British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What are our chances ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-our-chances-405452/)

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 9:38 am

What are our chances ??

I really want to go to NZ now (well in Jan/Feb) but we're not getting much feedback from jobs (IT) unless we're actually in the country! Well for PR visa, we reach 140 WITH a job offer, but nowhere near if we don't have an offer! So what would our chances be if we sold up and moved over on the visitors visa, found a job and applied onshore ?? We have 3 kids (9yrs, 2yrs, and 1yr) so its a massive risk - and one we wouldn't take lightly but my heart belongs somewhere else and everything just irritates me about being here now!

Is it something you would consider ?? Who knows, we may get a job offer in the meantime but I want the ball rolling at least :(

Michelle & Carl

DiffordA Nov 1st 2006 12:11 pm

Re: What are our chances ??

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I really want to go to NZ now (well in Jan/Feb) but we're not getting much feedback from jobs (IT) unless we're actually in the country! Well for PR visa, we reach 140 WITH a job offer, but nowhere near if we don't have an offer! So what would our chances be if we sold up and moved over on the visitors visa, found a job and applied onshore ?? We have 3 kids (9yrs, 2yrs, and 1yr) so its a massive risk - and one we wouldn't take lightly but my heart belongs somewhere else and everything just irritates me about being here now!

Is it something you would consider ?? Who knows, we may get a job offer in the meantime but I want the ball rolling at least :(

Michelle & Carl

Hi there!

I'm not sure I can offer you too much advice but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone! My husband and I have found ourselves in a similar situation. We are both Graphic Designers and have had some great feedback to job applications but unfortunately people have to see us and our portfolios before they will take the chance and commit to employing us. We had 105 point on EOI without a job offer so could get in the pool at least but there was little chance of being selected so we have just been sat in there waiting. I used a job offer to get us selected but then unfortunately the offer turned out to be freelance based which has now left us in limbo land, we are still officially selected but until someone gets round to looking at our file we wont know whether this will stand now the offer has been retracted or whether we are going to be put back in the pool (the most likely option). It is sooo frustrating.

We did, however, get a glimmer of hope when we got to speak to a NZIS representative at the Expo in London a few weeks back. Because of our ages, 26 and 27, we are able to get to NZ on a working holiday visa and then work on getting employment once there. With jobs secured (hopefully) we will be able to apply for our PR from that end.

I appreciate this may not help you much as I don't know your ages and as we don't have children the risk is much less as it is only the two of us being uprooted.

Our next dilemma came in the form of our house here in the UK. As it is a new build it hasn't had chance to gain us much equity yet which we had hoped we could use once sold to get us to NZ. Unfortunately we now feel selling would be a waste of the money we have invested into it as the value should go up much faster next year as the development finishes. So, we plan to rent it out now which is fine but we now don't have the money we need to get to NZ!!
:mad:

It is all soooooo frustrating. We are desperate, like you to go as soon as possible. As you said, your heart is already somewhere else. I sometimes sit in work and think I just don't care about your petty issues coz I wont be here to worry about them soon. My poor husband is desperately unhappy in his current job and I just want to be able to say to him, it's OK, we can go, lets hand in our notice. But it is never that simple is it. We now have to save a few thousand pounds before we feel we can go comfortably without risking too much and that means more time here!!! :scared:

Anyway, i am sorry to ramble on and not really offer you any guidance. I just wanted to let you know that there was someone else living that same frustrated life, just wanting to scream out every 5 minutes because of the pent up feelings.

I am sure you will find the right answer in your hearts and with some careful consideration, a bit of patience if you can muster any (I know I can't) and the will to succeed you will get there!

I wish you and your family all the best! Keep smiling! :)

katracy Nov 1st 2006 12:21 pm

Michelle & Carl

We know how you feel. My husband is also in IT and can only get a job in nz if we live in nz. i can get a job in Sept when my two years post qualification is up but at the moment with all the cuts in the NHS :mad: i can't get a job here, but yet in nz they are desperate for me and would go tomorrow to work!!!! Can't win. Keep going because they must be light somewhere at the end of the tunnel!! :scared:

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 12:25 pm

Hiya

Thankyou for your reply! It's such a nightmare isn't it ?! I'm eating, sleeping and even dreaming NZ - it's so frustrating :(

We have the equity on our house, and its a very sought after area now too with muti-million ££ development right on my doorstep going on ... I have a loooong list of people waiting to view my house and had all my appraisal's done - just no definite date etc :( I have the estate agent on hold, thats annoying me too!

My hubby is also very very unhappy in his work - he was promised 'a big career jump' and has nothing more to show in all the time he's been with this company grrr. I've just lost my job (Reg.Childminder) as the parents of kids I looked after can't work cause of illness (??? huh) so theres nothing really holding us back now and hubby only has to give 1 weeks notice!

We WILL get there, we'll get each other through ;) Good Luck for yours too!

Michelle & Carl

katracy Nov 1st 2006 12:29 pm

Hiya

Thankyou for your reply! It's such a nightmare isn't it ?! I'm eating, sleeping and even dreaming NZ - it's so frustrating :(

We have the equity on our house, and its a very sought after area now too with muti-million ££ development right on my doorstep going on ... I have a loooong list of people waiting to view my house and had all my appraisal's done - just no definite date etc :( I have the estate agent on hold, thats annoying me too!

My hubby is also very very unhappy in his work - he was promised 'a big career jump' and has nothing more to show in all the time he's been with this company grrr. I've just lost my job (Reg.Childminder) as the parents of kids I looked after can't work cause of illness (??? huh) so theres nothing really holding us back now and hubby only has to give 1 weeks notice!

We WILL get there, we'll get each other through ;) Good Luck for yours too!

Michelle & Carl

Thats what i keep telling myself, we WILL get there!! We are in the process fo selling the house, cars, anything, to see how much money we can pool together. Move in with my Mother (OMG!!! :scared: ) and then go from there. We were talking about just going, hiring a camper van and see what happens!! I Also have three children!!

DiffordA Nov 1st 2006 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by katracy
Thats what i keep telling myself, we WILL get there!! We are in the process fo selling the house, cars, anything, to see how much money we can pool together. Move in with my Mother (OMG!!! :scared: ) and then go from there. We were talking about just going, hiring a camper van and see what happens!! I Also have three children!!

I have to say I really admire all of you who are tackling this with children in tow as well. I am a nervous wreck of impatience so i dread to think what it would be like if I was considering children too. We are doing this now for the very reason that it is just the two of us at the moment, with no major ties here it should make things easier. I am just a natural born worrier and want us to do this comfortably rather than be scraping by once we get there. The silly thing is, we could both get well paid jobs soon after arrival and all the back-up cash we are waiting here to save now will be 'going spare'!! If only eh? Trouble is you can't rely on that and I don't want us to be left high and dry if we struggle to get work.

I have faith in us all making it happen anyway, nothing is going to stop us now!!

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 12:56 pm

Aww how old are your kids and were do you 'hope' to settle ?? I personally want anywhere above Auckland but will go anywhere just to get my feet in! And how brave are you moving in with your mother ?! I'd personally rather stay put lol - nah its the inlaws I don't like/get on with at all. We're going to stay in a holiday home first off I think then look for rentals! I've even started packing up non-essentials !!! shredded thorugh all the old paperwork we didn't need lol - see I'm getting ready .... give us a viiiiiiisssssaaaaaa please !!!

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 1:19 pm

If I didn't have kids, I'd have been long gone! :D It's only the worries of kids thats holding us back truly! We know he can get a job as we had so much interest in him at the NZ Expo in Manchester - just taking too long !!! I just need to know if it CAN be done onshore - thats my ticket to start it all off! If I just get that confirmation, then we'll be off. We have enough equity to do this though - how you're coping I'll never know! Maybe we could win lottery tonight between us and buy our way in haha

katracy Nov 1st 2006 1:27 pm

If I didn't have kids, I'd have been long gone! :D It's only the worries of kids thats holding us back truly! We know he can get a job as we had so much interest in him at the NZ Expo in Manchester - just taking too long !!! I just need to know if it CAN be done onshore - thats my ticket to start it all off! If I just get that confirmation, then we'll be off. We have enough equity to do this though - how you're coping I'll never know! Maybe we could win lottery tonight between us and buy our way in haha

I have been driven to play Gala Bingo on-line to see if i can win enough to move!!!! Will move anywhere in NZ, like you said just to get in then where ever!!! Kids are 8,9 and 17 all can't wait, ready for an adventure. My 9 yr old has just had a birthday and is saving for a snowboard!!!! :) Just think we WILL all been there next year and will have a good laugh at all our worrying!! At least you have some people looking at your house, ours in on an old council estate, not alot of interest yet!! :mad: My husband has applied for a job with IBM, so keeping our fingers crossed. he also hates his job and like you with live, eat and sleep nz!!!

:) like you i have started packing, getting rid of old games, toys (don't tell them) and any rubbish i can fine!! Just in case we have to go quick!!!

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 1:35 pm

lol at Gala Bingo - maybe I could try that out too! My hubby also applied for a job with IBM too haha !!!!! He works directly with IBM in his current job so he's trying to use that one lol

My eldest is 9 and also can't wait to move! He wants to go snowboarding too - dunno why though ?! Not on a sunny beach :D

Oh and Immigration should just grant us a Visa for all this worry and stress ... I mean to go through all this and still keep going for it, it shows we're determined and desperate lol ?! I've been boxing and selling stuff for weeks now ... made quite a bit too, didn't think I had that much 'junk'. Well not junk but what we didn't need anyway! Plenty more to go through yet though!

DiffordA Nov 1st 2006 1:50 pm

lol at Gala Bingo - maybe I could try that out too! My hubby also applied for a job with IBM too haha !!!!! He works directly with IBM in his current job so he's trying to use that one lol

My eldest is 9 and also can't wait to move! He wants to go snowboarding too - dunno why though ?! Not on a sunny beach :D

Oh and Immigration should just grant us a Visa for all this worry and stress ... I mean to go through all this and still keep going for it, it shows we're determined and desperate lol ?! I've been boxing and selling stuff for weeks now ... made quite a bit too, didn't think I had that much 'junk'. Well not junk but what we didn't need anyway! Plenty more to go through yet though!

I like the idea of the bingo, or at least the big win!! My husband has lined us up with a few weeks worth of lottery tickets so fingers crossed!

Luckily we haven't been in our new house for long (not that we can't sit still for 5 minutes! :rolleyes: ) so we haven't accumulated too much rubbish to get rid of. Just a couple of cars and a treadmill! Oh and there is the small matter of a bunny rabbit that we need to rehome - poor thing. So hopefully once we have the funds in place we can pack up prettty quickly and get over there. We aren't too far off now, should be able to make plans for next March time which is bearable! Just 2 winters in a row to face!! :eek:

UKNZAUS Nov 1st 2006 2:08 pm

We don't have pets (don't have time for them! lol 3 kids and a hubby is more than enough!) so we don't have that worry ... rabbits usually go quite quickly though, esp at christmas time!

Two winters in a row doesn't bother me as I will be super duper busy sorting houses and everything else out - once thats done it should be free time to spend in the summer lazing on the beaches :D yay

katracy Nov 1st 2006 2:36 pm

We don't have pets (don't have time for them! lol 3 kids and a hubby is more than enough!) so we don't have that worry ... rabbits usually go quite quickly though, esp at christmas time!

Two winters in a row doesn't bother me as I will be super duper busy sorting houses and everything else out - once thats done it should be free time to spend in the summer lazing on the beaches :D yay

We have a cross trainer that i can't sell. It makes an excellent clothes horse!!! We have a horse to sell and maybe the dog, depends on the money front for him i afraid. I keep saying that i am going to have a car boot sell, but then all the stuff gets in my way and i end up giving to charity!!! Is the job with IBM temporary or perment? The one my hubby has gone for is only a 6mth contract, but its a foot in the door :)

Buzzy--Bee Nov 1st 2006 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Because of our ages, 26 and 27, we are able to get to NZ on a working holiday visa and then work on getting employment once there.

My friend has done just this. He had a dream to become an outdoor sports instructor. He has the qualification, but never made it a career in the UK, and instead went into IT. After 7 years of that he realised the dream of being an outdoor sports instructor wasn't going to go away. He also decided that NZ was a great place to be in this type of employment.

But no-one in NZ would employ him as an instructor without meeting him, so he got a WHV, went to Christchurch, got a 6 month contract in IT working for Hewlett Packard as that was immediately available, and started getting himself known in the outdoor sports industry.

2 years later he has PR, he lives in Akaroa, works as an outdoor sports instructor and is "living the dream".

So it can be done.....

:beer:

Buzzy

katracy Nov 1st 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My friend has done just this. He had a dream to become an outdoor sports instructor. He has the qualification, but never made it a career in the UK, and instead went into IT. After 7 years of that he realised the dream of being an outdoor sports instructor wasn't going to go away. He also decided that NZ was a great place to be in this type of employment.

But no-one in NZ would employ him as an instructor without meeting him, so he got a WHV, went to Christchurch, got a 6 month contract in IT working for Hewlett Packard as that was immediately available, and started getting himself known in the outdoor sports industry.

2 years later he has PR, he lives in Akaroa, works as an outdoor sports instructor and is "living the dream".

So it can be done.....

:beer:

Buzzy

I think if you want something badly enough, we get it!! My daughter is learning to be a dog groomer, and has just found out that there are short of these and is talking about starting her own business out there. at this rate she will be out there before us!!!! :)