British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What should I do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-should-i-do-444922/)

Nisey Apr 25th 2007 2:45 pm

What should I do?

Ok,

Reccie arranged, flights, hotel and rental car arranged, 5 interviews so far set up for Auckland, we have shortlisted suburbs to visit and are going to visit a school and trip up to Bay of Islands to see some people we know who have been giving us lots of info on NZ. What else should we absolutely do when in auckland? My brain is befuddled with all the planning.

Denise:blink:

simonmarkellis Apr 25th 2007 4:28 pm

Re: What should I do?

Originally Posted by Nisey (Post 4695770)
Ok,

Reccie arranged, flights, hotel and rental car arranged, 5 interviews so far set up for Auckland, we have shortlisted suburbs to visit and are going to visit a school and trip up to Bay of Islands to see some people we know who have been giving us lots of info on NZ. What else should we absolutely do when in auckland? My brain is befuddled with all the planning.

Denise:blink:

Enjoy it! Try a trip round the harbour, jump from the sky tower, Go up to the Hot Spa's at Waiwera there fantastic, then there's the indoor skiing but i can't remember the name of the place. Go to a KFC you get mashed potato in the gravy, it's great. Generally do some holiday things...

Leighlou Apr 26th 2007 12:31 am

Hi Nisey,
How long are you guys out there? Are you going to get to more places than just Auckland?
There are quite a no. of BE guys in Auckland, can you ask for a meet up with some of them? Having a chat with people on the ground I am sure will get you loads of info.
Have a fab time, am so jealous! When are you off?:blink:

mazi Apr 26th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 4696197)
Go to a KFC you get mashed potato in the gravy, it's great.

Mr. Markellis, are you quite insane???!!!

lardyl Apr 26th 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4699269)

nah, just rich ..... go to Parakai instead the Spa is much cheaper there....unless you want to spend a few hours in our neck of the woods......and visit Snowplanet - the indoor skiing that is not far from Waiwera :thumbup:

mazi Apr 26th 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4699292)
nah, just rich ..... go to Parakai instead the Spa is much cheaper there....unless you want to spend a few hours in our neck of the woods......and visit Snowplanet - the indoor skiing that is not far from Waiwera :thumbup:

Do you need to be especially rich to buy gravy at Kiwi For Chicken then?

lardyl Apr 26th 2007 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4699312)
Do you need to be especially rich to buy gravy at Kiwi For Chicken then?

well, with the medical costs out here for out of hours visits then probably yes, unless you have PR and are a child of course!!! :p :zzz:

Nisey Apr 26th 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks,

Going for ten days flying out Thursday night next week.

I'm up for the bungee off the tower, but doubt the old man would let me, and we'll def do the harbour cruise. I think I'll give the gravy at KFC a miss! thanks all the same.

Will look up the springs, if they are on the way north we'll take them in but were not venturing far from auckland on this trip, not enought time.

I notice theres a comedy festival on when we are there, will that be any good, or a bit tragic?

Whats the weather going to be doing, other than a suit for my interviews I don't want to take much, and we are renting a serviced apartment for the week so will have a washer dryer - handy.....

Nisey :thumbup:

Avid Apr 26th 2007 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nisey (Post 4699759)

I notice theres a comedy festival on when we are there, will that be any good, or a bit tragic?

I'm guessing tragic. Isn't Ardel O'Hanlon the main draw?

But then there's always Dai Henwood, if you want a taste of local 'humour'.

(Billy Connolly is GOD out here, by the way)

simonmarkellis Apr 26th 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4699269)

It gets me through the day..........

cottageinthesky Apr 26th 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4699789)
I'm guessing tragic. Isn't Ardel O'Hanlon the main draw?

But then there's always Dai Henwood, if you want a taste of local 'humour'.

(Billy Connolly is GOD out here, by the way)

And I thought you were a recent import - not many expats know about Dai Henwood :confused:

Avid Apr 26th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4699954)
And I thought you were a recent import - not many expats know about Dai Henwood :confused:

Lucky them......the PR applications would drop to zero if Dai ever toured the UK

cottageinthesky Apr 26th 2007 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4699975)
Lucky them......the PR applications would drop to zero if Dai ever toured the UK

Thought he went down rather well at the Edinburgh Fringe :confused:

cottageinthesky Apr 26th 2007 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4699954)

Mind you, father Ray Henwood toured Les Miserables in Japan - maybe that's where you met up ?

Avid Apr 26th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky (Post 4700187)
Mind you, father Ray Henwood toured Les Miserables in Japan - maybe that's where you met up ?

Dai Henwood has played at the Tokyo Comedy Store.....I didn't see the show but if it was anything like his TV work he probably came on stage as a Kamikaze pilot with orange peel stuck in his mouth shouting 'banzai'.....