Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What other languages do you speak?

What other languages do you speak?

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What other languages do you speak?

Originally Posted by Justcol
no need to learn Chinese, they are all busy learning the globally recognised international language English
There is no need to feel inferior because one doesn't speak another language, however, to learn Mandarin for example is a great opportunity to broaden ones usually very limited horizon. To have access to such a different, ancient, interesting cuture is definitely worth the effort.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
I work in a health clinic in Auckland and I would be better placed learning - Japanese; Korean; Samoan; Tongan; French etc. Occasionally we get a person from China. I have learnt a few key sentences in a variety of languages and try to learn some more each time I meet someone who speaks a different language. I find that this is really appreciated by everyone, plus it allows me to grow my language skills.

I am also able to speak conversational Norwegian, but is not used very much here
One of the many things I love most about living and working (Health system) in South Auckland is the opportunity to learn many conversational languages. IMHO learning languages in school is limiting, understanding the concepts and values of any culture brings the language alive through comprehension.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to behold

Welsh= 1st language
English= Fluent (stating the obvious a bit, I know.)
French= Pretty much fluent, but could always improve.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:34 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hola. Yo hablo a espanol, pero solo un poco.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:57 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Having lived in Auckland when we first arrived and recently visited, I did not at all feel there was heaps of Asians languages being spoken, unless you frequented shops/restaurants that had a predominantly Asian clientele.

Regardless, if you are feeling inferior have you tried learning simple greetings with will help you communicate with your fellow Aucklanders? A little bit can go a long way.

http://www.standardmandarin.com/chinese-phrases

Is a good place to start. Assuming they are speaking Mandarin, but you get the drift.

I really think having at least another language is a fantastic skill to have, but would stop short of saying it should be compulsory in schools, I can't imagine getting language teachers out into the remoter rural schools for example. The best way is to immerse yourself in the language you would wish to learn.

I can speak conversational Swedish and know all the swear words in Finnish.
My favourite language is French - but I would love to learn Chinese as there will be heaps of good jobs in nz if you speak both chinese and english - in tourism industry and in business here.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Nov 4th 2013 at 6:10 am.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:24 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Hola. Yo hablo a espanol, pero solo un poco.
Yo tambien [I think!]

I did French at school and can get by but it takes me a couple of days to get into it. I had to speak French in Quebec recently and we coped, sort of!
I can speak a few words of various languages, picked up on my travels- some useful, some not.
If I go anywhere I try and learn the basics as a minimum-please, thank you, goodbye, I can't speak xxxx, Do you speak English etc. I think that's only polite rather than just expect everyone else to speak my language.

I've also got an O level in Latin- unusual for someone who went to a comp in the NE of England! It's not much use when travelling though
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I only know french - I can read it and make rather hopeless conversation. It does amuse me to have people at work who are 'francophiles' though - they go on long vacations there and spend time learning the language. For me it would be a Chinese language first, then probably Hindi. I'd also have a go at Spanish.
Growing up in the UK, which I do believe is a multi-cultural society and melting pot, I do love hearing the multitude of languages that are spoken around here on the North Shore.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I can get buy with French, sometimes German and Spanish as well but very limited

I'm now learning Mandarin and Russian for some reason. Make use of the small spare time I have these days
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

I speak Franglais, and I recently completed an introductory course in Te Reo.

I know languages at school are taught primarily for commercial and economic reasons but i think it is hugely important to keep alive the 'indigenous' languages too, just like Gaelic in Ireland. No language, no culture.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My Mum taught me gaelic as a child . These days I can only count to 10 and remember odd random words and phrases.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I speak the odd bit of French & German, a smattering of Japanese, 2 words of Russian, I'm reasonably good at English but am fluent in talking utter b*ll*cks
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What other languages do you speak?

Originally Posted by BEVS
My Mum taught me gaelic as a child .
Gaelic Irish? Did that at school. I can do a little German and more French than I've ever had occasion to require.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I speak the odd bit of French & German, a smattering of Japanese, 2 words of Russian, I'm reasonably good at English but am fluent in talking utter b*ll*cks
hows that differ from total b*ll*cks?
maybe on the wrong side of the tracks???
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Linguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
i think it is hugely important to keep alive the 'indigenous' languages too, just like Gaelic in Ireland. No language, no culture.
Agreed
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about

my family speak French as we lived there for 8 years prior to coming here and my daughter took French as an option to get some easy credits but was external course via computer link, very badly organised and she spoke better French than the tutor but she got some easy points and taught fellow student too. local college offers Japanese which is quite useful and Maori (no comment)