Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is there for a 6 year old and 16 year old to do?

What is there for a 6 year old and 16 year old to do?

Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default What is there for a 6 year old and 16 year old to do?

Hi

I'm trying to find out what there is for for 6 and 16 year old girls to do in NZ?

Not trying to sound stuip, but I kinow from experience that every country is different in some respects with what is on offer for children. I have one very academic child and one who loves the outdoors and would be outside at 6am every morning, rain, hail shine or even snow (hope those who have snow are enjoying it!) in the garden playing (she's 3 at the moment so would be coming up 6 by the time we emigrate). Is it safer also for kids to play out than it is in the UK? I get sick to the back teeth of hoodies, kids hanging around on street corners with foul language and smoking and drinking here and I'm hoping that it won't be as bad in NZ than it is here in the UK at the moment.

Well if they are stupid questions I apologise but hey if you don't ask you will never know!!

Thanks
Tracy
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is there for a 6 year old and 16 year old to do?

Originally Posted by Tracy24
Is it safer also for kids to play out than it is in the UK? I get sick to the back teeth of hoodies, kids hanging around on street corners with foul language and smoking and drinking here and I'm hoping that it won't be as bad in NZ than it is here in the UK at the moment.
Tracy
Yes probably especially if you can afford to live in a 'nice' area but then the other factor to whether your kids can play outside unsupervised is traffic....so bear this is mind when you choose your property...also probably easier here to get a large garden.

I live centrally in Wellington but even in the more outlying areas up the Kapiti coast, most of the usual kids activities are available...swimming pools, ten-pinbowling, indoor play centres, playgrounds and all manner of sports activities for all ages (definitely the main NZ hobby). Access to theatre would be limited in some smaller towns but most reasonably sized towns would have a cinema. TBH the only thing missing is fairgrounds/theme parks and the like - the only one in the whole country seems to be Rainbows End in Auckland. Here in Wellington, circuses visit town and there are also lots of visiting exhibitions.

The plusses your kids would potentially have is year round access to beaches and gorgeous scenery and a slower pace of life...what does the academic 16 year old like to do when not inside reading/working? I suppose given her age...moving her could be awkward because of career/further education opportunities???? Remember many academic Kiwis leave NZ for Europe straight after University. You need to think about the best timing here.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:38 am
Just Joined

3kidz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have a 6 year old and he spends his whole life playing outside. He has just started playing rugby and has a match every sat morning and he loves it. Girls play in the team too. He is also into BMX and we take him to a local track nearly every weekend. I can remember having a BMX track back in the UK as a child, it now has a large housing estate on it!!! If you have a child who enjoys the great outdoors and sports of any kind, there will be plenty to do in NZ.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracy24
Hi

I'm trying to find out what there is for for 6 and 16 year old girls to do in NZ?

Not trying to sound stuip, but I kinow from experience that every country is different in some respects with what is on offer for children. I have one very academic child and one who loves the outdoors and would be outside at 6am every morning, rain, hail shine or even snow (hope those who have snow are enjoying it!) in the garden playing (she's 3 at the moment so would be coming up 6 by the time we emigrate). Is it safer also for kids to play out than it is in the UK? I get sick to the back teeth of hoodies, kids hanging around on street corners with foul language and smoking and drinking here and I'm hoping that it won't be as bad in NZ than it is here in the UK at the moment.

Well if they are stupid questions I apologise but hey if you don't ask you will never know!!

Thanks
Tracy
Hi Tracy,

We have 5 and 15 year old girls (with a girl & a boy in between ... ) and I would say it will very much depend on where you are looking at settling and what each individual child enjoys.

Our 15 (nearly 16) year old loves being free to hop on and off buses (will have her own car for 16th ) from home in to town or to the shopping mall, can also walk to shopping mall, shopping is a huge part of her life! Has been known to surf occasionally, although I think is more inclined to sit on beach with surf board just for effect. Goes to the cinema, friends' houses, "hangs out" but not getting in to trouble as far as I know!

5 year old plays out in the street, we live in a quiet cul de sac, well it was quiet until we moved in! She's always on her bike or in and out of friends' houses, they play on their scooters, roller blades, play basketball, rugby etc. We also have a reserve at the end of the street where they build dens etc. She also swims once a week and goes to the beach with us and the dogs.

The 13 year old is probably the most sporty and had she now just got her leg out of plaster, was enjoying netball, basketball, soccer and golf. Also the shopping, visiting friends etc.

They are all outside way more than they were in the UK. See more of friends and have heaps more freedom than there.

Hope this helps.