What is "PR"

Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default What is "PR"

Hiya. I've seen a few mentions of "PR", can someone please enlighten me?

For example, if you have PR, you are entitled to claim tax credits for kids? Also, if you have PR, you can change your job after 3 months?

What's this all about?

Thanks,
JaneAS
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is "PR"

Originally Posted by JaneAS

For example, if you have PR, you are entitled to claim tax credits for kids? Also, if you have PR, you can change your job after 3 months?

What's this all about?

Thanks,
JaneAS

hi jane,

PR is permanent residence as opposed to temporary residence. hope this helps.

Trish
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

What's this all about?

Thanks,
JaneAS
Hi JaneAS,
PR means you can do anything you want. Start a business, study, change career, work in a shop. You can live anywhere you want because you don't have the restriction of working in your normal field.
If you have a temporary visa you need to work for at least three months in a single job before you can apply for PR.
In short PR is infinitely preferable to temporary residence!!!
You're the IT project manager aren't you? I'm also in IT, or rather was! When we go I'll probably study or something. My skills would have restricted us to Wellington or Auckland. I'm not ruling out either, but the lure of living somewhere cheaper and just not doing IT anymore is a strong pull!
I have no idea at present about the tax system (haven't got to that yet), but I do know (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are not entitled to any 'benefits' - social security etc for 2/3 years and none at all if you are temporary.
Your 6 year old has the same education rights as any little Kiwi whether you have PR or a temporary visa. It's just that there's no gaurantee of them letting you stay, whether he/she is enrolled at a school or not.
Hope this helps!
Mark
PS, to save me replying to the Roll call thread, we are Mark and Tracey from Reading. We got PR three weeks ago and are heading out to NZ probably around Easter time. We have two little girls (5 and 3). Nice to meet you!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi JaneAS,
PR means you can do anything you want. Start a business, study, change career, work in a shop. You can live anywhere you want because you don't have the restriction of working in your normal field.
And become a New Zealand citizen after fulfilling normal residence requirements.

Starting 1 January 2006, children born in New Zealand won't be NZ citizens automatically unless at least one parent is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident (incl Australian citizens) at the time of birth.

Lots of temporary residents are going to get a bad surprise in early 2006 when they apply for NZ passports for their newborns and find they are refused.

Some PR visas, especially those issued to business people or investors, may have conditions that you have to fulfil or PR will be cancelled. However most PRs are free to live their lives in New Zealand on the same basis as any New Zealander, with only a few exceptions to the rule.

Jeremy
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
JaneAS
What do you mean by tax credits for kids? There is no taxable allowance in NZ, you pay tax on the full amount of earning. Kids even pay tax on any interest they receive in bank accounts.

Gill
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:30 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
What do you mean by tax credits for kids? There is no taxable allowance in NZ, you pay tax on the full amount of earning. Kids even pay tax on any interest they receive in bank accounts.

Gill
Gill,

I suspect Jane is referring to NZ's equivalent of the UK's family allowance which I believe is means tested in NZ unlike in the UK.

Carmen.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:15 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi JaneAS,
If you have a temporary visa you need to work for at least three months in a single job before you can apply for PR.
In short PR is infinitely preferable to temporary residence!!!
You're the IT project manager aren't you? I'm also in IT, or rather was! When we go I'll probably study or something. My skills would have restricted us to Wellington or Auckland. I'm not ruling out either, but the lure of living somewhere cheaper and just not doing IT anymore is a strong pull!
I have no idea at present about the tax system (haven't got to that yet), but I do know (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) that you are not entitled to any 'benefits' - social security etc for 2/3 years and none at all if you are temporary.
Your 6 year old has the same education rights as any little Kiwi whether you have PR or a temporary visa. It's just that there's no gaurantee of them letting you stay, whether he/she is enrolled at a school or not.
Hope this helps!
Mark
PS, to save me replying to the Roll call thread, we are Mark and Tracey from Reading. We got PR three weeks ago and are heading out to NZ probably around Easter time. We have two little girls (5 and 3). Nice to meet you!
Hi MarkK i am in IT and feel exactly the same.....can you train up to teach IT? although i will probably drive a bus
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thanks folks, that makes some more sense

I didn't realise that you could get PR before going, I thought it was conditional on spending a certain amount of time there!!

Another question springs to mind. If we go to NZ on the basis of a job for me, is my OH free to set up a business of his own? Or does he have to wait until he has PR? Just keeping the options open...

Yes MarkK, I work in IT projects, and it does seem to be limiting as to where we could move. I don't fancy Aukland (too big and expensive), and I have reservations about Wellington, so I am pinning my hopes on Ch.Church. However once we are there, who knows!

JaneAS
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hi MarkK i am in IT and feel exactly the same.....can you train up to teach IT? although i will probably drive a bus
Hi Paul,
I used to enjoy IT, but it seems like a dead end career these days (and everyone seems to do it!!)
Do you have a degree? I think you need one of those to train to be a teacher. If NZ is like the UK I think you have to teach IT with something else... does anyone out there know? We really want to move to the Tauranga area but there isn't much call for IT there....driving a bus though, there's an idea!
Mark
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't realise that you could get PR before going, I thought it was conditional on spending a certain amount of time there!!

Another question springs to mind. If we go to NZ on the basis of a job for me, is my OH free to set up a business of his own? Or does he have to wait until he has PR? Just keeping the options open...

Yes MarkK, I work in IT projects, and it does seem to be limiting as to where we could move. I don't fancy Aukland (too big and expensive), and I have reservations about Wellington, so I am pinning my hopes on Ch.Church. However once we are there, who knows!

JaneAS
Hi JaneAS,
OH will be free to do whatever he wants as he will automatically get PR too if he is on your application. Sounds good eh!
It sounds like IT is booming in both Christchuch and Wellington.
What reservations do you have about Wellington? We liked it when we went a few years ago and we haven't ruled it out. That's what I meant about just turning up and taking a look before you decide on anywhere in particular. You may love Tauaranga so much you'll be a bus driver like me and Pompey_Paul!
Mark
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mark.
Sounds a bit silly perhaps, but Wellington is right on a major fault line, and I have always felt anxious about earthquakes.... Apart from that, it checks out fine!

I feel happier about the idea of S. Island, as there are fewer people there, and the climate is more English. I'd really like to live somewhere that sees proper winters (i.e. snow!), and Christchurch fits the bill for that.

JaneAS
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be confused between PR and citizenship. New Zealand citizenship generally requires 5 years residence as a PR:
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy