Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is this tree called?

What is this tree called?

Old May 3rd 2006, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is this tree called?

We have a tree in flower at the moment in the garden.... its got huge pink and pure white flowers on it.... what is it please???

When my mum was here she said it was a Handkerchief Tree but I just looked it up on the net and the flowers arnt the same at all..... so I still dont know what it is... anyone here know what its called and is it a native to NZ?...its beautiful.

Heres a pic I literally just took of it..... yeah I know its dark outside.... best I can do.
Attached Thumbnails What is this tree called?-dcp_2013.jpg   What is this tree called?-dcp_2012.jpg  
Old May 4th 2006, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is this tree called?

Originally Posted by SarahB
We have a tree in flower at the moment in the garden.... its got huge pink and pure white flowers on it.... what is it please???

When my mum was here she said it was a Handkerchief Tree but I just looked it up on the net and the flowers arnt the same at all..... so I still dont know what it is... anyone here know what its called and is it a native to NZ?...its beautiful.

Heres a pic I literally just took of it..... yeah I know its dark outside.... best I can do.
Hi Sarah
Based on the appearance of the buds,leaves and flowers my quess is that it is a type of hibiscus..we have quite a few sub tropical varieties in Northland and Auckland as they like the climate.
Shazza
Old May 4th 2006, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
Hi Sarah
Based on the appearance of the buds,leaves and flowers my quess is that it is a type of hibiscus..we have quite a few sub tropical varieties in Northland and Auckland as they like the climate.
Shazza

To add to that.. I think (after my search based on your picture)it may be called Hibiscus mutabilus which actually originates in China ..check out this link http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/05686.html
Shazza
Old May 4th 2006, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

cool.... thanks Shazza...

Heres a pic I took of it this morning... most of the year its just a load of twigs but at the moment its looking lovely.... I love the two different colours of flowers on the same tree.
Attached Thumbnails What is this tree called?-dcp_2015.jpg   What is this tree called?-dcp_2016.jpg  
Old May 4th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
To add to that.. I think (after my search based on your picture)it may be called Hibiscus mutabilus which actually originates in China ..check out this link http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/05686.html
Shazza
Thanks.... it looks just like that!! Cool.... now I know what it is...thanks so much!! I even asked my landlord this morning as he was round to fix our broken water tank but he had no idea. Will have to let my mum know as she loved it too... Cheers!!
Old May 4th 2006, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

cool.... thanks Shazza...

Heres a pic I took of it this morning... most of the year its just a load of twigs but at the moment its looking lovely.... I love the two different colours of flowers on the same tree.
Hi Sarah ..whoops I messed up my edit..that link for the picture is actually..http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/05686.html
I could be wrong as yours seems a lot more spindly a tree, but they do get very leggy if someone doesnt prune off at least a third after the flowering season each year,which may well happen in a rental property?
bye
Old May 4th 2006, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What is this tree called?

Thanks.... it looks just like that!! Cool.... now I know what it is...thanks so much!! I even asked my landlord this morning as he was round to fix our broken water tank but he had no idea. Will have to let my mum know as she loved it too... Cheers!!
Glad that link worked regardless..its beautiful isnt it!!
Old May 4th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Sure is!! Will have to dig it up and take it with me when we eventually buy our own house here....
Old May 4th 2006, 7:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Weeds
Old May 4th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Nice Hibiscus tree. I worked in the Bahamas and loved the hedges of hibiscus. Here they are indoor only plants except in summer when you put them on the patio.
Old May 4th 2006, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What is this tree called?

Sure is!! Will have to dig it up and take it with me when we eventually buy our own house here....
I havent had much luck with my hibiscus.. but you might be able to get a cutting to strike. then you can take a litte tree with you to plant .ask a garden centre how to do it right for hibiscus
Old May 5th 2006, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

anyone here know what its called?

Errrrrr - Nigel??

(saw this on the main page and couldn't resist Beautiful flowers!)
Old May 5th 2006, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calgal
Errrrrr - Nigel??

(saw this on the main page and couldn't resist Beautiful flowers!)

lol.... its way too pretty to be called Nigel!
Old May 5th 2006, 7:13 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I love those.
Does anyone know if you can grow frangipani in the North Island?
PS Sarah, I'm going to Waihi Beach with the horses tomorrow. 2 hrs of fun in the (sun????) Oh well, it'll still be fun!
Old May 5th 2006, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I love those.
Does anyone know if you can grow frangipani in the North Island?
PS Sarah, I'm going to Waihi Beach with the horses tomorrow. 2 hrs of fun in the (sun????) Oh well, it'll still be fun!
Excellent.... Waihi is so nice.... lucky you!! The weather forecast is not too bad for tomorrow and better for sunday.

I'm riding tomorrow hopefully.... first time in 3 weeks.... hope he doesnt buck me off with the excitement of finally getting out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.