British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What small car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-small-car-737856/)

Bo-Jangles Nov 4th 2011 11:02 am

What small car?

Am looking around, thinking about trading in the current jalopy for a new(er) car and looking for some ideas or recommendations.

In my dreams I would like a Mini Cooper but...sigh...unless I win the Lotto....prices are super scary!! Next on the dream list I had my eye on the Suzuki SX4 but thinking a tad too big (2.0L) and juicier than I would like. I would prefer not to be spending more than I already do on petrol.

I am presently umming and harring around the low-rent end of the market and not been very inspired; Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, or something else?

It seems the Suzuki Swift is the most popular car on the road at the moment and that's putting me off quite a bit; I'm thinking I could go for the slightly cooler sportier model. I liked the Nissan Tiida when I first saw one, but seems like it might be something more your mother might drive. :p

I had a Peugeot 206 with all the bells and whistles before and really liked that, but don't want another and would worry about anything European for ongoing cost purposes.

So anyone got a cute little hot hatch / shopping cart that they would recommend?

Justcol Nov 4th 2011 7:06 pm

Re: What small car?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9714395)
and would worry about anything European for ongoing cost purposes.

Have a friend who's a mechanic, he says VW parts are cheaper than most Jap parts.

as for the choice of car all i know is our kid has swift sporty model and he loves it, says its a fantastic car

Bo-Jangles Nov 4th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9715190)
Have a friend who's a mechanic, he says VW parts are cheaper than most Jap parts.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I would consider a Golf but had ruled it out as a no go due to concerns about the cost of upkeep

Moliknickers Nov 4th 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9714395)
Am looking around, thinking about trading in the current jalopy for a new(er) car and looking for some ideas or recommendations.

In my dreams I would like a Mini Cooper but...sigh...unless I win the Lotto....prices are super scary!! Next on the dream list I had my eye on the Suzuki SX4 but thinking a tad too big (2.0L) and juicier than I would like. I would prefer not to be spending more than I already do on petrol.

I am presently umming and harring around the low-rent end of the market and not been very inspired; Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, or something else?

It seems the Suzuki Swift is the most popular car on the road at the moment and that's putting me off quite a bit; I'm thinking I could go for the slightly cooler sportier model. I liked the Nissan Tiida when I first saw one, but seems like it might be something more your mother might drive. :p

I had a Peugeot 206 with all the bells and whistles before and really liked that, but don't want another and would worry about anything European for ongoing cost purposes.

So anyone got a cute little hot hatch / shopping cart that they would recommend?

I had a Suzuki Swift when living in Auckland City fantastic little car IMO! Cheap to buy,run and insure! Easy to park too.:)

Bo-Jangles Nov 4th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Moliknickers (Post 9715326)
Easy to park too.:)

A most important consideration indeed!! Being of the spatially challenged gender, I can't be doing with reverse parking small buses into some of these weeny parking spaces.

I get annoyed with cars that are way too big for the designated spaces; they generally don't care though and feel it's okay to invade 'my space' and block my doors. Some of those big UTES and 4x4s overhang the front, back and sides of the space; add in a tow bar and they're a blooming hazard.

jmh Nov 4th 2011 9:34 pm

I bought a new Holden Barina Spark for $16,000. Love it.

http://carandsuv.s3.amazonaws.com/wp...fq-688x455.jpg

Very small engine though, struggles with hills if you have passengers but lovely to drive. I had been looking for second hand cars in the same price range but decided small and new was better. Would have considered the Suzuki Alto as well. I drove a Citroen C1 in UK and the Barina feels similar with the added bonus of a light in the boot!!:D Has air con too. It doesn't look like it in the picture but it is a five door.

http://carandsuv.s3.amazonaws.com/wp...rq-340x229.jpg

Bo-Jangles Nov 5th 2011 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing, I would never have thought of or noticed one of those. Looks like a cool little car, I'll be on the look out for one of those on the road.

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 9715426)
I bought a new Holden Barina Spark for $16,000. Love it.

That's very well priced for my budget, was that brand new? Cos I think i'd prefer $16k of newer car than $16k worth of older car. :rofl:

I spotted a VW Polo today as well, I hadn't thought of one of those before either but now I have checked the price tag, I can rule that one out. We won't be going VW. :rofl:

Stormer999 Nov 5th 2011 7:24 am

Watch out if you are only driving short town type trips and do not go diesel go petrol. The new generation diesel economy engines need the filters burning out by a sustained high reving drive at regular intervals....;)

jmh Nov 5th 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9715899)

That's very well priced for my budget, was that brand new? Cos I think i'd prefer $16k of newer car than $16k worth of older car. :rofl:

Yes brand new - priced at 16,999 and got the 999 knocked off so 16,000 on the road (I may have negotiated off the extras like registration as well). You get to choose the colour too! The Alto was a similar price new I think.

pricklykina Nov 5th 2011 9:06 am

I have a Kia Rio
Not remotely cool, however it is great for me
has excellent safety features for a small car and good cabin space for a small car too
I have a 2007 one so not the new breed.
I would never have chosen it but got a great deal and have really got to like it.

pricklykina Nov 5th 2011 9:11 am

Oh and I just took mine around the coromandel with four of us in it up those hills and it was fine with it. A wee bit slow up the big one between whitianga and coromandel but stuck behind a campervan so it didn't matter

Here's a link for the new one Kia rio 2011 road test
My MIL has this one but actually finds that the 2007 outperforms it. Saying that she hasn't got use to it being tiptronic (or what ever it is called) yet

Bo-Jangles Nov 5th 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 9716000)
I would never have chosen it but got a great deal and have really got to like it.

That's why I asked really for some thoughts as there's lots out there on the road we either barely notice or have some preconceived ideas about. I was always led to believe in years gone by that one should avoid buying any Japanese car beginning with an M (Mazda, Mitsubishi) as they either weren't very reliable or had lots of problems but don't think that holds true anymore.

All options being considered at the moment to see how much dosh I would need to raise.

Charismatic Nov 5th 2011 9:50 am

Sirion if you like the Spark, boring(er?) but it'll be cheaper to run because underneath it's still a Toyota.

sheene Nov 5th 2011 10:11 am

Toyota Vitz RS 1.5, Mazda Demio Sport 1.5 (with bodykit)

Stormer999 Nov 5th 2011 10:20 am

Wifey zips around in a Fiat Panda 100HP....little flier.