British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What prompted your choice of area to live in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-prompted-your-choice-area-live-405365/)

Maz Oct 31st 2006 9:24 pm

What prompted your choice of area to live in?

Location of friends and family?
Geography?
Job availability?
Climate?

For us, we were hoping more for Auckland as it's a bigger city and warmer, but as we've got to know more about Wellington after we realised there would be far more job opportunities (in IT) for me there, the more we got to prefer the idea of moving to Wellington. The views I've seen of the harbour have particularly stunned me. More than the Auckland harbour (Aucklanders, don't kill me! :p ), for me anyway.

The South Island hasn't 'called' to us at all, just too remote. While we are still within striking distance of Chicago where we are, we do like to be on the very edge (best of both worlds).

If all goes well, we might well end up in Lower Hutt. :)

Andrew Cross Oct 31st 2006 9:40 pm

Re: What prompted your choice of area to live in?

I'm an airline worker so it had to be Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch, for the same career. Auckland was too much like the big city, which is what we wanted to get away from. Wellington too rainy and windy (and it is, as we have alot of cancelled flights due to bad weather there). I didn't particularly want to go to the south island but the more I read up on Christchurch the more I liked it. It has a beach, and the mountains for snow in the winter..it has the least rainfall and its not too big. I have found it to be just what we wanted. I got a job within a couple of weeks of looking and hubby is happy where he is with his job. Schools are great - so all in all Christchurch was the perfect choice for us....

Jude J Oct 31st 2006 10:24 pm

We wanted to come to Auckland because of work mostly, and although I haven't been to Wellington, the weather is generally colder down there and we wanted a slightly warmer climate. We live outside the city but its only a 15/20 minute drive away. We went a couple of weeks ago for a night out and I had forgotten how lovely it is, I am talking about the Viaduct, harbour area. It was stunning in the early evening light.
I have only been to Christchurch for a few hours but it looked beautiful, a bit English actually. Probably due to the cathederal, river and tram.

Andrew Cross Oct 31st 2006 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
We wanted to come to Auckland because of work mostly, and although I haven't been to Wellington, the weather is generally colder down there and we wanted a slightly warmer climate. We live outside the city but its only a 15/20 minute drive away. We went a couple of weeks ago for a night out and I had forgotten how lovely it is, I am talking about the Viaduct, harbour area. It was stunning in the early evening light.
I have only been to Christchurch for a few hours but it looked beautiful, a bit English actually. Probably due to the cathederal, river and tram.

Your right it is...but its not too in your face... :)

Batty Nov 1st 2006 5:41 am

Hubby's from Wellington (Upper Hutt) and we were initially going there but then his family all moved to Auckland and it seemed a bit silly (at the time :rolleyes: ) to travel 12,000 miles and still be a day's drive away from them. WHAT were we thinking???? :D I love Auckland though. I agree with Jude - it's a fantastic city at night.

SarahB Nov 1st 2006 6:58 am

We live near Auckland as thats where OH's job is. I've no doubt that if we had the choice to live anywhere in NZ we wouldve travelled around and probably not ended up in Auckland.

However, we do like it here and we love Beachlands. It has a lovely village community friendly feel to it and we have some stunning views from around here. It seems a nice place to live.... we're ok here for now. :D

mumomonty Nov 1st 2006 7:01 am

Didn't like Auckland but OH's job was in Auckland. He doesn't mind the drive.
Liked Cambridge and surrounds as quite horsey!
Have friends here too.
We'd like better weather but we'd also like to be nearer the coast. It's nice and rural here but jobs are plentiful. Saying that, we;re a bit 'over' NZ. It's pleasant but it's a bit 'ordinary'.

karonious Nov 1st 2006 7:01 am

Work was the decider for us. I wanted to work in forensic mental health nursing and it seems to be quite a narrow field in NZ. I took the first job I was offered and hoped for the best. Thankfully, I have found the job to be OK. Overall, pleased with how it has turned out so far (been here a month today!)... Hamilton is more of a large town that a city so that suits me very well as I never wanted to be part of the inner city rat-race or to bring my daughter up in that manner. At some point in the future I would love to live on the coast but it isn't a burning issue right now.

mumomonty Nov 1st 2006 7:03 am

Originally Posted by karonious
Work was the decider for us. I wanted to work in forensic mental health nursing and it seems to be quite a narrow field in NZ. I took the first job I was offered and hoped for the best. Thankfully, I have found the job to be OK. Overall, pleased with how it has turned out so far (been here a month today!)... Hamilton is more of a large town that a city so that suits me very well as I never wanted to be part of the inner city rat-race or to bring my daughter up in that manner. At some point in the future I would love to live on the coast but it isn't a burning issue right now.

It's funny cos Hammy is like a big town yet it's the largest inland city in NZ. Not a bad place though.

karonious Nov 1st 2006 7:07 am

the largest inland city in NZ.

Hi there mummomonty, I hadn't realised that. I like what I've seen so far :)
OK if I PM you about riding lessons rather than hijack the thread?

Boopy Nov 1st 2006 9:03 am

[QUOTE=karonious]Work was the decider for us. I wanted to work in forensic mental health nursing and it seems to be quite a narrow field in NZ. QUOTE]

My hubby also works in forensic mhn, there is a big mental health service here in Wellington and it's expanding. With 60% of staff brits, they all get on well and have some good nights out. If you fancy a change of area jut let me know.

Maz1 Nov 1st 2006 9:13 am

Does anyone know what Dunedin is like?

cottageinthesky Nov 1st 2006 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Maz1
Does anyone know what Dunedin is like?

Fffffff ..... freezing in winter coupled with severe Scottish architecture.

karonious Nov 1st 2006 9:55 am

My hubby also works in forensic mhn, there is a big mental health service here in Wellington and it's expanding. With 60% of staff brits, they all get on well and have some good nights out. If you fancy a change of area jut let me know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Dee, I will certainly bear it in mind for the future, but seems OK here so far :)

Maz1 Nov 1st 2006 10:22 am

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Fffffff ..... freezing in winter coupled with severe Scottish architecture.

Tell me something nice about it PLEASE