Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

At what point do you look for work?

At what point do you look for work?

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:12 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Smile At what point do you look for work?

Hi there, because we would like to move over to nz at the end of British summer time, (when our 15 year old has finished his GCSE's) my OH thinks he should start contacting agencies etc at end of Feb. We need to get a job offer to get the points. When job offer has been offered we will then start up the visa stuff again. Any thoughts? Do you think this is ok timing?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:11 am

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: At what point do you look for work?

Ok, maybe not such a clever question after all.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:05 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure as still in UK and going over on spouse visa so not an avenue we have explored.
But having a stab, from what I have read on here some find it very difficult to secure a job offer from the UK. If you are waiting on that to up your points I would have thought the sooner you get going trying to secure one the better.Having said that you may be in a catch 22 as not sure how easy it will be to secure a job if you have not got a visa in place as employers will want to know you are ready to come over within an acceptable time frame.

All our best laid plans have gone to pot as we didnt get the house on the market when we thought we might & now we are still waiting for the elusive sale

Good luck & sorry not really much use

Dewb
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Not sure as still in UK and going over on spouse visa so not an avenue we have explored.
But having a stab, from what I have read on here some find it very difficult to secure a job offer from the UK. If you are waiting on that to up your points I would have thought the sooner you get going trying to secure one the better.Having said that you may be in a catch 22 as not sure how easy it will be to secure a job if you have not got a visa in place as employers will want to know you are ready to come over within an acceptable time frame.

All our best laid plans have gone to pot as we didnt get the house on the market when we thought we might & now we are still waiting for the elusive sale

Good luck & sorry not really much use

Dewb
Hi,
We found it difficult to get anywhere with the recruitment agencies until we had our visa and knew the date of arriving in NZ. Once we got PR the agencies did put us forward for a few roles and we did get a couple of telephone interivews , I do think it depends on your profession and if an employer is happy to wait until you have your visa etc. Its a catch 22! Good Luck J
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gags
Hi there, because we would like to move over to nz at the end of British summer time, (when our 15 year old has finished his GCSE's) my OH thinks he should start contacting agencies etc at end of Feb. We need to get a job offer to get the points. When job offer has been offered we will then start up the visa stuff again. Any thoughts? Do you think this is ok timing?
I would assume that while you reference 'the end of british summer time' and the GCSE thing - that you could possibly go around the end May/June which is about when the exams will actually be all finished rather than October - If thats the case i would think that the sooner you start applying the better.

If you get the right job, with the right employer, and you are the 'best' person for the job, they will probably appreciate that these things dont happen overnight and may wait for you if you can give them a more difinitive 'ETA'.

Just my thoughts, good luck with the searching for you x

psycho x

Last edited by Psychopandy; Jan 27th 2010 at 11:47 pm. Reason: crap typing x
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:15 am

Thats great advice. Many thanks to all. These threads answer nearly all my queries. GREAT!. Will now have to prod my OH with the knitting needles again to start getting all the balls rolling. Life does get in the way sometimes with 2 teenagers and a little one. I so want to get on with it (drive my OH mad alittle I think ) but the timings seem so daunting and it seems like a MIRACLE that anyone can get it together in time but you obviously do in the end which is fab. Son is already in the throws of exams here and there, need to get the house valued also and get 'that job!'. WOW Also we have never been out there and I want a visit but you can't just visit nz, you have to know where to visit!. Oh well... Thanks guys,
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:04 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gags
Thats great advice. Many thanks to all. These threads answer nearly all my queries. GREAT!. Will now have to prod my OH with the knitting needles again to start getting all the balls rolling. Life does get in the way sometimes with 2 teenagers and a little one. I so want to get on with it (drive my OH mad alittle I think ) but the timings seem so daunting and it seems like a MIRACLE that anyone can get it together in time but you obviously do in the end which is fab. Son is already in the throws of exams here and there, need to get the house valued also and get 'that job!'. WOW Also we have never been out there and I want a visit but you can't just visit nz, you have to know where to visit!. Oh well... Thanks guys,
I think it is honestly very hard to get a real time scale, we honestly thought we would be over there last September, but as you say life gets in the way. Mind you glad we did not sell last year when the market was terrible. So now we have to wait for house to sell. Hubby has to officially hand in notice at work (end feb as bonus paid then) he will prob have to work 3 months notice so the earliest guess is June, providing the house sells . But then you are looking at a NZ winter so do we hang on here let kids finish the school year, have summer here, then go in September on it goes............

Use this time in the UK to really think about the lifestyle that would suit you and your family. I would think having teenagers the rural lifestyle may not cut it. Research some towns and post questions on here about them, this may help narrow your search. If you could get over that would be so very useful as a recce and job search
Appreciate a lot of people dont and all works out fine so up to you really.

Good luck what ever you decide

Dewb