Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it really like Financially in NZ?

What is it really like Financially in NZ?

Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

BrightyRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is it really like Financially in NZ?

Hi, my last post was about Lifestyle and THANK YOU so much to everyone who replied, i really appreciated you sharing your experiences. I was just wondering now (as it seems to be a huge issue for lots of people) what is life really like in terms of finances in NZ?

I've read that a lot of people are struggling financially over there, is this the case for everyone? What sort of household income would afford a comfortable standard of living (in your opinion)?

Thank you for any replies
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:56 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it really like Financially in NZ?

Why don't you tell us what your expectations are with regards to salary you would get in NZ? Where do you think you would like to live? What's your motivation to come to NZ?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good post Catchafire. It's not a question that could possibly be answered to the benefit of the OP's current situation. as we all have very differing earning potential & we all came over with differing funds. So all it does for the OP is give a snapshot of each of our individual personal financial circumstances.

The OP , from his posts is a tradesman. A Mechanical Fitter & currently earning GBP 30K = NZD $57K. Mechanical fitters are not presently in shortage here in NZ. Mechanical Engineers of degree standard are.
This occupation would normally look to Auckland although Christchurch could have some openings I guess.

Auckland v Christchurch = Auckland more expensive.

Therefore, it is my conclusion that there is no point my telling the OP how it is for us here in the Nelson area with OH working as a plumber /gasfitter & no work for me.
The only thing that is vaguely relevant is that my OH is also a tradesman.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Wow Bevs, not sure what i did to deserve such a cold reply. The old phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all' comes to mind. I guess you're just having another bad day down under!

I guess finances are always a sensitive issue. Was just trying to do my research so i don't end up regretting a move and finding myself on this forum whinging, moaning and being unhelpful to people... sound familiar Bevs?!

By the way, my skills and qualifications ARE in demand on the shortage list - i haven't divuldged to your all knowing, judgemental eyes what exactly i have on my c.v. in terms of qualifications, experience or otherwise...so try to be too quick to talk to people on my behalf in future

Take care and please CHEER UP
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Interesting response you have there & thank you for that.
One can only go on what you have written in your past posts.

....my research indicates that im not on the skills shortage list
As Catchafire suggests it is best to start this type of research from your own perspective. What do you hope to earn. What lifestyle expectations do you have. Where do you hope to settle. You have posted about your children wanting to make the move . Have you all a place in mind?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrightyRB
Hi, my last post was about Lifestyle and THANK YOU so much to everyone who replied, i really appreciated you sharing your experiences. I was just wondering now (as it seems to be a huge issue for lots of people) what is life really like in terms of finances in NZ?

I've read that a lot of people are struggling financially over there, is this the case for everyone? What sort of household income would afford a comfortable standard of living (in your opinion)?

Thank you for any replies
We don't have a mortgage and earn a good income of around $60k after all taxation and that includes our working for family tax credits. We live quite well but NOT lavishly. It all goes and we shop very astutely and accept hand me downs etc. We do not have any big toys and we don't spend up large on that re hols. We have 3 kids all around 10 years old and no private education to pay for. Point is it ALL goes and then some. We ALWAYS eat into our saving every year to maintain what we think is a good lifestyle. So the common refrain is the same....... NZ is bloody expensive and unless you don't mind being skint you really really need to do your home work and truly evaluate if your funds you currently have AND your earning potential will be sufficient to leave you a reasonable standard of living. If we hade an average mortgage I don't think we could manage...I know we couldn't. A trip to the Uk will cost us around $30k for the 5 of us. Done 2 in seven years. This is paid for out of savings. No savings=no trips back to see rellies.

One of the main reasons we came here was to be better off. The only reason we are better off is because we came with 20 years of equity and Kate now has a niche job in healthcare that pays better than average wages.

Last edited by Genesis; Feb 12th 2012 at 10:22 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:57 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Bevs, not sure what i did to deserve such a cold reply. The old phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all' comes to mind. I guess you're just having another bad day down under!

I guess finances are always a sensitive issue. Was just trying to do my research so i don't end up regretting a move and finding myself on this forum whinging, moaning and being unhelpful to people... sound familiar Bevs?!

By the way, my skills and qualifications ARE in demand on the shortage list - i haven't divuldged to your all knowing, judgemental eyes what exactly i have on my c.v. in terms of qualifications, experience or otherwise...so try to be too quick to talk to people on my behalf in future

Ooo handbags at dawn, you'll fit right in on here.

So what is your situation then?

If like me you are in a household with two decent wages and no kids, and have 30% deposit on a house, but no other savings you'll be fine.

If you are a mormon with 17 wives and 23 kids to look after, i'm guessing you'll struggle.

As for skills, well only NZ job offers will tell you how much in demand you are, despite what the immigration lists tell you. Many people with quals on the lists still struggle to find a job.

We can't help if we dont know, and leave BEVS alone, I see nothing in her reply that could cause offence, other than doing her best to assist you in getting the info you want.

Peace.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:47 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely no reason for that type of response. There is nothing that Bevs replied that was nothing more than helpful.

Your questions are very vague and I do not see how you can take anything useful out of it unless you give us some sort of personal reference point.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It sometimes seems to me that those question like this one and the one about 'lifestyle' are simply hooker ones which allow folks to then come along and extol the virtues of living in NZ. It gets a bit tiring at times as they all have the same tone. I think the OP really knows the ansers to his own questions.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a sort of "How long's a piece of string?" question.

It will depend on how much you bring over with you in the first place, where you lived in the UK, how much you earn, how many in the family, where you live & work, what sort of life you live (go out frequently, holidays etc.), how much your mortgage/rent is, transport costs, do you need one car or two (or more), will you both be working & so on & so forth.

I could give you our situation but it's unique to us, so I don't see that it helps you at all.

All I can tell you from my perspective is that I think it's more expensive than living in the UK. Mostly I like living here but I'd be quite happy to go back to the UK too.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

I'm sure before you all emigrated and you were in the early stages of your research you had equally as 'vague' questions that you wanted to find out more about.

One of the reasons my question is so 'vague' is that i know that there are hundred of other people browsing these forums for info but may not necessarily post. Therefore, i'm asking questions that are relevant to lots of people and not just myself.

My question was not 'Based on my income and expectations will i be able to afford to live comfortably in (specific) part of NZ?' Rather my question was, according to your own experience what sort of income affords a comfortable standard of living in your (your area) of NZ?' There is a distinct difference between the questions and this is intentional.

I do feel that had the question not been about Money (a very stiff upper lip traditional british no-no subject) then the responses might've been a little different.

I also add that nobody has to reply to these posts. If you dont like what im asking or how im asking then just, please, ignore it. Surely a post with 0 replies conveys a clearer message than responding unhappily does?!

Thank you to Genesis and the Ghost of Dusty Bin for your relevant replies.

And for those wanting more info:

My wife and i will be mortgage free, earning $60k a year (possibly more if my wife gets a pt job)

My daughter and son in law will have money for a deposit for a house and will have an income of $120,000 -$150,000. They plan to start a family in a few years.

My other daughter and her partner will have no savings and will have to rent. They hope to have an income of $80,000 - $100,000 and will want to save for a house deposit.

All numbers are before tax or other outgoings. In terms of lifestyle, golf is important, walking the dogs, kayaking, hiking, beach, skiing/snowboarding are all appealing to us.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

hi there,i am uk based looking to move within 12 months i think this is a valid question,but the answers wont come easy if people are struggling,denial is a powerful emotion,keep asking we all need to know warts and all...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:46 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure before you all emigrated and you were in the early stages of your research you had equally as 'vague' questions that you wanted to find out more about.

One of the reasons my question is so 'vague' is that i know that there are hundred of other people browsing these forums for info but may not necessarily post. Therefore, i'm asking questions that are relevant to lots of people and not just myself.

My question was not 'Based on my income and expectations will i be able to afford to live comfortably in (specific) part of NZ?' Rather my question was, according to your own experience what sort of income affords a comfortable standard of living in your (your area) of NZ?' There is a distinct difference between the questions and this is intentional.

I do feel that had the question not been about Money (a very stiff upper lip traditional british no-no subject) then the responses might've been a little different.

I also add that nobody has to reply to these posts. If you dont like what im asking or how im asking then just, please, ignore it. Surely a post with 0 replies conveys a clearer message than responding unhappily does?!

Thank you to Genesis and the Ghost of Dusty Bin for your relevant replies.

And for those wanting more info:

My wife and i will be mortgage free, earning $60k a year (possibly more if my wife gets a pt job)

My daughter and son in law will have money for a deposit for a house and will have an income of $120,000 -$150,000. They plan to start a family in a few years.

My other daughter and her partner will have no savings and will have to rent. They hope to have an income of $80,000 - $100,000 and will want to save for a house deposit.

All numbers are before tax or other outgoings. In terms of lifestyle, golf is important, walking the dogs, kayaking, hiking, beach, skiing/snowboarding are all appealing to us.
Depending on your expectations and where you choose to live you should be fine, but that is only my opinion.

I dont think that money is the issue here, we don't know you, or how you are with money (i'm generally crap, thats why i have a wife!)

If you work out what you currently spend, then add 10 -15% remembering to budget for trips back to the UK if that is important to you, you won't go far wrong. Or if you are like me you will spend what you can afford to and adjust you life accordingly.

People seem to think that their lives will significantly change, but in my experience it's not true, unless of course you change your career path and live on top of a hill. Unfortunatly for most of us thats not an option, at least not in the short term. If you like to go out in the UK, you will still want to in NZ, if you cant survive without a cup of PG tips in the morning, moving to NZ isnt going to remove that urge. You will still be you, just in a different country.

Unlike most people on here i did little to no research on NZ before getting here, and didn't join this forum until after we had arrived. I just ended up here with no clue, a 20kg rucksack, a wife and a sense of adventure.

Regardless of money, I think it has more to do with attitude, flexibility and curiosity that will make a move successful. People running away or looking for eutopia will always be disapointed, regardless where they go or how much money they have.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi there,i am uk based looking to move within 12 months i think this is a valid question,but the answers wont come easy if people are struggling,denial is a powerful emotion,keep asking we all need to know warts and all...
I thought it was a valid question too. I answered it (like some others) and I think my answer (with info) like others has been helpful. If only to see what an average family like us get through I reckon that puts some paint on the canvas.

I don't have a stiff, UK upper lip I have very wobbly, half french half irish one.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:05 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've said I think you'll be OK, not rolling in it but doing pretty well and should be able to achieve all your lifestyle aspirations. You might want to adopt a policy of "if in doubt, assume the best of people" on this forum, especially the mods who perform a rather thankless task, imo.

BEVS- I really don't agree with you that 30kGBP= $57k. That may be what you get on the exchange, but on cost of living I think the multiple is more like 3x, but I guess that's just my experience/ opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.