Reload this Page >

What Travel insurance?

What Travel insurance?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Kernowman will become famous soon enough
Default What Travel insurance?

Hi

I'm flying out to New Zealand on a working holiday visa at the end of next month and i'm not sure about the travel insurance.

Does NZ have an NHS type set up or is it all private?

Can anyone recommend a good company to use. The trouble I'm having is finding out exactly what the policy covers you for in medical terms. The last thing I want is to have an accident, break my my leg and have to pay thousands to fix it.

I would be grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:46 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Travel insurance?

Originally Posted by Kernowman
Hi

I'm flying out to New Zealand on a working holiday visa at the end of next month and i'm not sure about the travel insurance.

Does NZ have an NHS type set up or is it all private?

Can anyone recommend a good company to use. The trouble I'm having is finding out exactly what the policy covers you for in medical terms. The last thing I want is to have an accident, break my my leg and have to pay thousands to fix it.

I would be grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks

I googled 'Backpacker Travel Insurance' and came up with this one

http://insurance.essentialtravel.co....-insurance.asp

But lots more on there besides.

Worth getting the best cover that you can afford. If the worst was to happen, the cost of repatriation back to the UK would be 'scary' to say the least
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Travel insurance?

NZ health is a wee bit different
And more so on a temp visa I believe
Going to the GP is a user pays affair but it's not too expensive

As a visitor you would be covered for accidental injury by ACC. So if you break your leg you'll get treated

But travel insurance is highly recommended, what if you get sick, stranded etc.
My dear friend got super sick in the states (coma etc) thankfully the cute girl in the travel agents sold him insurance as he didn't usually bother. The cost was hundreds of thousands

the reciprocal arrangement for UK residents is outlined here