British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What is the top 3 most wanted items from uk? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-top-3-most-wanted-items-uk-478426/)

andy480 Sep 1st 2007 11:34 pm

What is the top 3 most wanted items from uk?

As in title, what do ex-pats ask for,request from vistors/familys/bring back from Uk?

Just wondering as I enjoy marmite on toast (tryed vegimite once.. never again!) and if i decide to move would like to give a list to my kids and family :D

jaybirdjan Sep 2nd 2007 12:17 am

Re: What is the top 3 most wanted items from uk?

Originally Posted by andy480 (Post 5261963)
As in title, what do ex-pats ask for,request from vistors/familys/bring back from Uk?

Just wondering as I enjoy marmite on toast (tryed vegimite once.. never again!) and if i decide to move would like to give a list to my kids and family :D

Hi

Upto now been here 2 wks and I would say walkers crisps & sausages:rofl:

Jan

Gill and Rob Sep 2nd 2007 2:45 am

Bisto Gravy Granules, Greggs cheese and onion pasties and fresh diced turkey from ASDA.

Gill

SarahB Sep 2nd 2007 4:12 am

Galaxy chocolate........ Galaxy chocolate and maybe some Galaxy Chocolate?!:D

But really if people offer to send or bring stuff I usually say De-Caff Teabags, Birds Instant Custard Powder and Angel Delight..... easy to please me! ;)

Gill and Rob Sep 2nd 2007 4:52 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 5262432)

But really if people offer to send or bring stuff I usually say De-Caff Teabags, Birds Instant Custard Powder and Angel Delight..... easy to please me! ;)

After 4 years I'm starting to actually like Edmonds Custard powder....... how sad is that ?

Gill

Andrew Cross Sep 2nd 2007 5:30 am

A bottle of Irn Bru, a massive bar of Galaxy chocolate and some Walkers Bacon crisps...:)

garryhg Sep 2nd 2007 5:51 am

just been to pakaranga,bramtins british shop,bought custard powder(birds) angel delight and bisto gravy granuals,paid a bit more for them,but was worth it...we had real gravy for our dinner,

and garry is sitting tucking into steam pudding and custard as we speak...:thumbsup:

zoej Sep 2nd 2007 7:29 am

I know you can get tiny bottles of some of the following in the UK shop at very high prices but....

I miss

Vimto, my son votes for -Marmite and Birds eye Cod fish fingers!

nero Sep 2nd 2007 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jaybirdjan (Post 5262028)
Hi

Upto now been here 2 wks and I would say walkers crisps & sausages:rofl:

Jan

The Patriot (Pub) in Devonport, Auckland sells Walker Crisps, great with a pint :thumbsup:

mickey_d Sep 2nd 2007 8:20 am

Originally Posted by zoej (Post 5262746)
I know you can get tiny bottles of some of the following in the UK shop at very high prices but....

I miss

You can get Marmite here, but it is called Our Mate:thumbup:

zoej Sep 2nd 2007 8:46 am

yeh I know, but in such small and expensive bottles - It was my sons 7th birthday on Friday - both sets of grandparents sent large jars of Marmite for him. Such a simple thing but he was soo chuffe:thumbsup:d!

luvwelly Sep 2nd 2007 8:59 am

In Wellington you seem to be able to get most UK stuff.....New World even has Lancashire cheese all the way from Lancashire and Weetbix tastes just like Weetabix but looks very different. You can even get Thornton's chocolates in some shops, which only became available in the South of England recently; and Cadbury's have a factory here....it's so weird you come so far across the world and it's more like the UK than all of Continental Europe put together.....but vive la difference!

luvwelly Sep 2nd 2007 9:01 am

Originally Posted by zoej (Post 5262746)

I miss

Yes Vimto...hard to get outside the UK.....used to drive past their factory in Atherton (I think) as a child en route to my Grandma's. Fab cordial..not too sweet.

lardyl Sep 2nd 2007 9:24 am

PakNSave Sylvia Park, International Food Aisle, always get a dozen or so bars when passing!!!

SarahB Sep 2nd 2007 9:28 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5262996)
Yes Vimto...hard to get outside the UK.....used to drive past their factory in Atherton (I think) as a child en route to my Grandma's. Fab cordial..not too sweet.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!! I used to love that stuff!!:D

We had sherbet dip dabs today.:)