Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is a Steiner school?

What is a Steiner school?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:19 am
Just Joined

mike&chrissy is on a distinguished road
Default What is a Steiner school?

Can someone please explain to me what a Steiner school is. I've seen it mentioned a few times on this forum.
I have a 3 and a half year old daughter and want the best possible education for her.
We are still waiting on an outcome for hubby's job application in Auckland. But at the same time are checking everything out for a possible move.
Education is very important and have heard that the education system in N.Z. is of the highest caliber.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Chrissy
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a Steiner school?

Originally Posted by mike&chrissy
Can someone please explain to me what a Steiner school is. I've seen it mentioned a few times on this forum.
I have a 3 and a half year old daughter and want the best possible education for her.
We are still waiting on an outcome for hubby's job application in Auckland. But at the same time are checking everything out for a possible move.
Education is very important and have heard that the education system in N.Z. is of the highest caliber.
Thanks
Chrissy
Hi there,
My niece and nephews go to the Steiner school in Wellington. It is an alternative educational system. The kids are taught to respect each other and have respect for their environment. They do not take any exams and only loosely follow the national educational curriculum. If your child loves doing lots and lots of art work, pottery and gardening it's great. My only concern would be that as no formal exams are taken you are somewhat limiting your child's University options.
My niece wants to do fine art so that is ok for her but if she had wanted to do medicine she would not stand a chance.
They are though very nice, well manned and balanced kids.
KAZ
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Hi Chrissy,

Ditto what Kaz said!

Our 2 year old daughter goes to a Steiner toddler group here in the UK and when we emigrate later this year to NZ hope she will be able to attend a Steiner kindergarten too.

The schools are based around the philosophies of Rudolf Steiner who you can I'm sure research on the net quite easily. I have been to the open days of the Wynstone Steiner school in Gloucester and was surprised at how happy the kids seemed to be to be involved in the open day, not like they were there under sufferance! A pleasant surprise!

I think generally the idea is that the children are allowed to develop their own individual identities and abilities without being pushed into neat little boxes that the mainstream educational system would like to do. This environment allows them to explore their interests and find out what they are about and want to be, without the pressure to "conform" shall we say. The toddlers & kindy ages are allowed alot of time to just "play" and their toys will more often than not be of natural materials, i.e. wood, wool etc. Dolls for example would tend NOT to have facial features sown on so as to allow the kids the freedom to express moods or whatever without the imposed fake smile of a doll's face. Songs and storytime will often have links to the earth, seasons, horticulture and such like.

The area I live in, Stroud, is very alternative and I have alot of friends who have had children of various ages in the Steiner schools. The kids do seem very well rounded, well mannered and positive in their outlook.

I don't know about in NZ but in the UK some Steiner schools will try to prescribe rules about no TV, no brand name logos on clothing and such, but I don't have exposure to that situation & its not my cup of tea!!

Hope that helps a bit!
Dave

Last edited by Paladin; Feb 22nd 2006 at 3:34 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

This link might be helpful for you!

http://www.ch.steiner.school.nz/dire...mes/nzrss.html

I had a quick flick through the listings and several of the school websites have good background info on the whole Rudolf Steiner educational philosophy so I guess trawl through them & see what you think. Here's one example; click on "Education" & "curriculum" and you'll get some good info:

http://www.titirangi.steiner.school.nz/

Dave

Last edited by Paladin; Feb 22nd 2006 at 3:46 pm. Reason: add'l info
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:40 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Chrissy
Hi Chrissy,

In addition to what others have already replied, I just wanted to add that the Steiner philosophy and hence education is not specific to NZ. It is an international movement. Many of the schools were set up by parents as an alternative to more mainstream education. There are several in the UK too.

I researched it and have friends in Steiner schools. It aims to educate the whole child - ie spiritual, mental etc. and is based on the fact that children develop through certain phases. Children often have one teacher throughout their whole time at a school or primary school etc so form a deep bond and trust with this person (hopefully they don't clash!)

My concerns and hence reason why we did not choose it for our children is that we have quite academic children (well as much as they can be at 5 & 4) - ie they wanted to read and write at around 3 which does not fit with the Steiner approach which doesn't start such formal education until they are 6 or 7. I could not imagine having a 6/7 year old that couldn't read - nothing to do with pushing them into it or anything, but I firmly believe in encouraging children to learn what they want to. I guess some may say they are a product of their environment - ie our home, who knows. Also, I would only have chosen it for primary education for the reasons Kaz has pointed out, ie how could one go to university if they wished with no academic qualifications.

One last thing which may help you decide - people choosing a Steiner education would not be what I would call mainstream followers. They are quite earthy. I have a close friend who chose it for her children. Her home is a very natural holistic calm environment. The children have never EVER had any plastic toys, watched tv or eaten any sugar whatsoever just as simple examples. They sing as they do chores, never raise their voices, recycle everything etc etc. They are great and when I think about our decision in sending our daughter to a very academic mainstream school where she is completely ignored since she is bright and well behaved, I do sometimes wonder if we made the right choice. Time will tell.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Chrissy,

In addition to what others have already replied, I just wanted to add that the Steiner philosophy and hence education is not specific to NZ. It is an international movement. Many of the schools were set up by parents as an alternative to more mainstream education. There are several in the UK too.

I researched it and have friends in Steiner schools. It aims to educate the whole child - ie spiritual, mental etc. and is based on the fact that children develop through certain phases. Children often have one teacher throughout their whole time at a school or primary school etc so form a deep bond and trust with this person (hopefully they don't clash!)

My concerns and hence reason why we did not choose it for our children is that we have quite academic children (well as much as they can be at 5 & 4) - ie they wanted to read and write at around 3 which does not fit with the Steiner approach which doesn't start such formal education until they are 6 or 7. I could not imagine having a 6/7 year old that couldn't read - nothing to do with pushing them into it or anything, but I firmly believe in encouraging children to learn what they want to. I guess some may say they are a product of their environment - ie our home, who knows. Also, I would only have chosen it for primary education for the reasons Kaz has pointed out, ie how could one go to university if they wished with no academic qualifications.

One last thing which may help you decide - people choosing a Steiner education would not be what I would call mainstream followers. They are quite earthy. I have a close friend who chose it for her children. Her home is a very natural holistic calm environment. The children have never EVER had any plastic toys, watched tv or eaten any sugar whatsoever just as simple examples. They sing as they do chores, never raise their voices, recycle everything etc etc. They are great and when I think about our decision in sending our daughter to a very academic mainstream school where she is completely ignored since she is bright and well behaved, I do sometimes wonder if we made the right choice. Time will tell.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your advice. The whole approach seems wonderful. I am quite a spiritual person myself and it all sounds like my kind of "thing". But, my wee Lucy is very bright and at three years old can already say the alphabet and write her name. She too is academic and wants to learn. Quite often she comes to me and says "mummy, I want to write". Maybe mainstream school is the answer.
Do the Steiner schools take adults........??
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Do the Steiner schools take adults........?? [/QUOTE]

I would like to work for a Steiner Company, no reports due, just brainstorm and get to know each other. sounds like my kinda office.

maybe i'll start a steiner revolution in my office here......

Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:02 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advice. The whole approach seems wonderful. I am quite a spiritual person myself and it all sounds like my kind of "thing". But, my wee Lucy is very bright and at three years old can already say the alphabet and write her name. She too is academic and wants to learn. Quite often she comes to me and says "mummy, I want to write". Maybe mainstream school is the answer.
This sounds very familiar, OH & I are bright in the academic achieving sense but would love a very nuturing and caring school environment for our children which I haven't found in the top performing mainstream schools. Surely it can't be that difficult to have both! Although it does appear so from my experience, limited as this will be from a national basis admittedly.

Anyhow, my girls sounds very like Lucy and as you know, we have chosen mainstream schooling. My eldest was reading at 3, interestingly my youngest took what I call 'the writing approach' first which sounds like Lucy. She can now write quite well (she's 4 now but still pre-school), including some joined up writing (her name) which she is very proud of. (It's not really that great, but lovely to see her proudness!)

Do wonder what the difference would be had we opted for Steiner or similar, but the kids I know who go to Steiner schools (it's only a few I know) are not academically bright, so I don't know how good they would be for the girls. They are very happy to play all the time which my children just aren't. I would ask them (the school) about this though when you visit as I would imagine they cater for such differences, although I know streaming is not supported at all which I do struggle with as it does not benefit children outside of the middle of 'the bell curve' from an academic sense. I know it has other advantages such as building confidence/self-esteem in the brighter ones helping the less able and vice versa in children sometimes being the best helpers to other children. Hence my support of a mixture, which is exactly what my daughter has. I had nowhere near the right idea about how vast the ability differences could be in 4 and 5 year olds, plus maturity etc until my daughter started school. And of course this is just one school, reportedly in the top 5% nationally.

Sorry to waffle on. I'm going to make my morning coffee now and do what I'm meant to be doing!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Feb 24th 2006 at 9:04 am.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default One pint or two?

Don’t mean to be flippant, but isn’t Steiner a type of malt lager that is very popular in NZ?

Don’t like it myself, a little bit too malty for my aging taste buds………….
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whoops.........

My apologies, I may have misled you there, a Stiener may be a euphemism for a Steinlager, a type of malt lager.

I still don't find them palatable.........
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newkiwi

I would like to work for a Steiner Company, no reports due, just brainstorm and get to know each other. sounds like my kinda office.

maybe i'll start a steiner revolution in my office here......

[/QUOTE]

I feel an idea coming on here. .........!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Whoops.........

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
My apologies, I may have misled you there, a Stiener may be a euphemism for a Steinlager, a type of malt lager.

I still don't find them palatable.........

Isn't it about time you arrived in Oz?????

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:15 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I'd considered a Steiner education when I had my first child (she's now 15) but the travel would have been a nightmare. She's quite an academic child now (as are my husband and I) and I think that the state school environment is better for her and I too have concerns about getting on without formal qualifications. I got a lot of criticism from my brown rice eating associates but my kids aren't an experiment they're human beings. Off my soapbox now, Steiner suits some kids (like the no TV, no plastic toy etc. household mentioned earlier) but I don't know if I could be that committed.

Phyllis
Old Feb 25th 2006, 8:53 am

[QUOTE=80s Chick]Steiner suits some kids ... but I don't know if I could be that committed./QUOTE]

I think that sums it up for me in a nutshell. Love the Steiner philosophy and school environments even more so, but honestly didn't think it was right for my children or us as a family.

Hope you are well Phyllis. Busy rehearsing?

Hubbie has just taken the kids out for a couple of hours. House looks like a bombshell but is blissfully silent. He wished me a 'productive morning' upon departure - yes I will productively read a magazine and drink another coffee! These occasions are so rare afterall.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hubbie has just taken the kids out for a couple of hours. House looks like a bombshell but is blissfully silent. He wished me a 'productive morning' upon departure - yes I will productively read a magazine and drink another coffee! These occasions are so rare afterall. [/QUOTE]

I like your style, enjoy the peace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.