British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What prompted your choice of area to live in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-prompted-your-choice-area-live-405365/)

karonious Nov 1st 2006 10:06 am

Re: What prompted your choice of area to live in?

Originally Posted by Maz1
Tell me something nice about it PLEASE

'Dunedin is notable now as centre for ecotourism. Uniquely, the world's only mainland Royal Albatross colony and several penguin and seal colonies lie within the city boundaries on Otago Peninsula.
A very strong visual arts community also lives in Dunedin and its environs.
Sport is catered for in Dunedin by the floodlit rugby and cricket venue of Carisbrook, a soccer and athletics stadium (the New Caledonian Ground) near the University at Logan Park, the large Edgar Centre indoor sports centre, and numerous golf courses and parks. There is also a horseracing circuit in the south of the city (Forbury Park), and several others within a few kilometres. Saint Clair Beach, on the city's Pacific shore, is a well-known surfing venue.
The climate of central Dunedin is cool temperate, and is greatly modified by its proximity to the ocean. This leads to warm summers and cool winters'.
Straight from Wikepedia (sp) but I have no doubt you knew that!! However, it is positive :D

danny.f Nov 1st 2006 11:35 am

Job availability,scenery,airport,proximity to both islands,Poppets,Cottage, and Valentines in Lower Hutt! :D

eileen35 Nov 1st 2006 11:37 am

Originally Posted by danny.f
Job availability,scenery,airport,proximity to both islands,Poppets,Cottage, and Valentines in Lower Hutt! :D

danny donna,
how did medicals go

danny.f Nov 1st 2006 11:45 am

Originally Posted by eileen35
danny donna,
how did medicals go

Eileen-how's it going?
4 of us it was plain sailing,for 1 fat bastar*,it was a shaky,stroke-inducing 20 mins of hell. My waist is too big,my blood pressure high,my feet too ugly,eyes too puffy,my knees too old,my wife and kids too pretty,my poo too pooey!
Waist had to be smaller than 103 cms,it was 105-with a squeeze,my BP eventually dropped to 140/85,but she cheated,and I had to have,and pay for 2 extra sample of blood-so you could sayfor 7-10 days,we're holding our breath. Bugger. Been dead good too. :(

eileen35 Nov 1st 2006 12:44 pm

Eileen-how's it going?
4 of us it was plain sailing,for 1 fat bastar*,it was a shaky,stroke-inducing 20 mins of hell. My waist is too big,my blood pressure high,my feet too ugly,eyes too puffy,my knees too old,my wife and kids too pretty,my poo too pooey!
Waist had to be smaller than 103 cms,it was 105-with a squeeze,my BP eventually dropped to 140/85,but she cheated,and I had to have,and pay for 2 extra sample of blood-so you could sayfor 7-10 days,we're holding our breath. Bugger. Been dead good too. :(

:scared: the poo bit. they dont do they?
im trying to convince my daughter about blood test. cant imagine how she,ll take that 1.
and me :eek:
apart from that,fingers crossed for yous
i sent yous an e-mail asking how they went.
by god they medicals certainly sound thorough,
oops ive just remembered ive to go back for blood test with my own doctor in jan,as my sugar levels were up in july. :(
bloody hate needles too.
well danny and gang
take care
eileen

hazeandsteve Nov 1st 2006 7:20 pm

We came over, took my job interviews, got offered the jobs, then decided we didn't want to live where the job offers were.
We're coming and living where we liked best. :)

Jobs please....

poppets Nov 1st 2006 11:40 pm

you are such a sweetheart xxxxxx :beer: :)

cottageinthesky Nov 2nd 2006 3:30 am

"Scarfies" a NZ made film by NZ film-makers, the Sarkies brothers - is about Dunedin students - should be available on video/dvd as received awards/accolades in independent film circles - would give you an interesting introduction to Dunedin.

There are acres of low budget student housing - all of which seem to have Sally Army sofas on the front porch - to soak up the evening sun and the beer.

I also saw my first "dog-wash" alongside a central Dunedin car-wash - similar to a large fish tank with one long side hinged - to get the dog in - and a shower head at one end - top of tank at human armpit height, so you could shower dog without getting soaked, either while showering or during post showering shaking session. I was immensely impressed!!

cottageinthesky Nov 2nd 2006 3:42 am

Oh you sweet talker you.... but fancy lumping us in with Valentines - don't tell me you're into quantity rather than quality....

taffinkent Nov 2nd 2006 6:29 am

5 Attachment(s)

Hi,

We live in Invercargill which is the furthest south you can get on the South Island. Many people on this site really gave Invercargill the thumbs down. It was said to be remote, freezing and " the ar**hole of NZ" ( a quote from the Rolling Stones in the 60`s because they could not find anywhere to buy cigarettes on a Sunday !! )

We chose it as we both had secure job offers and did not want to live or work in any big city environment after spending years commuting to London.

Well, we have been here over 9 months and love the place. We have been offered opportunities to move away with work but have settled well here.

The winter was very mild compared to the UK. We know the summer weather is not going to be as good as the North but we say leave that weather to the sun gods, if they love it let them have it !!

It is a very friendly place, when we arrived the neigbours came out from everywhere to offer us furniture and help until our container arrived. There are no traffic jams. I hardly drive at all as I can walk anywhere around town.

You are within 2 hours of the Lakes and Queenstown, Fiordland and the Catlins.

OK, Invercargill may not be everyone`s cup of tea but we love it.

Enclosed are some photos .....just to prove the sun shines here !!
( 1,2 +3 our house 4, the lakes 5, us at a Proms night !)

Taff and Debs.

Maz1 Nov 2nd 2006 2:52 pm

Thanks for the positive reply. We are coming over the end of the month and we originally were supposed to go to ChCh, but OH employer mentioned Dunedin first. Is your home rented or bought, whats it like for kids there (14 & 10 years old). What are schools like? Sorry about all the questions, we only made our minds up to come the middle of Sept. and now 6 weeks on we are actually coming FOR GOOD!!!! :scared: .

mumomonty Nov 2nd 2006 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We came over, took my job interviews, got offered the jobs, then decided we didn't want to live where the job offers were.
We're coming and living where we liked best. :)

Jobs please....

You could try and find something on Seek's NZ website.

Maz Nov 2nd 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Enclosed are some photos .....just to prove the sun shines here !!
( 1,2 +3 our house 4, the lakes 5, us at a Proms night !)

Taff and Debs.

Wow what a beautiful area! And your house is very lovely. :)

taffinkent Nov 3rd 2006 8:31 pm

5 Attachment(s)

Thanks for the positive reply. We are coming over the end of the month and we originally were supposed to go to ChCh, but OH employer mentioned Dunedin first. Is your home rented or bought, whats it like for kids there (14 & 10 years old). What are schools like? Sorry about all the questions, we only made our minds up to come the middle of Sept. and now 6 weeks on we are actually coming FOR GOOD!!!! :scared: .

Hi

We have bought here but rentals are easy to find.. It depends where you want to live as that will affect the house prices and schools.

We bought in a good area of town, near to shops and schools. Our 4 bedroom character house cost us $250K ( under £100k ) We are busy upgrading the interior to our liking.

Taff

PS More pictures of Dunedin and surrounding area.

Herm Nov 4th 2006 7:37 am

One hand and a PIN..... :)