Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what to take with me to nz when we move

what to take with me to nz when we move

Old Sep 25th 2015, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

AndyWatson1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what to take with me to nz when we move

Some really interesting comments here, we are already looking at the container package and what we should and shouldn't take. The only electrical items we well take are:-

XBOX 1
Hand Blender
Food Processor
Printer
Blu Ray Player

We are considering in buying furniture over here and taking what we already have.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

allyokay is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh! I read somewhere that there was a glitch with the cartridges of UK printers in NZ. Basically someone bought new cartridges in NZ for their HP (I think) printer but couldn't get them to work. Fortunately their printer was still under warrantee so they got a new printer. You could always stock up on ink to take to NZ. We're taking ours but will probably bin it and buy a new one when the ink runs out.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 11:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I think you misinterpret what i said about soap powder, it may appear a little thing but i personally prefer my white clothes and homewares to be white and not grey.
Persil 'active clean' is a bio powder. It is not labelled as such but if you read the ingredients, it is. They don't tend to use the bio/non-bio distinction here. I buy the big 90-wash boxes when I see them on offer in either Warehouse, Countdown or Mitre Ten cos then they cost $20. My whites are as white as a white thing from White Land - not a hint of grey. I only use it for white and light coloured washes and heavy soiled washes (bloody sporty types in this house) as I don't feel that most clothing warrants a bio powder.

HTH
Old Sep 26th 2015, 6:02 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Persil 'active clean' is a bio powder. It is not labelled as such but if you read the ingredients, it is. They don't tend to use the bio/non-bio distinction here. I buy the big 90-wash boxes when I see them on offer in either Warehouse, Countdown or Mitre Ten cos then they cost $20. My whites are as white as a white thing from White Land - not a hint of grey. I only use it for white and light coloured washes and heavy soiled washes (bloody sporty types in this house) as I don't feel that most clothing warrants a bio powder.

HTH
Aha - didn't know that but willlook for it thank you
Old Sep 27th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

Ever thought of a few getting together and bringing a container between them. Obviously not all new stuff with tags on as then you would be hit with import?!

Just an idea!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:24 am
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever thought of not bringing anything except the essentials? Leave it all in storage until you're sure you're staying. I can't believe people are still shipping their stuff half way round the world to NZ, so many of them will leave after a few years anyway

Most of them end up here eventually
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid advice and completely untrue, most people who come here stay, a few retards go to Oz as it suits them more
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

And some of them spend hours on this forum.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:26 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
I can't believe people are still shipping their stuff half way round the world to NZ, so many of them will leave after a few years anyway

For someone who doesn't have a lot of time for NZ you seem to spend a fair bit of time in the NZ forum...
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:00 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
And some of them spend hours on this forum.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:44 pm
Loves Australia

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Stupid advice and completely untrue, most people who come here stay, a few retards go to Oz as it suits them more
I think people come here because its so much more friendly. Great weather and a healthy bank balance helps too
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
Ever thought of not bringing anything except the essentials? Leave it all in storage until you're sure you're staying. I can't believe people are still shipping their stuff half way round the world to NZ, so many of them will leave after a few years anyway

Yea I don't intent to bring anything other than a suitcase and my laptop! That being said I with wanting to buy a house after a few months and with what people have said about prices I may want to ship my furniture simply because of the cost! Luckily for me I have my own container that I bought to store it all in but it's not full!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that Aceofspades has said that might be useful is the possibility of not transferring all your worldly goods over until you are sure that you would be staying as its costly to transfer over and back again if that is the outcome.

But please now back on topic for the OP
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on though, tomorrow is the start of the BIGGEST EVENT of the year. Go on the Harvey Norman website tomorrow and see the HUGE HUGE HUGE sales on. Aka 10% off everything storewide! Never know, you may pick up a bargain. They'll hold it for you until you arrive - actually the time it'll take for the purchase to be shipped over (in the highly likely event it's not in stock), you'll have been here for 3 months
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:25 am
Loves Australia

For the larger ticket items you can usually haggle for far more than a 10% discount, never pay full price at places like Harvey Normans. I bought a phone in (an Aussie) Harvey Norman store priced at $400 with a $60 discount --- just for asking. Never buy in a sale either, all that does is remove your haggling power (you'll not get a discount on a sale item unless you can find it elsewhere for less) .