Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to pack in container

What to pack in container

Old May 10th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to pack in container

I have seen many threads where people have mentioned items that are hard to get in NZ and wish they had taken with them, such as curtain material.
What items should we be looking at buying in the UK ready to pack in the container later in the year. I will start it off with:

Curtain material.

Old May 10th 2008, 6:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to pack in container

Clothes - all. From undies to rain proofs. Choice is crap here & expensive for decent quality stuff.

Shoes - ditto.

Books, DVD's CD's - do a mass order on Amazon & grab some at the airport on departure.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't there yet, but i was told De-humidifier and pens and paper for kids school work.

but interested to see the rest of the list.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcoltom
What items should we be looking at buying in the UK ready to pack in the container later in the year. I will start it off with:

Bring-it-all!! AS MUCH AS YOU CAN from A to Z

you'll only regret the things you don't. also please don't forget some UK medicines if you need - ex) Strepsils, Germolene & E45 Cream range. Oz Strepsils here pretty horrible and crap (it isn't as effective - Anaesthetic one). My mum hates that stuff, therefore every winter I order the most of non-prescription medicines from the UK pharmacy. If you live in Auckland or somewhere warm, then you may need Bite & Sting spray as well but what you can get here they are absolutely rubbish (they contain harmful chemicals :curse + Mind you, E45 Cream & Germolene range aren't available in NZ.

don't forget....

Ikea Sofa, Scandinavian furniture, good quality electronic domestic appliances, British tableware........etc

however. decent quality European kitchen utensils are available here if you are more than happy to pay x 3 price

Water proof jacket - they are bloody expensive & very limited choice. You don't want to know the prices/how much they are here

Books, CD& DVD - I still buy everything from the UK - the shipping costs are joke! do a messive order.

Clothes & Shoes - although you are more than happy to pay crazy prices, it's not easy to find decent stuff or UK equivalent.

I don't know about curtain to be honest, but surely expensive + small range.

and if you can, bring Packaged British food

Be prepared. and good luck

Last edited by crap coffee; May 10th 2008 at 12:25 pm.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

One I always forget to tell people is if you wear stockings or *pantyhose* bring tons they are mighty expensive and pretty crap here, they don't have much in the way of sheer low denier, they are at best 15. I so miss M&S or BHS 10 denier packets of 5 pairs for £5.00; here you would pay $8.00 for one semi-decent 15 denier.

Having said all that I was amazed to discover that K-mart now do a five pack for $7.00 and they were not that bad, however only a few bigger places have K-mart.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Having said all that I was amazed to discover that K-mart now do a five pack for $7.00 and they were not that bad, however only a few bigger places have K-mart.
We don't have K-mart in Welly, do we ?
Old May 10th 2008, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for the ladies, if you have any of the Braun gas hairstyling appliances, they sell the gas bottle here only they are not the same size and do not work. Bring plenty of spares!

Hoover bags too, you may not be able to get the bags that fit your particular hoover / vacuum cleaner. Bring plenty of spares!

Deodorants are very limited - a local brand Rexona (which is poop), good old fashioned Mum roll-on (which is sticky poop) and Dove (I can't abide the stink poop) are readily available. That's it, that is all there is.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by crap coffee
We don't have K-mart in Welly, do we ?
This one:
Kmart Porirua

North City Plaza, Cnr Hagley St & Titahi Bay Road, Porirua
Phone: (04) 237 9876

Sorry I didn't mean it to be THAT big, I copied and pasted from their website.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Deodorants are very limited - a local brand Rexona (which is poop), good old fashioned Mum roll-on (which is sticky poop) and Dove (I can't abide the stink poop) are readily available. That's it, that is all there is.

I use Sebamed Alcohol/Aluminium Free Deodorant spray 24 hr. from pharmacy. better than Dove, Rexona etc. I wish we could have Sanex range here - they are lovely.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 10th 2008 at 11:50 am.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by teebrown
We aren't there yet, but i was told De-humidifier and pens and paper for kids school work.

but interested to see the rest of the list.
Of all the things I could think you might need to bring, none of those would be on my list. The Warehouse and such have an abundance of cheap stationery, the books the kids have for school are quite specific sizes too and I had never seen them in the UK (numbered as they are for sizes). Example of school execrcise books available in supermarket if you want to compare:

http://www.woolworths.co.nz/HomeShop...21&ShelfID=945

Dehumidifiers: unless you want a specific all singing and dancing brand not sold in NZ there are plenty cheap ones here. Since here they are a regular household item, unlike in the UK.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 10th 2008 at 12:09 pm.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For some balance, from my DH: the mens clothing choices here are far more dire than the womens, his greatest wish would be for M&S jeans or trousers in a choice of leg lengths, not one giraffe size leg length that supposed to fit all, sweatshirt type tops without F-ing hoods and Reeboks that don't cost $250 a go. He is desperate for some new clothes.
Old May 11th 2008, 8:23 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I truly wish I had a container load of is Clarks shoes for my 2 younger kids

I can't find a decent pair of shoes especially for my 9 year old girl.

The eldest girl is now wearing $150 Overlander shoes for school we did the Number1 shoes and Dowsons in the first term and $75 later both pairs ended up in the bin, so we have bit the bullet and flashed the cash in the hope that this pair will last the winter, only time will tell
Old May 11th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you already in NZ for cheap books I was recommended on a previous thread to use www.bookdepository.co.uk as they have free worldwide shipping. It seems to be linked to amazon.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
The only thing I truly wish I had a container load of is Clarks shoes for my 2 younger kids

I can't find a decent pair of shoes especially for my 9 year old girl.

The eldest girl is now wearing $150 Overlander shoes for school we did the Number1 shoes and Dowsons in the first term and $75 later both pairs ended up in the bin, so we have bit the bullet and flashed the cash in the hope that this pair will last the winter, only time will tell
That is one thing we will be buying in bulk before we pack. Kids school shoes. We are going to buy at least one pair in each ascending size. Thomas has got big boat feet and still growing. He is needing new shoes each school term.
Me, i not bothered about reeboks and the like. Give me a pair of loafers and i'm happy. Hate wearing the bloody things as it is so as long as i have some decent shoes for work, i'd go barefoot the rest of the time.
Whats kids clothing like? We tend to get most of his from Next or Adams. Me, Matalan!
Old May 12th 2008, 10:35 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcoltom
That is one thing we will be buying in bulk before we pack. Kids school shoes. We are going to buy at least one pair in each ascending size. Thomas has got big boat feet and still growing. He is needing new shoes each school term.
Me, i not bothered about reeboks and the like. Give me a pair of loafers and i'm happy. Hate wearing the bloody things as it is so as long as i have some decent shoes for work, i'd go barefoot the rest of the time.
Whats kids clothing like? We tend to get most of his from Next or Adams. Me, Matalan!
JK Kids, Pumpkin Patch and Farmers pretty much cover everything. The sales are pretty good here for that sort of stuff and most tend to occur at least twice a season.

I went to George before I left and bought 2 sizes of stuff for my youngest, who is nearly 4 now, and we are just using the last of it; we have been here 13 months. Mind you he has grown over 10cm in 12 months

as for school shoes - my youngest and middle one go to a school whee there is no uniform, which is more common here, so don't need school shoes; just jandals for the summer and trainers and indoor slippers in the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.