Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to take to NZ?

What to take to NZ?

Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:17 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take to NZ?

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
When was that? My parents bought one in having owned it for 3 weeks in 2015, customs tried to talk about import tax but my folks showed them the relative pages on their website - if you dont need a receipt / proof of ownership for your sofa or food processor then you don't need one for a caravan surely.
That surprised me as a caravan is a registered vehicle I'd have thought, key thing is it isn't a motorised vehicle I suppose...I certainly had my sailing dinghy treated as a vessel when I brought it in in 2010 - had to show it was valued under $500 IIRC so no duty payable.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kotare
Wow - what did you have to alter on the gas side other than a regulator and pigtail?
As far as I know we didn't have to change anything. It was oh that dealt with all that so don't know the ins and outs of it.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

This is a great thread. We were wondering if it was worth taking white goods to NZ and from the responses we should definitely consider it.

Surely the packing company would pack them into boxes anyway so regardless of whether they are in manufacturer boxes or not they will be in some kind of box?

We are just starting our journey for relocating to NZ. The thought of culling the hoard of things we have in a 4 bed house is making me faint.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

We bought new washing machine, condenser dryer and all kitchen appliances before we came out in may 16. Look on harvey Norman, noel Leeming or 100% appliances and way up the cost of replacements... although ours were years old so was a no brainer for us!
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsCakey
This is a great thread. We were wondering if it was worth taking white goods to NZ and from the responses we should definitely consider it.
I think the only thing to consider would be service and parts, if you already have them and have the space in a container then a no-brainer - but specifically purchasing them prior to moving then I'm not sure. Especially European brands which can take months to get parts for.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

Thanks @valleygurl that's pretty much confirmed our plans. Shopping spree, here I come!
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71
I think the only thing to consider would be service and parts, if you already have them and have the space in a container then a no-brainer - but specifically purchasing them prior to moving then I'm not sure. Especially European brands which can take months to get parts for.
That's a very valid point, thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsCakey

Surely the packing company would pack them into boxes anyway so regardless of whether they are in manufacturer boxes or not they will be in some kind of box?

We are just starting our journey for relocating to NZ. The thought of culling the hoard of things we have in a 4 bed house is making me faint.
Yes they will and do. However if you do have the original packaging, use it. It was created especially for that particular item to be transported all over the place without damage. If you don't have the boxes don't worry about it. You have enough to stress over without finding extra stuff.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
... If you don't have the boxes don't worry about it. You have enough to stress over without finding extra stuff.
Thank you, you're absolutely right. I'll move onto the next thing to stress over 😕