Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to take to NZ?

What to take to NZ?

Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take to NZ?

Originally Posted by Samsalter

Really, I want to know of any specific items that you personally regret not bringing with you?

Thanks
Believe it or not we really regretted not bringing our cement mixer and a lathe. However the lathe was massive and we've have upgraded to a 40' container so it would have been dumb. We could have fitted the mixer in but we gave it away. Three months after arriving we had to go out and buy one. Husband was very grumpy. Everything else we owned in the UK we bought with us.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thing that comes to mind is shoes and work clothes.
Should I buy myself some new shoes and pack them in my suitcase?
or is the price similar in NZ and not worth the hassle?
If you like nice clothes and shoes then yes go for it; shoes here are broadly in two categories either real cheap and nasty plastic things or mega-bucks expensive:

Cheap as chips:

https://www.numberoneshoes.co.nz/?gc...As2BoCQa_w_wcB

Middle of the road semi-decent leather shoes are $100 to $150 here:

https://www.hannahs.co.nz/

And super expensive $200 or more here:

https://zierashoes.com/nz/?gclid=Cjw...eA6BoCxsvw_wcB

https://www.merchant1948.co.nz/women

https://www.mipiaci.co.nz/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 15th 2017 at 10:10 am.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Samsalter is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, looks as though the prices are not that different to me.
I found a few nice pairs for a good price on those websites.

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 15th 2017, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Also I appreciate your comments regarding things being more expensive in NZ, and to ship over everything.
but I have checked some baby furniture and the price seems similar to UK, so not everything is expensive out there.(note, I cant tell if quality is different from the internet)

Really, I want to know of any specific items that you personally regret not bringing with you?

Thanks
I think you'll be fine with a PS4 etc still in its box. If the box was sealed and looked brand new, maybe they may ask for a receipt and charge you duty, but I highly doubt they would anyway. As a new immigrant I think they are quite a bit more lenient anyway. If you had five PS4's they may want to look further into it!

As regards things being more expensive, I can't think of any smallish things that are over-priced. It's white goods that I found were ridiculously expensive when I arrived 7 months ago.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
I think you'll be fine with a PS4 etc still in its box. If the box was sealed and looked brand new, maybe they may ask for a receipt and charge you duty, but I highly doubt they would anyway. As a new immigrant I think they are quite a bit more lenient anyway. If you had five PS4's they may want to look further into it!

As regards things being more expensive, I can't think of any smallish things that are over-priced. It's white goods that I found were ridiculously expensive when I arrived 7 months ago.
Oh and bring a caravan if you have one! Especially if you've owned it for a year or more in UK!
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Caravan is household chattles no need to have owned it 12mths just have to be able to say you've used it personally.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
Caravan is household chattles no need to have owned it 12mths just have to be able to say you've used it personally.
That wasn't the case when we brought one. Duty is charged if you haven't owned and used it in UK for year preceding immigration.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

That wasn't the case when we brought one. Duty is charged if you haven't owned and used it in UK for year preceding immigration.
When was that? My parents bought one in having owned it for 3 weeks in 2015, customs tried to talk about import tax but my folks showed them the relative pages on their website - if you dont need a receipt / proof of ownership for your sofa or food processor then you don't need one for a caravan surely.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
When was that? My parents bought one in having owned it for 3 weeks in 2015, customs tried to talk about import tax but my folks showed them the relative pages on their website - if you dont need a receipt / proof of ownership for your sofa or food processor then you don't need one for a caravan surely.
Lucky them! We brought ours in 5 months ago.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently in the UK in September last year, I really don't think there is much that is cheaper there apart from clothes and furniture (depends on tastes too). There is a better selection of stuff. Electronics certainly aren't cheaper, unless it's hifi stuff.

I don't bother with clothes in NZ, just order online or do a trip to the USA and the outlet malls every couple of years.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

We bought loads new before we came over! Bedroom furniture, electrical appliances and clothes in the sale for the next season. Just remove everything from the boxes.just take a look at the NZ furniture/electrical websites for a comparison on how much it will cost to replace once you get here.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We kept new electrical stuff in their original packaging. If asked, and we weren't (we're in Aus but our Customs are pretty anal) we were just going to say the best packaging was the manufacturers. As long as you don't have 20 tvs or Dysons, they really aren't that interested in the paperwork involved in taxing you for one or two things that are obviously personal belongings. In my experience anyway.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky them! We brought ours in 5 months ago.
Hi

Got one in a container at the moment. id you have any problems with an electrical WOF and/or Gas cert?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
Hi

Got one in a container at the moment. id you have any problems with an electrical WOF and/or Gas cert?
No problems with either, no. But gas certificate is expensive! $250, and electrical wof was $150.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

No problems with either, no. But gas certificate is expensive! $250, and electrical wof was $150.
Wow - what did you have to alter on the gas side other than a regulator and pigtail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.