Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to pack for flight until container arrives

What to pack for flight until container arrives

Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light
Default What to pack for flight until container arrives

Sorry if this question has been asked but I've trawled the threads and can't find it....

We are flying out on 23 September to Christchurch and have a minimal 30kg luggage allowance. Our container will obviously not arrive for a few weeks, so what should, I bring? Clothes wise, what's the weather likely to be like?

Sorting stuff out now and slowly getting through lists and lists and lists and lists..... Yawn

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What to pack for flight until container arrives

Sorry - just noticed in wrong place on forum! I can't work out how to move it either....
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinksar
Sorry if this question has been asked but I've trawled the threads and can't find it....

We are flying out on 23 September to Christchurch and have a minimal 30kg luggage allowance. Our container will obviously not arrive for a few weeks, so what should, I bring? Clothes wise, what's the weather likely to be like?

Sorting stuff out now and slowly getting through lists and lists and lists and lists..... Yawn

Any advice greatly appreciated!
We brought a range of clothes, t shirts through to jumpers, a smart pair of shoes and muck about ones. I also brought my favourite sharp knife and my wooden spoon!
Most everyday things can be picked up pretty cheap to tide you over, and there are plenty op shops (charity shops) if you're not precious about where the stuff has come from.
If you'll need beds I can recommend the cheap blow up beds from The Warehouse at $16 for a single.
Also collect the salts and peppers, sugars, tea and coffee sachets from your hotel/motel rooms, you paid for them!
Also bring important papers - birth certs etc.
Good luck!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ooh that's great - hadn't thought about the sachets etc! Great tip, thanks very much!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh that's great - hadn't thought about the sachets etc! Great tip, thanks very much!
My son has always been a great one for stashing them - he's chuffed he's allowed to now!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you bring shorts, jeans, jumper and rain coats, we have had every kind of weather but when It gets warm it gets warm.
If your not working then you won't need anything formal as everything is pretty laid back here
The one thing I didn't put in was sports wear, not a sporty person but new friends invited me to yoga and so many people are active and the scenery so stunning that I started jogging (also to de stress) so had to buy it

Good luck hope all goes well
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

found this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=luggage
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mrs F you're a star. I think we're just going to bring clothes/shoes and toiletries, kindle/iPod etc and possibly a duvet over and pillowcase and towels and then buy any essentials if we have to.

I feel another list coming on
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
The one thing I didn't put in was sports wear, not a sporty person but new friends invited me to yoga and so many people are active and the scenery so stunning that I started jogging (also to de stress) so had to buy it
Honestly it's just stuff and I don't understand why people get so stressed about what to bring.

Unless it's something you absolutely can't live without, we do have some shops here. If your desperate for a woooden spoon or a tin opener you can get stuff from the $2 Shop and if you're really desperate you can get t-shirts and leggings in the warehouse for $20.

If the worst comes to the worst, M&S deliveries have been free for almost all of this year and only take about a week to get here.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:25 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - just noticed in wrong place on forum! I can't work out how to move it either....
You can ask a moderator to move it. Sometimes if they notice a thread should be in a different place they will move it as part of their job.

Also, you can ask to have a thread moved to a better/more relevant place.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mrs F you're a star. I think we're just going to bring clothes/shoes and toiletries, kindle/iPod etc and possibly a duvet over and pillowcase and towels and then buy any essentials if we have to.

I feel another list coming on
Um, when 'packing panic' gets hold of you you'll want to put nearly everything just in your hand luggage !

I wouldn't take a duvet in your checked baggage. It will be to bulky. Your movers will probably brace your t.v., pictures, stuff like that with your blankets, towels etc.

It's almost comical that you will pack like you were going on holiday i.e. change of clothes, shoes, hairdryer, toiletries etc. Then you take important paperwork i.e. birth certs etc. Then maybe jewellery and such like.

That's when packing gets serious !

Clearly identify what you are taking yourselves, it would be useful to have this done before the packers come (sorry if that's a statement of the blindingly obvious !.) Packers move like greased lightning. I nearly, 'lost' my makeup bag and had to ask the packers to open a box to get it out.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 10th 2013 at 3:34 am. Reason: Forgot to close a bracket
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:41 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The wine and Speights beer bottles have screw tops and you can drink straight from the bottle to save glasses...
Seriously though when you arrive send me a message and you are welcome to use a cheap Warehouse Iron/ironing board and toaster.. Clothes bring layers for temperature adjustment, and plenty of sun glasses.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks snapshot. Panick already setting in and we have 6 weeks yet!

Stormer999 that's really lovely of you thanks. If it comes to it and we need help I'll definitely give you a shout!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Hi Pinksar, know how you feel, we have had to leave our home, with a 4 and 7 year old in tow, living with my sister for 4 weeks, then 2 weeks in America, 2-3 weeks in Australia prior to landing in NZ! Following landing we will be living in our camper van for god knows how long until we can find a home to buy! Our situation, created by us and we have got to deal with it! I have had the same feelings and sorry Bo-Jangles, but you may not have stressed but some people do have to work through the packing list. Often it is the fear of the unknown that makes some of us stressed over such trivia. It does feel like a big deal. If you do not know that there are places to buy the very important things, like pull ups, duvet covers or a corkscrew, your mind in the pre leaving state kids you that these things are not available. Sometimes all sense of logic leaves the building and panic buying/packing ensues. My advice is to take enough clothes for a two week holiday, pack important documents in hand luggage and try to remember that it is New Zealand, not outer Mongolia. I have been living by this mantra for 6 weeks already!! Best of luck xxxx
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I know you can buy wooden spoons here, it's just that it made me feel better! Simple pleasures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.