Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What IT quals do I need?

What IT quals do I need?

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough
Default What IT quals do I need?

Does anyone know where I can find out what the numbers mean. For example I am in IT industry and it says:

ICT Professionals (261111 to 263312)

Where can I find out what the 261111 to 263312 are? Or does this apply to ALL areas of IT?

Also, one related question. In this category it states:

Bachelor Degree (Level 7)
qualification majoring in computer
science, information science or
information technology AND three
years of relevant work experience

I do not have a degree but I do have about 8 years work experience. Does this mean I won't get the points for this?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What IT quals do I need?

The numbers come from the ANZSCO listings.

I've started a new thread for this post and moved it into the main NZ forum. Hopefully someone working in IT will be able to tell you about the NZ standards required.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

The only IT qualifications that count are a degree, HND or HNC from a recognised University... MCSE, CCNA etc do not mean much to them i'm affraid...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

I fall under 262113 Systems Administraor. In my section it says:-

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

From this I take it if you have 5+ years experience you can use that instead of a qualification/degree. This is how it worked for my Australian skills assemenment anyway which was worded very similar and I passed that. We are applying for our work permit on Friday once I pickup my meds result.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all of that. I have found my category now and it too says that work experience can be a substitute for a qualification. Fantastic.

One more question though. I am just going through the Points Indicator and one of the questions is "Do you have a recognised basic qualification?". I am looking through the levels 1-10. Do they mean do I have at least level 1? I have GCSEs A-Levels and professional IT qualifications (CCNA, SCSA) so that must be a basic qualification surely. Or not? It makes the difference between being under 100 points or over.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wooah
Thanks for all of that. I have found my category now and it too says that work experience can be a substitute for a qualification. Fantastic.

One more question though. I am just going through the Points Indicator and one of the questions is "Do you have a recognised basic qualification?". I am looking through the levels 1-10. Do they mean do I have at least level 1? I have GCSEs A-Levels and professional IT qualifications (CCNA, SCSA) so that must be a basic qualification surely. Or not? It makes the difference between being under 100 points or over.
I don't think it does count no. You'd have to check with NZ Immigration to double check though.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR
I don't think it does count no. You'd have to check with NZ Immigration to double check though.
I wonder what they mean by basic qualification then. If it is the HNC/HND type stuff that they recognise I wouldn't say that was very basic. I will see if I can find a number and call them tonight.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Its a degree or job offer to get the enough points in IT i'm afraid.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

I fall under 262113 Systems Administraor. In my section it says:-

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

From this I take it if you have 5+ years experience you can use that instead of a qualification/degree. This is how it worked for my Australian skills assemenment anyway which was worded very similar and I passed that. We are applying for our work permit on Friday once I pickup my meds result.
I was looking at the Expression of Wish form and I am not sure how this is going to work.

I get points for having work experience but I also need the points for a qualification. I have enough work experience (like above) to substitute for this work experience. So my questios are:

1. Can I get points for the work experience counted twice?

2. How will this work on the expression of wish form? Surely when they see I don't have a qualification they will say I have too few points, not then looking at my work experience.

I can see why people use agents
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

I was looking at the Expression of Wish form and I am not sure how this is going to work.

I get points for having work experience but I also need the points for a qualification. I have enough work experience (like above) to substitute for this work experience. So my questios are:

1. Can I get points for the work experience counted twice?

2. How will this work on the expression of wish form? Surely when they see I don't have a qualification they will say I have too few points, not then looking at my work experience.

I can see why people use agents

1 = no

2 = if you dont have enough points then you dont get in. Like i said above you'll need a degree or secure a job offer to get enough points.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
1 = no

2 = if you dont have enough points then you dont get in. Like i said above you'll need a degree or secure a job offer to get enough points.
Ah. I see. Thanks.

Why is it that on the ANZSCO site it says that x years work experience can count as a qualification? But I suppose if I don't get the points twice anyway it does not matter to me.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah. I see. Thanks.

Why is it that on the ANZSCO site it says that x years work experience can count as a qualification? But I suppose if I don't get the points twice anyway it does not matter to me.
Got a link?

Also be aware that in Aus they have the RPL (recognition of prior learning) process where you can get your work experience assesed - NZ doesnt have this.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Got a link?

Also be aware that in Aus they have the RPL (recognition of prior learning) process where you can get your work experience assesed - NZ doesnt have this.
And the RPL is a pain the behind!!! Mine took me 3 months and ended up being 102 pages, but it passed
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Got a link?

The link is:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Technicians

which says:

Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

At least three years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

And I have 8+ years experience and IT certifications too.

And the RPL is a pain the behind!!! Mine took me 3 months and ended up being 102 pages, but it passed
102 pages???!!! That's an awful lot of prior learning
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The link is:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Technicians

which says:

Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

At least three years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

And I have 8+ years experience and IT certifications too.

102 pages???!!! That's an awful lot of prior learning

I see your point with the following statement

At least three years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above.

Though how this works in practice i dont know as someone would need to assess your experience. I'm not aware of any agency who does this in NZ - does anyone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.