Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What should i do????

What should i do????

Old May 5th 2005, 7:50 pm
life is what happens

moose1 will become famous soon enoughmoose1 will become famous soon enough
Default What should i do????

I haven't even got as far as completing EOI form and have recieved an e.mail today that has said "please come and work asap we are desperate".
now our problem here is this, do i go to nz straight away on my own on visitors visa and apply straight away for work permit etc? bearing in mind that we havent even put our house on the market yet.
if i do this it means leaving my wife and kids in france on their own for a couple of months to deal with everything and follow me out at a later date.
or do we stick in our EOI and put the house on the market while we play the waiting game and hope that there are still the oportunities over there for us that there are now.
any ideas will be much appreciated because me and the wife have talked ourselves silly and just cant make up our minds, plus and minus to both sides and we can't decide what to do for the best.
help help help please before the wife goes totally insane
Old May 5th 2005, 8:06 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What should i do????

IMO go to NZ on a holiday visa with a return ticket. Collect your written job offer, make sure you have all your paperwork and head to the nearset NZIS office. Within a few days if not hours you will have your visa in hand. Make sure the job offer has a start date and clearly states 2 yr contract. This obviously can be amended once you get your PR. Is your job on a shortage list???? If I remember right thats the only way you can get a work visa/permit.

There are a few offices in Auckland and one in Wellington, Hamilton and Palmerston North in the North Island, not too sure of the South.

Sorry should of said your wife will only be able to come out the same way if she waits a few months, then have to be added on to your visa - gives her an Open Work Visa for same period. So the excessive cost you may have are the return tickets.

Loads of people do it this way, so you wont be the first and def not the last.

Anything else just ask.
Old May 5th 2005, 8:17 pm
life is what happens

moose1 will become famous soon enoughmoose1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What should i do????

Loads of people do it this way, so you wont be the first and def not the last.

Anything else just ask.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know the job is not on the shortage list that I can find....
it does however appear somewere..
I'm a truck driver so it is not in any of the long term, cluster etc lists.
am going to email this guy and see if i can iron out some of the questions.
But I must admit I'm bloody tempted but talk is cheap ............
as far as i can gather drivers are like rocking horse crap world wide, but still doesn't stop most bosses being full of what makes grass grow tall.
thanks for your thoughts