British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What are the odds? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-odds-559532/)

Soppydot4 Sep 4th 2008 8:21 pm

What are the odds?

Well we arrived in NZ last Friday evening and this Thursday I have found out from a doctor in NZ that I have a tumor on my thyroid gland which needs further investigation.

We are here on a skilled migrant work to residence visa because my OH didn't have his electrician's provisional licence, he now has this and also a job offer but he has to complete 3 months work before residency is confirmed. As non-residents we are having to pay for all medical bills but if it turns out to be malignant we will have to return to the UK, not just purely for financial reasons but I think Immigration would decline our residency. We wouldn't want to get everyone settled only to have to move back to the UK. The doctor did say if it was benign and it was removed then that would be seen as a cure so Immigration should confirm residency.

I feel absolutely gutted mostly because there is a very real chance of us having to return to the UK. All this work, all the tears and sweat for the rug to be ripped from underneath us at the last hurdle.:(:(:(

Just needed to share this as my head is all over the place.

love30stm Sep 4th 2008 8:31 pm

Re: What are the odds?

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 6749633)
Well we arrived in NZ last Friday evening and this Thursday I have found out from a doctor in NZ that I have a tumor on my thyroid gland which needs further investigation.

We are here on a skilled migrant work to residence visa because my OH didn't have his electrician's provisional licence, he now has this and also a job offer but he has to complete 3 months work before residency is confirmed. As non-residents we are having to pay for all medical bills but if it turns out to be malignant we will have to return to the UK, not just purely for financial reasons but I think Immigration would decline our residency. We wouldn't want to get everyone settled only to have to move back to the UK. The doctor did say if it was benign and it was removed then that would be seen as a cure so Immigration should confirm residency.

I feel absolutely gutted mostly because there is a very real chance of us having to return to the UK. All this work, all the tears and sweat for the rug to be ripped from underneath us at the last hurdle.:(:(:(

sorry to hear, but you may be ok, dont think the worst xx

how did you get to find out about your tumour? was you feeling Ill or something?

It was good that it was found though...

Soppydot4 Sep 4th 2008 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6749656)
sorry to hear, but you may be ok, dont think the worst xx

how did you get to find out about your tumour? was you feeling Ill or something?

It was good that it was found though...

Thanks. I felt a lump on my neck just above my collar bone. I was hoping it was a cyst but its mostly tumor and partially cyst, although I think the actual tumor itself is fairly small.

We are staying with my sister at the moment and were hoping to buy a house fairly near and the thought of leaving her and her family again is absolutely gutting.

Batty Sep 4th 2008 9:09 pm

Ah that's horrible. I really hope it's benign, not just for the residency but for you obviously. How long will it be before you know? Going privately will speed things up probably???

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 4th 2008 9:43 pm

That's a complete bummer, really sorry to hear it. Hoping it's benign & is removed quickly so that you can get on with your new life here :wub:

garryhg Sep 4th 2008 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 6749633)

Hi Jacky here,I was diagnosed with exactly the same thing 2 years ago,turned out to benine ,thankfully but had to have it removed pretty quick as it grew to 2cm in size withing 4 months ,and started displacing my trachia...causing an obstruction...are they going to do a needle aspiration first and test the cells?if so and it turns out to be benine it might not require any treatment in the near furture, which means this shoudn't cause you any problems with visas...this is aparantly quite common...so it might not be as bad as you think...

Iremember my doctor saying to me,even if it turns out to be malignant they will just simply remove it and its gone...he has never lost a patient to thyroid cancer yet,it is quite curable...as cancer goes its one of the better ones to get...if you know what i mean...

I cant comment on how this will effect your visas,but just wanted to put your mind at rest regarding your thyroid...hope this helps...Jacky

Soppydot4 Sep 4th 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 6750008)
Hi Jacky here,I was diagnosed with exactly the same thing 2 years ago,turned out to benine ,thankfully but had to have it removed pretty quick as it grew to 2cm in size withing 4 months ,and started displacing my trachia...causing an obstruction...are they going to do a needle aspiration first and test the cells?if so and it turns out to be benine it might not require any treatment in the near furture, which means this shoudn't cause you any problems with visas...this is aparantly quite common...so it might not be as bad as you think...

Iremember my doctor saying to me,even if it turns out to be malignant they will just simply remove it and its gone...he has never lost a patient to thyroid cancer yet,it is quite curable...as cancer goes its one of the better ones to get...if you know what i mean...

I cant comment on how this will effect your visas,but just wanted to put your mind at rest regarding your thyroid...hope this helps...Jacky

Hi Jacky, yes I'm having a needle aspiration this afternoon. Hopefully we'll know sometime next week either way. From going to the doctor on Monday morning I've had blood tests, an ultrasound and will be having the aspiration done all within 5 days. Even privately in the UK I doubt it would have been so quick but then again the UK does have 60ish million people to look after.

I'm glad it all turned out ok for you and thank you for your support it is very welcome.

I'm in the glass is half empty brigade so don't think it'll turn out that way for me ...

garryhg Sep 4th 2008 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 6750189)
Hi Jacky, yes I'm having a needle aspiration this afternoon. Hopefully we'll know sometime next week either way. From going to the doctor on Monday morning I've had blood tests, an ultrasound and will be having the aspiration done all within 5 days. Even privately in the UK I doubt it would have been so quick but then again the UK does have 60ish million people to look after.

I'm glad it all turned out ok for you and thank you for your support it is very welcome.

I'm in the glass is half empty brigade so don't think it'll turn out that way for me ...

when I had my needle aspiration done they were hoping to remove some fluid to test,but there wasn't any fluid there,so they had to go back in and remove cells for testing,so don't be alarmed if this happens,it doesn't mean anything is bad..it just means its doesn't have any fluid in there...i was lucky in scotland,from my needle aspiration to operation was only about a month...but i think it was the size of the tumour that was causing concern...and they managed to take out half my thyroid and leave the rest and the para thyroid glands,which means no medication...

but fingers crossed for you this afternoon ...will be thinking about you...let us know how you get on...its quite a painless procedure...Jacky

SarahB Sep 5th 2008 2:17 am

I hope everything turns out all right for you.

I had a lump on my neck years and years ago, they said it was a cyst and when I had it out it turned out to be a benign tumour. I still had radio-therapy on the area for 4 weeks at Addenbrookes and then they said its all gone and they never need to see me again. :) So I hope yours is nothing sinister too and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck and chin up!!

SarahB

Genesis Sep 5th 2008 2:31 am

Dear Soppydot, I too tend to always fear the worst with my health and I have NEVER been right about my worries. I have an understanding of how you feel and wish there was something I could do to make you feel better. Great news from Jacky though aye? Please let us know the GOOD news next week!!

Look forward to a long and healthy life in NZ!!!!!!

Thinking of you and your kin,

warmest regards from Dom and his family.

I will get my daughters ( 2 X 5year olds! )to say a prayer for you!!!!

XX

lardyl Sep 5th 2008 4:51 am

Can't add more than our thoughts are with you, wishing you all the best.
The Lardies.

cally49 Sep 5th 2008 5:36 am

Thinking of you and what a rough start to your new life...But tip out whatever you have in that half empty glass and refill it im sure it will be half full If you take another look.... All the best to you and your family
Take Care
Cally xx:)

shirl Sep 5th 2008 8:02 am

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am sending POSITIVE vibes for good news for you. You know that positive thinking often helps in situations like these. All will be well - and so it is.

weejie Sep 5th 2008 8:23 am

Thinking of you and your family. Like others have said think positive,glass half full not empty. Fingers and everything else xd for you:wub:

Phyllis

southerner Sep 5th 2008 8:38 am

All the best - hope it all turns out well.:D