwise and some of the respondents even more so

As others have said "going to NZ is best if *you* don't have to work".....too true.....
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Professional skills : IT, builder, doctor etc, or better yet retired.
The more money the better the experience, however I know people who have emigrated from very bleak North Western towns and they definitely have much better lifestyles and opportunities.

2) Well over 30 years old
Very good for kids too, probably up until they start wanting to experience the world or earn decent money.

3) Not particularly well travelled
Disagree, many NZ'ers and expats are very well travelled.

4) Enjoys the outdoors
Yes

5) Does not really care about 'culture' or the 'arts'.
Outside of Auckland or Wellington that may be a problem, but I think there is enough in these centres to keep someone occupied. There are orchestras, ballet and opera companies.

6) Won't miss the pub
Seems to be a major problem for many Brits, again I know North Easterners that would struggle in NZ without this as it forms a backbone to their social life.

7) Or football
as above

8) Or cheap trips abroad
I fly to Melbourne weekly, £160 return. Probably similar for the rest of Oz or the Pacific Islands.

9) Or family and friends
Nothing to do with NZ, same in any country.

10) Or the British sense of humor
NZ probably has the most British like sense of humour. Believe me the Australians or Americans certainly don't.

11) Can handle 'tall poppy syndrome' adeptly
Yes, never bothered me, just rise above it.

12) More of a follower than a leader
Disagree, my experience in Europe has put me well ahead of my peers over here. I'm expected to be a leader.

13) Doesn't care about living in cold housing
Get insulation and ducted heating

14) Has plenty of hobbies to keep them occupied
True of anywhere

15) Has the ability to make new friends easily
True of anywhere

16) Likes the church (always good for building networks)
I dislike religion, I think most Kiwis are not interested in the church

17) If a man, is a 'mans man'.
That died off a long time ago in Auckland, there is more aggro in a typical British high street on a Fri/Sat night

18) Is not a flash harry
Nobody likes a flash harry

19) Does not whinge, moan, or carry on
Kiwis are naturally born moaners just like the Brits

20) Thinks that NZ is paradise on earth
Nothing wrong with being proud

21) Plenty of cash in the bank.
Yes

22) If in higher education appreciates the pedagogue style of teaching
Seems to work, Kiwis are still valued highly overseas, more so than many of their loud mouth ocker counterparts.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be more accurately dubbed "slightly odd poppy syndrome" or "moaning poppy syndrome", or perhaps "telling-us-all-we're-inbred-idiots poppy syndrome"?
I have some negative indicators for the list:
- Thinks shopping is a hobby
- Would go to Orlando for a holiday without having a gun held to their head
- Thinks that watching soccer is a reasonable way to spend time
- Expects to slip into a new lifestyle/country with no pain in less than a couple of years
- Wants manufactured, commercial forms of entertainment everywhere they go
- Wants things exactly as they were at home - eg Tetleys tea, not Bell or Lipson
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

Ok seen this on loads of posts and still don't understand it. What is Tall Poppy Syndrome? Please!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Would it be more accurately dubbed "slightly odd poppy syndrome" or "moaning poppy syndrome", or perhaps "telling-us-all-we're-inbred-idiots poppy syndrome"?
I have some negative indicators for the list:
- Thinks shopping is a hobby
- Would go to Orlando for a holiday without having a gun held to their head
- Thinks that watching soccer is a reasonable way to spend time
- Expects to slip into a new lifestyle/country with no pain in less than a couple of years
- Wants manufactured, commercial forms of entertainment everywhere they go
- Wants things exactly as they were at home - eg Tetleys tea, not Bell or Lipson
hehe

but most of the "noise" on "tall poppy" comes from NZers worried about the brain drain over the Tassie, not ex-Pats, this discussion of it is part of our culture........and is considered more of a problem for Kiwis leaving never to return than for us transients not liking the workplace, we usually knuckle down through necessity and take a crappy job enjoying the "lifestyle" instead.....

I've experienced some of it - when several of my Kiwi colleagues come to me and tell me that is what is going on in *my* work situation then I think I am qualified to at least mention it - that's why I am now leading my own company, working less than a third of the hours, have no Auckland commute and am still better off........so for me it is a good thing in a way, but it hurt at the time........

BTW, I'd go back to New World to check the spelling of some of their goods .......Lipton is a world-wide brand that used to sell more into the UK, but is all over Europe. Most ex-Pats I know who are not Brits and are say Indian, SAs, Europeans also complain heartily about the standard of tea here.....it really is pretty poor.....that's not "exactly as it was" it's more about "acceptable quality", usually the weakness of the bags.........ie cheap cuts, sold at inflated prices.....
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
Ok seen this on loads of posts and still don't understand it. What is Tall Poppy Syndrome? Please!
www.google.co.nz is your friend.....
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:35 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

How about

healthy respect for other cultures
flexibility
friendliness
interested in trying new things
being able to see others point of view
a love of tasty cheese
not judging people by your own standards - maybe you're not always right!
adventurous to a certain extent
fairly easygoing
doesn't feel the need to analyse everything
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:44 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
How about

healthy respect for other cultures
flexibility
friendliness
interested in trying new things
being able to see others point of view
a love of tasty cheese
not judging people by your own standards - maybe you're not always right!
adventurous to a certain extent
fairly easygoing
doesn't feel the need to analyse everything
yep
not sure about the cheese thing though...........
in fact that list seems to be the antithesis of many of the Kiwis who stay in NZ and probably why "they" and "we" do not see eye to eye.......just too similar....???

Come to think of it - this ideal person probably did this, got mowed down as a "tall poppy" and is now working overseas saving for their NZ retirement.......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:47 pm
A land far far away

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep
not sure about the cheese thing though...........
in fact that list seems to be the antithesis of many of the Kiwis who stay in NZ and probably why "they" and "we" do not see eye to eye.......just too similar....???

Come to think of it - this ideal person probably did this, got mowed down as a "tall poppy" and is now working overseas saving for their NZ retirement.......

mmmmm tasty cheese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.