Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:45 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Only just introducing a probation period? I'd say that's pretty out of date in terms of employment law when compared to other western nations.

The chopping and changing around of annual leave law is just nuts. As others have said. So you may 'laugh' at my analogy - I don't see you living over here trying to improve things and make the system better.......it's all so easy to preach at others to not complain when you aren't living it day to day.

Why thank you for making a sweeping judgement on how I live my life based on a couple of posts on a forum. You don't know what I do for a living and what pressures I might be under in the workplace - but all that aside I can assure you that the attitudes of most of the people I work with are totally professional and people work very very hard. Sometimes harder than what I experienced in the UK.

Not got much of an opinion of your fellow countrymen have you?

So what's new. That happens in the UK. It's flaws within the system. Would you prefer to see a return to the 'dark ages' in that case? Are you perchance a devotee of the Daily Mail?

In the grand scheme of things the employment law is hardly the worst thing in the world. Life here is pretty cool.
As long as you get the work / life balance right it's do-able , you'll adapt to it all just give it time.

I think I was a little surprised that you didn't already know the ways of working down this end of the world, comparing NZ/Australia to the "rest of the western world" is a mistake IMO, it's in the pacific and closer to Asia than to London, Paris and NY.

Your husband's a Kiwi isn't he, how's he fitting back in to it all?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Then that's a fault of the system and not necessarily of the person. .
It's the Kiwi way.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cally49
I think also Genesis that letting a 15yr old behind the wheel of a car is like giving them a loaded gun i have been in NZ 35yrs now and i still cannot believe the age has never been raised esp when they can drive these souped up things that just about scrape the road they are so low....

Also when buying a car dont you think a drivers licence should be produced?I know of a young lady (aged 20) who went and bought herself a car..... has owned 3 cars been caught once already for driving with no licence which also means she has no insurance and just thinks its funny.....Drove past her dad waving the other day they just think they are so invincible it truly is ridiclous....
I know Cally. It makes me mad, sad and cringe all at the same time. It just ain't that safe on the roads out there.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:09 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

A friend's son turned 15 got his license and soon after was involved in two accidents. The (peer) pressure on kids to drive at an early age is immense in NZ and it doesn't help that there isn't much of a public transport system.

Two kids I know back there both passed their tests after making mistakes that I think should've earned them an failure - one hit another car whilst reversing and the other failed to stop when a pedestrian was using a crossing.

Kids aren't that much different here but they have to wait until they're 16 to get their L's and then they're all for getting their own car to "have their freedom." I'm quite happy to provide a taxi service though.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:39 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult that one....18 years old in most of Europe, 16 on the Isle of Man and 17 in UK. If the age is to be related to traffic volume then the UK min age should be 21....
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Difficult that one....18 years old in most of Europe, 16 on the Isle of Man and 17 in UK. If the age is to be related to traffic volume then the UK min age should be 21....
From my understanding it is not so much the age at which the individual gains the license but the problem arises 2 -3 years later when the 'confidence' or 'cockiness' starts to kick in. ie if you gain your license at 15 you will be at your most dangerous at 17/18 years of age. If you gain your license at 18 years you will be at your most dangerous at 20 years, although it all depends on the individual; any 'death wish' they may have, [by that I mean an inability to see beyond tomorrow] and of course their parents attitude towards driving.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

In germany we have a two year probation for people who just got their driving license. If they don't follow the rules they will have to pay for expensive retraining seminars and the probation will be extended.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
Uncool? Its utterly dumb-arse, stupid, idiotic, gormless and pathetic. In one foul swoop you could do so much good and no doubt create a few jobs for the huge influx of insurance policies that would have to be created. Just how dumb is every transport minister not to have over turned that one? Yet another good reason not to vote for a bunch of fools IMO.
Believe it or not (and this is a fact), the take up on insurance is roughly the same as the UK, where it is compulsory. If it was here also, just imagine what the price of it would be and do you really think that those who don't have it will start to pay for it? And then what would the penalty be for not having it?
Registration, WOF and a licence are all compulsory and it seems that half of NZ drives around without all three!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Peer pressure and trying to impress the mates/girls is a major contributing factor. Making the spring chickens drive without passengers for the first couple of years would be a good thing. Difficult to enforce and regulate though.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

They aren't supposed to have passengers on a restricted licence anyway but it doesn't stop them. (And most drive around on a learners as well).If they tot up their demerits they get a 3 month ban. To get that they must be stopped three times first and what are the chances that they will get stopped during the 3 months. Unlikely. So there is no deterrent.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:41 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Droidling
Peer pressure and trying to impress the mates/girls is a major contributing factor. Making the spring chickens drive without passengers for the first couple of years would be a good thing. Difficult to enforce and regulate though.
Much more sensible would be to restrict new drivers to low power cars for the first 3 years.

Also, I would advocate refusal of a WOF to ANY car that is altered from the makers standard spec, even stuff that doesn't affect performance, like an over loud sound system.

After all, the manufacturer should know what is the best configuration for their cars, shouldn't they, they designed it.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
People coming into MY house who have just come off the street barefoot..thus they tread all the crap from outside onto all my carpets and floors....ugh. Driving on beaches..how crap is that???
A family came to see us once and when I saw the kids coming with bare feet, I had them walk around to the back door near the bathroom and said they had to was their feet before they came into the rest of the house.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:40 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
A family came to see us once and when I saw the kids coming with bare feet, I had them walk around to the back door near the bathroom and said they had to was their feet before they came into the rest of the house.
I so totally agree. It makes me cringe every time I see someone walking in the city with bare feet. Ok on the beach or even on grass, but on the pavements?

Worst still, I saw a family in Pac'n'save the other day barefooted. The floor was filthy, covered in God knows what and the soles of their feet were black.

After all, humans invented SHOES to protect feet from this kind of crap.

And dont get me started on Jandels. Poverty shoes I call them.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I so totally agree. It makes me cringe every time I see someone walking in the city with bare feet. Ok on the beach or even on grass, but on the pavements?

Worst still, I saw a family in Pac'n'save the other day barefooted. The floor was filthy, covered in God knows what and the soles of their feet were black.

After all, humans invented SHOES to protect feet from this kind of crap.

And dont get me started on Jandels. Poverty shoes I call them.
The worse thing is seeing someone coming out of the Gents barefoot
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:53 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Humans invented shoes to stop dog poo squidging between your toes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.